Check back in Fall 2014
All faculty, staff and student organizations are welcome to request a classroom presentation from the Office of Study Abroad. We are happy to provide a student panel, power point presentation, or focused discussion on international education opportunities. To request a presentation at any time throughout the year, please complete this online form: http://castle.eiu.edu/edabroad/classroom_presentation.php
Study Abroad 101
- Per Internal Governing Policy (IGP) #56: All international education opportunities for credit must be administered through the Office of Study Abroad (OSA). This includes but is not limited to field work, study abroad, and internships.
- Students interested in study abroad:
- Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA at the time of application.
- Be enrolled full time at EIU and in good judicial standing.
- Non-EIU students may apply as guest students, and should contact the Office of Study Abroad to do learn more.
- Any major is welcome to study abroad. Course approval forms are completed prior to departure to ensure a student’s continued success toward graduation.
- Students may study abroad at any time in their academic career at EIU, following their first semester.
- It is preferred that transfer students to complete at least one semester at EIU prior to study abroad.This may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the intended academic department and the Office of Study Abroad.
- As of Fall 2007, it was declared that students can no longer take courses abroad pass / fail. All courses taken abroad are taken for credit, and the grade (except in the case of CR / NC internships or similar arrangements).
- There are many funding options for EIU students who wish to study abroad.
- Our dedicated Financial Aid representative is Mandi Starwalt (firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-581-7509).
- All study abroad students should consider filing a FAFSA (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) if they have not already, as it can provide for additional loan and grant opportunities.
- Full time EIU students with a 2.5 GPA or higher are eligible for Office of Study Abroad Grants. These are competitive financial need based and merit based awards for students planning to study abroad. More information can be found in the Student Financial Aid section of our website.
Memos & Reports
For a look at the previous academic year’s study abroad statistics, please consult our Fast Facts: Study Abroad Fast Facts (EIU)