FACULTY SENATE MINUTES FOR
February 13, 2001
(Vol. XXX, No. 21)

The 2000-2001 Faculty Senate minutes and other data are available on the Web at http://www.eiu.edu/~FacSen. The Faculty Senate agenda is posted weekly on the Web, at 2540 Buzzard, and at 2107 Buzzard Hall.

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:08 p.m. (Conference Room, 2540 Buzzard Hall). Present: W. Addison, R. Benedict, J. Best, M. Boshart (S), D. Brandt, G. Canivez, J. Dilworth, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, B. Fischer, F. Fraker, N. Greer, J. Tidwell, and M. Toosi. Excused: B. Young and A. Zahlan Guests: J. Ryan, J. Emmett, J. Catto, A. Weyhaupt, J. Bishop, K. Rutter, L. Wall, J. Emmett

II. Approval of the minutes of February 6, 2001. Motion (Fewell/Canivez) to approve the minutes of February 6, 2001. Correction: p.5: V.D. Parking on Fourth Street: Change to: "Canivez mentioned the issue of Heritage Woods Homeowner’s Association and the subsidized housing project on Route 130. He said the Mayor gave assurances that everyone had been consulted on the matter and approved of it when this was not the case." Yes: Benedict, Brandt, Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Greer, and Tidwell. Abstain: Toosi Passed.

III. New Business. Tidwell changed the Order of Business to New Business to accommodate a number of guests to the Senate.

A. Honorary Degree Committee--Professor Jake Emmett, Chair. Emmett named the members of the committee who work in cooperation with Jill Nilsen, VP External Affairs. The committee received only two nominations last fall. Emmett wanted to solicit more nominations from the Senate. The committee will not be giving an award for spring commencement because of the low numbers submitted. They will award a degree in the fall term. Emmett distributed a nominations form. Eligible individuals are people who have attained major distinction in the state or the national level, and/or people who have made an outstanding contribution to EIU, but who do not have state/national distinction. Awarding an honorary degree is a good opportunity to recognize people, and it also looks good for the University. A relationship with EIU is not required for the nomination. Eberly, a former Chair of the Honorary Degree Committee, indicated he had nominated a nationally recognized individual on three occasions without that person being recognized. He questioned whether ability to make a monetary gift to the university was a "hidden agenda" in recent years. Emmett said that it was not. Emmett encouraged Eberly to resubmit the nomination. Toosi said that the committee did not reject the person in question, but that in the particular selection period another person was deemed more deserving of the award.

