State and National Resources
American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois
The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois is a non-profit, non-partisan organization, dedicated to protecting freedom, liberty, equality and justice for all within the United States. With a membership of more than 23,000 across Illinois - a total of more than 550,000 across the nation - the ACLU accomplishes its goals through litigation, lobbying and education programs.
The mission of Equality Illinois is to secure, protect and defend equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Illinois.
Illinois Department of Human Rights
The Department of Human Rights administers the Illinois Human Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status (with regard to employment), familial status (with regard to real estate transactions), age, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service, unfavorable military discharge, and sexual orientation.
Illinois Gender Advocates
Illinois Gender Advocates exist to bring equality and prosperity to the transgender people and our allies in Illinois through public education, networking, and government petition.
Illinois Safe Schools Alliance
The Illinois Safe Schools Alliance (the Alliance) mission is to promote safety, support and healthy development for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth, in Illinois schools and communities, through advocacy, education, youth organizing and research.
Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago
The Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago is a nonprofit membership organization of judges, attorneys, law students, and affiliated law workers.
Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
PFLAG (Parents, families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) celebrates diversity and envisions a society that embraces everyone, including those of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities.
Stonewall Association of Illinois
The Stonewall Association of Illinois is an umbrella organization composed of men and women of all ages whose mission is to encourage a sense of community which promotes unity, self acceptance, support, the sharing of ideas and interests, and the building of a supportive network of friends though social activities.
Rainbow Families of Illinois
Rainbow Families of Illinois is a non-profit, community-based organization that includes lesbian and gay parents and their children and those considering parenthood. The mission of Rainbow Families is to build and maintain a strong and caring community, recognizing the broad diversity and varied interests among our families.
Listed below are some of the leading national organizations providing resources, networking, crisis aid, and information on legal issues for the LGBTQA community.
- Advocates for Youth
- Affirmation (Gay Mormons)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- American Institute of Bisexuality
- Amnesty International
- Art of Transliness
- Asexuality Visibility and Education Network
- Bisexual Resource Center
- Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE)
- Current and Prospective Student Guide
- Dignity USA (Gay Catholics)
- Everyone Is Gay
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)
- Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund
- Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC)
- Gay Rights Change
- Gay Straight Alliance Network International
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network
- The Gender Book
- Gender Education & Advocacy
- GLBT National Help Center
- GLBT National Youth Talkline
- GLBT Student Pride
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- IntegrityUSA (Gay Episcopalians)
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHC)
- It Gets Better Campaign
- Intersex Society of North America
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Lead with Love
- Marriage Equality USA
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
- National Lesbian and Gay Law Association
- National Runaway Switchboard
- Network Q
- Out and Proud
- Out Proud Families
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- The Parents Project
- Queer Resources Directory
- Service members Legal Defense Network (SLDN)
- Sexual Minority Youth Assistance League (SMYAL)
- Soulforce.org (LGBT Faith)
- Survivor Project
- The National Coalition for LGBT Health
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- The Trevor Project
- You Can Play (LGBT Athletes)
- Youth Resource