Community Invited to Help Celebrate EIU HomecomingOct-05-2012
Eastern Illinois University will celebrate Homecoming 2012, "Pump Up the Blue," with several events incorporating the community throughout the week of Oct. 8.
Of particular community interest are the coronation on Monday; Family Fun Night on Tuesday; and many Saturday events, including the pancake breakfast, 2.5K race, parade and football game.
Throughout the week, Charleston businesses and residents are invited to participate in Paint the Town Blue by offering "Billy's Bucks" food discounts and specials, as well as showing Panther Pride through EIU-themed window displays, marquee signage, yard signs and more.
EIU alumni, students, faculty and staff are invited to enter the Show Me The Blue photo contest with their "Best Individual" and "Best Group" photos of themselves, family or friends wearing EIU blue. To enter, go to Facebook, friend "EI&U Pump Up the Blue 2012" and tag "EI&U Pump Up the Blue 2012" in the photos being submitted. Winners will be chosen daily and featured online throughout EIU Homecoming Week. Prizes will be awarded.
The parade will be broadcast live on WEIU-TV (Your 13 channel on Consolidated Communications cable) and on the WEIU website, www.weiu.net (click "Streaming Video").
To view details on all Homecoming events -- as well as download EIU ringtones and desktop wallpaper -- visit the website at www.eiu.edu/homecoming.
The public is invited to attend the following EIU Homecoming 2012 activities. Events are free unless otherwise noted.
Monday, Oct. 8
- 7 p.m.: Royal Blue Homecoming Coronation. McAfee Gym South.
Tuesday, Oct. 9
- 7 p.m.: Family Fun Night, featuring BINGO, refreshments, carnival games, inflatables and prizes for all ages. Grand and University ballrooms, MLK Jr. Union.
Friday, Oct. 12
- 1 p.m.: Homecoming Golf Outing. $80 per player, with proceeds helping to support EIU student-athletes. Registration begins at 11:30 a.m. For details, see www.eiupantherclub.com. Charleston Country Club.
- 7 p.m.: Homecoming Pep Rally, Yell Like Hell and Who Wants to be a Mascot? featuring student cheers/chants, dance routines and contests. McAfee Gym South.
Saturday, Oct. 13
- 6 a.m.: Rotary All-You-Can-Eat Pancake Breakfast. $6 for adults, $3 for age 10 and younger. Former Domino's Pizza parking lot (northwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and Seventh Street).
- 9 a.m.: Homecoming 2.5K Race. This 1.5-mile run/walk, sponsored by the EIU Department of Recreation Administration and the City of Charleston, begins at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Seventh Street. Registration begins at 7:45 a.m.; entry fee is $10, which includes gift pack and refreshments from McDonald's. Awards for top male and female finishers in each category: run, walk and wheelchair. Prize for best full-body costume. Register online at www.eiu.edu/homecoming/race.php.
- 9:30 a.m.: Homecoming Parade, which will begin at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Seventh Street, and head north on Seventh Street, west on Monroe Avenue, south on Sixth Street, west on Polk Avenue, south on Division Street, and east on Grant Avenue (aka Panther Way), ending at the tailgate area at O'Brien Stadium.
- 10:30 a.m.: Billy's Backyard Tailgate, featuring a kids area; free food; inflatable games; live entertainment; giveaways; and Alumni Tent City, where faculty and staff from many departments will visit with alumni and guests. O'Brien Field Tailgate Area.
- 1:30 p.m.: EIU vs. Jacksonville State football game. $15. O'Brien Field.
- 6 p.m.: Alumni Awards Dinner, honoring this year's recipients (for the list of honorees, see http://www.eiu.edu/alumni/awards2012.php). $25 per person, a portion of which will support the Legacy Scholarship Fund. For tickets, call 581-6616 by Tuesday, Oct. 9. Grand Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union.
- 10 p.m.: Homecoming Late Night Dance. Sponsored by the Black Student Union and National Pan-Hellenic Council student organizations. $8 for BSU members, $10 for general admission. McAfee Gym.