B. Faculty teaching evaluation proposal from Student Senate Academic Affairs Committee--Jessica Catto, Chair. Student Senator Jessica Catto, Kristin Rutter, Student Senate Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Adam Weyhaupt, Speaker of Student Senate, presented the Senate with a copy of Student Senate Resolution 00-01-21 for their consideration. Catto: The overall effectiveness of the teacher is not rated on the standard faculty (Purdue) evaluation form. They requested that a sixth core question be added to "Rate the overall effectiveness of this instructor on a scale of one (1) through (5)". Tidwell: The item needs to be cast in the same light as other items in the list of core items. Dilworth: The language needs to not be "1 to 5". Toosi: I am concerned about the weight on the overall effectiveness of the instructor. The present items rate aspects of the overall effectiveness. The bottom line does not match with the instructor's individual ratings. Weyhaupt: What we are hearing from students is that they cannot indicate whether their instructor is an effective instructor. Greer: Some departments already have a general question. Speech Communications has such a question. If there is a model already out there, why not just use the model? Catto explained how the Student Senate arrived at the wording of their present item and expressed a willingness to accept alternative wording for the item, suggesting that perhaps a statement indicating that teaching was "highly effective" might be used. Canivez: The question as suggested is not specific enough to assist the faculty person to improve their teaching. It does not refer to anything specific to instruction that can be remediated. Best: This is a consumer-oriented item; such as "Did you like that movie?" This is not about teaching improvement; this is for the consumers themselves. Catto: It is for overall effectiveness. Tidwell: "Highly effective" is an official evaluation in the contract, and "highly effective" is not what a faculty member wants to get. They want to be "superior." Best: I doubt the students have read the contract. Unfortunately for them, they picked words that should not be used in this context. Benedict: I want to commend Catto for her work. You did your homework. Tidwell: Who decided on those five core questions? Weyhaupt: That is one of the reasons why we are here. Catto: I talked with David Radavich, and he said it was not a union issue. Addison: I support the idea of encouraging departments to have a global item in their evaluations. In psychology, the item is " I would recommend this instructor to a friend." If you would, make a more general recommendation like: "Departments should consider a global evaluation item on their rating forms." Weyhaupt: We do not want to take items away from the department, and we would like all the students to have the option of rating their faculty in a similar way. Canivez: Were you looking for an item that would be uniform across all areas? Catto: Yes. Canivez: So, in a sense, this becomes the sixth standard item for overall evaluations. It is a good idea. Tidwell: The item needs to be parallel with everything else, within the same format, SA - SD. Fraker: Is there a general sense that this item is not asked? Fraker speculated about possible interpretations of a high or low median response to the item. Dilworth: I would have a problem with the resolution not in wording, but in concept. I don't think it is the student's priority to tell faculty how they should be evaluated. As far as overall evaluation, I am curious about the percentage of departments that do not have such a question. Canivez: I am getting a sense that the ability of the students to rate their overall satisfaction with the instructor is what you are seeking. Benedict: I see no problem with this item whatsoever. We are evaluated on many items. If this item supports the students as consumers, I agree with it. Perhaps the Faculty Senate Student/Faculty Relations Committee should work with the students to create an item. Tidwell: Would anybody be opposed to that? Toosi: I do recommend from here that the Student Senate send a note to the Departmental Personnel Committees of each department, because they are directly responsible for preparing the evaluation forms for each department. I am concerned that if you put in something general, and it is too close to contract language, some people would be very strongly affected. Fewell: I think the five core questions came from the university-wide faculty study of several years ago [The Study of Undergraduate Education (SUE) Report]. Best: I am pretty sure it has been the same five items since 1979. It probably came from contract ground one, and that was 1977. Weyhaupt: If we could sit down with your Faculty/Student Relations Committee, that would be fine. Tidwell: Let's do that. Addison: I don't see any problem with using the word "effective" in there. That is used in many of the Purdue items. In general, we are looking at means of medians across all classes, and the word ‘effective' in that sense doesn't mean much.

C. Resolution honoring Dr. Mack Hollowell. Tidwell requested a motion (Dilworth/Fewell) to approve a resolution honoring Dr. Mack Hollowell:

A Resolution Honoring the Life and Contributions of Dr. Mack Hollowell
February 13, 2001

Whereas Dr. Mack Hollowell was a long-time supporter of Eastern Illinois University, and a long-time leader in the community, particularly in the fields of medicine and health care,

Whereas he served Eastern Illinois University with distinction as a member of the Board of Governors and then as first chair of the university’s Board of Trustees,

Whereas he demonstrated a strong dedication to continuing Eastern Illinois University’s traditions of academic excellence,

Whereas he demonstrated unfailing commitment to the well-being of the administration, faculty, staff, and students of Eastern Illinois University,

Whereas he gave generously of this time and effort to preserve and promote the reputation of Eastern Illinois University in the region, state, and nation,

Be it resolved that the Eastern Illinois University Faculty Senate hereby honors Dr. Mack Hollowell for his many contributions to the university and the larger community, and deeply mourns his passing.

Yes: Best, Brandt, Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Greer, Tidwell, Toosi, Addison, and Benedict. Passed.

D. Distinguished Faculty Award, Tidwell: Addison volunteered to serve on the committee. Tidwell suggested that Addison convene the committee. Two more members of Senate are needed to serve on the committee. Dilworth and Canivez volunteered to serve. A motion was made (Fischer//Fewell) to appoint Addison as Chair, and Dilworth and Canivez as members of the 2001 Distinguished Faculty Award Committee. Yes: Brandt, Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Tidwell, Toosi, Benedict, and Best. Abstain: Addison and Greer. Passed.

IV. Communications: Tidwell returned to the normal Order of Business:

A. E-mail from Sally Bock concerning publication of Senate minutes, Jan. 31, 2001

Encouraged Senate to distribute the minutes electronically to the campus. We can discuss in new business.

