Mission and Goals
Eastern Illinois University Center for Gender and Sexual Diversity
The EIU Center for Gender and Sexual Diversity aspires to create an inclusive community by instilling a culture of respect, advocacy, and empowerment towards an open, safe, and just campus.
- Educate the campus community on LGBTQA+ issues, topics and general awareness.
- Create social outlets for interaction among campus and community members.
- Create a community-wide network of trained faculty, staff, students, and community members
- Promote equality for all within every aspect of campus life.
- Supports the developmental process, well-being, and retention of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and/or ally (LGBTQA) students, faculty, and staff
- Creates a positive and welcoming environment that contributes to LGBTQA+ students' academic success
- Provides resources and referrals to address the very specific and unique needs of LGBTQA students, staff, and faculty, including recognizing diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
- Educates the entire EIU community in an effort to address homophobia, heterosexism, and transphobia and how they intersect with race, ethnicity, religion, and culture
- Increase awareness of LGBTQA+ concerns by coordinating and communicating resources (e.g., creating liaisons, providing web resources, programming)
- Communicate continuing campus needs to appropriate administration
- Promote inclusion of LGBTQA+ experiences and contributions in all aspects of campus life (e.g., curriculum, student life, administration, and faculty and staff governance)
- Provide support and advocacy on behalf of students, faculty, and staff who face discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Eastern Illinois University Mission Statement
Eastern Illinois University is a public comprehensive university that offers superior, accessible undergraduate and graduate education. Students learn the methods and results of free and rigorous inquiry in the arts, humanities, sciences, and professions, guided by a faculty known for its excellence in teaching, research, creative activity, and service. The University community is committed to diversity and inclusion and fosters opportunities for student-faculty scholarship and applied learning experiences within a student-centered campus culture. Throughout their education, students refine their abilities to reason and to communicate clearly so as to become responsible citizens and leaders.
Eastern Illinois University statement of Diversity, Nondiscrimination, and Affirmative Action
America draws its strength and vitality from the diversity of its people. Eastern Illinois University is enriched by building a campus that celebrates and draws upon the talents of all its students, faculty, and staff.
Eastern Illinois University provides equality of opportunity in education and employment for all students and employees. Discrimination based upon race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis of discrimination precluded by federal and state statues, is strictly prohibited.
Moreover, as prescribed by federal guidelines, the University is committed to a program of affirmative action to alter patterns of employment which indicate under-representation of members of minority groups and women. The University further pledges itself to a program of affirmative action as prescribed by statute to employ, and advance in employment, qualified disabled individuals, Vietnam-era veterans, and special disabled veterans.