Internal Governing Policies
#165 - Animals
Approved: May 10, 1989
Nomenclature changes: July 16, 1997
Monitor: Vice President for Business Affairs
Dogs, cats and other pets are permitted on University premises only under the following conditions:
- Guide dogs for the visually handicapped are permitted without a leash.
- Other dogs are permitted only if they are leashed and under the direct control of an individual. They must display tags indicating that they are properly licensed and that they have had a current rabies shot. Dogs which are unleashed, unattended, or not properly tagged will be impounded if found on University premises.
- Cats and other pets are permitted on University premises only when they are under the direct control of an individual.
Animals are permitted in University buildings only under the following conditions:
- Laboratory animals used for research, observation or demonstration purposes are permitted. These animals are the direct responsibility of the person in charge of the project for which they are being used.
- Guide dogs are permitted while guiding the visually handicapped.
Animals are not permitted in University Apartments or residence halls with the exception of guide dogs.
Public Health laws prohibit all animals with the exception of guide dogs in public food service areas.