B. Bylaws of Radio and Television Center Board

Board has reorganized. Two faculty are on the board now rather than one as previously.

C. Minutes of the COEPS Curriculum Committee--Jan. 22, 2001

D. Minutes of the Committee for the Assessment of Student Learning--Feb. 6, 2001

They had a demonstration of software. The Writing Competency Exam/ Portfolio Student Forum is Thursday, Feb. 22, 7 p.m. in Carmen Hall.

E. Minutes of the Intercollegiate Athletic Board--Feb. 1, 2001

F. Old Main Line, Winter 2001 (Alumni Association magazine)

Tidwell called it "quite an impressive communication."

G. Other Communications: none

V. Old Business

A. Committee Reports

1. Executive Committee: Met with Drs. Wall and Nilsen about the 1999 Senate Forum Recommendations. Wall introduced us to an electronic newsletter that Academic Affairs has created on-line. Wall described the nature of the publication to the Senate that will be up continuously, and continuously updated. Fischer: We talked about putting a virtual update on construction projects on campus. Wall: Send items to Mary Herrington-Perry for submission. It is a positive perspective of what the university faculty members are doing. It will be a linked to the campus home. Tidwell went through the list of recommendations and actions taken. Nilsen mentioned a display cabinet in Old Main where each college will have a section. We discussed social space on campus as nice places for displays. Tidwell asked Assistant VPSA Shirley Stewart what had happened to Coffee Express. Stewart said it would re-open under a new name, "Jitters," and include coffee, baked goods, ice cream, and even convenience items. The food court architect will be looking at the space and making suggestions. It will be a much better and improved place. We can look forward to better space in the future. Fischer: We talked about every one of the items on that list. I did not realize that there are 1200 news articles distributed a month from the University Media Relations office. There is lots of PR going out, but we have no control over whether it is printed. Tidwell: There was an $80,000 increase in Research and Grants this year. Best: In some recent research, the biggest single predictor about whether a faculty member publishes is how much do your colleagues publish. Fischer: Can you give us the reference? Best: I will provide it. Eberly requested a formal summary of the points to be released to the faculty. Tidwell: The University has hired the retired Vice President of Student Affairs at Lake Land College, Dr. Larry Larvick, to help us with our community college relations and problems. We have a new director of orientation on campus as of Monday, Kimberly Mauck, from Orange Co. California. Also, Tidwell said he had heard several rumors about canceling Open Houses in the spring. He talked to Dale Wolf, Director of Admissions, and that is not true. EIU Preview day for admitted students will be on March 3, 2001, and an Open House for prospective students will be held on April 21, 2001.

2. Elections: Fischer is working on determining what we need to fill. He is down to two committees that do not usually meet, to determine the replacements needed. Everything should be ready to go by next week. Tidwell: Check for sabbaticals among current university committee members for next year.

3. Nominations: Canivez is composing a list of positions that we will need. He will have that for next week. Tidwell: We should have these out the week before spring break, with elections the week after break.

4. Student-Faculty Relations: no report

5. Faculty-Staff Relations: no report

6. VPAA Search Committee: Best: A script has been used in phoning the references for each candidate, and each team is calling the references now. We should accomplish this next step by February 23, 2001. From that we will determine the people invited to Indianapolis. Addison: What is the number for whom references are being called? Best: There were 46 in the pool, and we looked at 12 whose references we are calling. We plan to get to eight for invitations to Indianapolis. Of course, those are target figures.

7. VPBA Search Committee: Tidwell has not heard from Hank Davis about the committee’s progress.

8. CAA Taskforce--French Fraker. The committee met without Fraker on Friday, and he had their report. The next step is to develop two different lists. One is the elements that course proposals need to have if they are going to get on-line approval, and the other is best practices that such courses should have. There are issues to be worked out, such as how credits are assigned to the classes since it is not determined by class hours. We have deferred looking at web-enhanced courses at this time. No decisions are made yet.

