Parking, Traffic Restrictions Announced for Homecoming ParadeOct-05-2012
Parking and traffic flow will be restricted in some streets and parking lots for part of the day Saturday, Oct. 13, to make room for the Eastern Illinois University Homecoming Parade.
The streets closed to traffic are as follows:
- 6 a.m.-noon: Ninth Street, from Lincoln to Roosevelt avenues;
- During parade: Grant Avenue, between First and Orchard streets; and
- 3 a.m.-noon: Johnson Avenue, between Seventh and Ninth streets.
The areas closed to parking from 3 a.m. to noon are as follows:
- Grant Avenue, between First and Orchard streets;
- Seventh Street, from the Doudna Fine Arts Center to Monroe Avenue;
- Monroe and Jackson avenues, between Sixth and Seventh streets;
- Sixth Street, from Monroe to Polk avenues;
- Polk Avenue, from Sixth to Division streets;
- Division Street, from Polk to Grant avenues;
- MLK Jr. Union parking lot;
- Seventh Street parking spaces on campus;
- Student Services Building parking lot;
- Blair Hall parking lot;
- X Parking Lot, north and south; and
- Burl Ives Art Studio parking lot.
In addition, Grant Avenue between Seventh and Ninth streets will have controlled traffic and no parking from 3 a.m. until the end of the parade.
Those who live in Park Place Apartments and in the parade staging area on Ninth Street may park their vehicles in the Doudna Fine Arts Center parking lot from 5 p.m. Friday until the parade is over.
Vehicles parked in violation of these parking restrictions will be towed at the owners' expense.
The parade is to begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, at the intersection of Seventh Street and Lincoln Avenue. The route is as follows: north on Seventh Street, west on Monroe Avenue, south on Sixth Street, west on Polk Avenue, south on Division Street, and east on Grant Avenue (aka Panther Way), ending at the tailgate area at O'Brien Stadium.
The university appreciates the cooperation of the EIU and Charleston community in helping make the parade a positive experience for all.
For more information on EIU Homecoming, including a map of the parade route, please see http://www.eiu.edu/homecoming.