Internal Governing Policies
#145 - Use of University Facilities and Grounds - Lantz Building
Approved: July 24, 1997
Monitor: Vice President for Student Affairs
The following time periods of priority use have been agreed upon by the regular users of the Lantz Building:
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Intercollegiate athletics (in season)
6:00 p.m. - Closing
Intramurals and Student, staff and faculty recreation
There are agreed upon exceptions to the above general rule for use of specific spaces in the building. Some of the exceptions follow:
- Physical Education will attempt not to schedule 2:00 p.m. classes in areas that would conflict with intercollegiate athletic practice.
- During basketball season, the gymnasium is scheduled from 3:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for men's and women's basketball practice.
- From the end of the Fall Semester until the spring break (three months) the Field House is reserved for intercollegiate athletic use from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- The Field House is reserved during the heavy demand winter months for one all-day Sunday indoor soccer tournament and one indoor field hockey tournament.
- Intramural championship sporting events are scheduled around intercollegiate athletic events or they are scheduled for use of special areas after the varsity season is completed.
- University Board concerts are occasionally scheduled for the gymnasium. An attempt should be made to schedule such events prior to, or after, basketball season, or on winter weekends when the men and women basketball teams and the wrestling team are out of town.
- Student recreation clubs obtain scheduled use of specific facilities through the Office of the Director of Recreational Sports. Such scheduling is done to avoid time and space conflicts with classes, intercollegiate athletics and scheduled intramural programs.
- Faculty and staff use of Lantz facilities for recreational purposes is tied directly to the time and area use set aside for student recreational purposes. When special University Board or athletic events preclude the use of University facilities for student recreation use, the same policy is in effect for faculty and staff recreation.
- Panther Club members share use of Lantz facilities with students on Wednesday and Friday evenings and on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings.
- Use of recreational facilities by ROTC students is handled the same as for other students.
- University commencement activities use Lantz Building facilities on three weekends during the year. This activity takes precedence over all other scheduled activities.
- Phase Three of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is scheduled for the Field House and Swimming Pool from 5:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. daily.
- The Office of Campus Scheduling is responsible for scheduling all facilities with the exception of classes, which are scheduled by the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.