School Spirit is Turning the Town Blue in Time for EIU HomecomingOct-11-2013
EIU's Facilities Planning and Management Unit shows school spirit.
School spirit is on the rise at Eastern Illinois University – just in time for EIU Homecoming 2013!
“Paint the Town Blue: Homecoming 2013” activities will take place beginning Monday, Oct. 14, culminating with the traditional parade, football game and other popular events on Saturday, Oct. 19.
This year’s Homecoming committee has planned numerous thematic events and activities designed to showcase EIU Panther Pride throughout campus and the city of Charleston. Several Charleston-area businesses and local residents plan to feature window displays, lawn signs and marquees displaying their EIU pride and spirit throughout the week.
Community residents are welcome to attend many Homecoming events, both on and off campus. The most popular of those will occur on Saturday.
Early risers can prepare for a full day of activity with a warm meal, courtesy of the Charleston Rotary Club. Serving for the 14th annual all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast will take place from 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. in the parking lot of Dirty’s Bar & Grill, located at the southeast corner of Seventh Street and Lincoln Avenue. The price is $6 for adults and $3 for children, with all proceeds from the event going to various local charities.
With their appetites taken care of, diners can either burn off those calories or simply support those who are by attending the 14th annual EIU/Charleston Homecoming 2.5k (1.5-mile) Race/Walk at 9 a.m. Participants will begin at the corner of Seventh Street and Lincoln Avenue, make their way north on Seventh Street to the Charleston Square, then return to EIU’s Old Main via Sixth Street.
An entry fee of $10 will be collected from each participant, while awards are designated for the top male and female finisher in each of three categories: run, walk and wheelchair. (See here for registration information.)
The EIU Homecoming Parade is an annual tradition consisting of more than 100 campus/community entries – floats, bands and decorated cars, to name just a few. Participants will line up near on the east side of Old Main and, beginning at 9:30 a.m., march northward up Seventh Street to Monroe Avenue, west on Monroe to Sixth Street, then head south to Polk Avenue where they will again turn west. Upon reaching Division Street, they will turn south, cross Lincoln Avenue and head for Grant Avenue (a.k.a. Panther Way), winding up at the tailgate area at O’Brien Stadium.
The annual Homecoming football game, in which the EIU Panthers will host Southeast Missouri State, begins at 1:30 p.m. Tickets may be purchased the day of the game at O’Brien Stadium, or in advance online, in person at the EIU Ticket Office (Lantz 2530; open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday), or by calling 217-581-2106.
Football fans are invited to arrive early (10:30 a.m. or after) to show their Panther Pride at this year’s Billy’s Backyard Tailgate event, featuring food, inflatable games and live entertainment.
The public is also invited to attend many other Homecoming activities:
|Members of the Charleston Fire Department show that they, too, have turned EIU Blue. Shown, from left to right, front row, are James Calvert, Kirby Barr, Grant Hale, Colton Crowe, Mike Green, EIU President Bill Perry, Tim Meister, Jason Armstrong, D.J. Bailey and Steve Bennett. Standing on the truck’s bumper are Dan Nadler, EIU vice president for student affairs, and Bob Martin, EIU vice president for university advancement.|
**Monday, Oct. 14 -- Royal Blue Homecoming Coronation, 7 p.m., McAfee Gymnasium.
· **Tuesday, Oct. 15 – “Blue Bash!” Family Fun Night, 5 to 7 p.m., Grand and University ballrooms, MLK Jr. Union. Featuring Bingo, refreshments, inflatable games, craft stations and prizes for all ages.
· **Wednesday, Oct. 16 – “Color Me Blue!” Spirit Party, 5 p.m., South Quad. A celebration designed to get the EIU/Charleston communities excited for the weekend’s festivities. Colored powder throws, refreshments, music and more.
· **Thursday, Oct. 17 – BLUE-B-Que Luncheon for EIU faculty and staff, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., McAfee Gym. Food, prizes, giveaways and more. “BLUEfest,” 4 to 6 p.m., South Quad. Games, giveaways, prizes and fun for all ages.
· **Friday, Oct. 18 – Homecoming Pep Rally/Yell Like Hell and Who Wants to Be a Mascot? Contests, 7 to 9 p.m., McAfee. High-energy and synchronized dance/chant routines. Special appearances by the EIU Pep Band, Pink Panthers, Cheer Team, Head Football Coach Dino Babers and members of the EIU Football Panthers.
· **Sunday, Oct. 20 – “Trash Bash,” 1 to 3 p.m. Finally, after painting the town blue, it’s time to clean up the town. Volunteers should meet at Old Main.
For information on EIU’s 2013 Homecoming Week events, see here.