9. Electronic Grade Book Committee--French Fraker: No meeting is scheduled yet, so there is no report.

10. Steering committee for Technology Enhanced and Delivered Education: Tidwell: Grant winners were announced today. The models are being discussed in forums. One is today at 4:00 p.m. Please attend one of them. Tidwell attended a meeting yesterday and it was almost all staff people. Wall: We had 50-60 people, but only three faculty members. We need to arrive at a model that fits faculty. Otherwise it will be slated toward whoever is attending the meetings. Tidwell: All the meetings are this week. Canivez: UPI President Radavich also sent memos reminding faculty of the meetings. Tidwell: The comments heard yesterday were a lot different than those we heard in Senate last week.

11. Search Committee for Director of Greek Life--Norman Greer: The committee met last Wednesday, Feb. 7th. We set a timeline to begin screening applicant files on the19th of this month. On campus interviews are scheduled for April 5-20, and the candidate begins on July 1, 2000. The pool was low, but the job opening does not close until the 19th of February. The committee will meet again on Feb. 18

12. Search Committee for Director of Housing and Dining Services--Charles Eberly. The committee met Feb. 7th, and received its charge. There were six applicants at that time. The job opening does not close until Feb. 26th. We must have applicant files screened by March 7th, when we will identify individuals for reference checking. On-campus interviews for three or four people will begin after spring break, probably in mid-April. The job is to begin on July 1, 2001.

B. Administrative models from the TEDE Steering Committee: Tidwell: Are there more comments about the models? Canivez: It might be a good idea if we came to a consensus as a body about a recommendation. Tidwell: It could be a combination of items from the three models. I am in an awkward position here, since I served on the committee that developed the models. Could Canivez and Fewell come up with a recommendation and bring it back to the Senate next week? Canivez and Fewell agreed to do so. Best: This is a chance to have input into policy, and we should not pass it by. Tidwell: What is the timing on the search committee for the director? Is doing the search in the summertime an issue? Fewell: We are going to have input into the model until March 12, when will the decision be made? Wall: Very soon after. Fewell: I am a believer that form follows function, and the director should know the model they will be working with. The director’s job responsibilities will depend upon the model selected. Tidwell: We will put out the advertisement in April and have interviews in May-June, or wait until the fall. Fewell: If we wait until the fall, we really won't have a person in place until the next July (2002). Wall: The faculty need the assistance, and they cannot wait. We have to keep moving. Fewell: If we can bring people in during the first four weeks of summer session, the most faculty members would be here to participate in the selection. Fewell: Wall is right, we are behind already. Dilworth: If the interviews are not until June 11, you won't have someone on board by July 1. Tidwell: It would be nice to have someone on board when school starts. Dilworth: I totally support to keep the process moving. Fewell: If the time frame is advertised prior to the end of the semester, I think it can be done successfully.


C. Senate sponsorship of an International Tea--April 25, 2001, 2-4 p.m. Tidwell: Please put the date on your calendars, and invite others to attend.

D. Proposed change in BOT regulations regarding tenure for vice presidents: Tidwell: If you do have some suggestions to the draft memo I sent via e-mail, it would be good to get this completed within the next several weeks.

E. Parking on Fourth Street: Benedict spoke with Jill Nilsen. The widening of Fourth Street and elimination of those spaces was approved in the University master plan. Alternative places for parking spaces have been forwarded to the University Parking Advisory Committee. Joe Williams and Cheryl hawker are our representatives on the University Parking Advisory Committee. Canivez: When will the spaces be removed? Benedict: This is not definitive. It is something that the city has elected to do this summer. Mayor Cougill did address the issues at the Student Senate External Relations Committee Meeting last Wednesday, and said he was in contact with the University. There is definitely a communication gap there, but where it happens, I am not certain. Best: I am just not going to let go of it. He read an item from the DEN (Feb. 8, 2001). There is not a schedule concerning the construction. While the master plan has been approved, it is a goal, not a schedule. That does not say anything about summer, 2001. What is happening is not a part of the master plan; it is about parking. Just before I came to Senate, I learned we are going to lose those places this summer. I am going to argue that it doesn't say that. The city's argument was about safety, not about the master plan. Benedict: That is the plan, and the alternative parking spaces were also included. VP Nilsen will speak to this issue. Best also reaffirmed with Jill that she would talk about this with the Senate. If it is about money rather than the master plan, I just want to have that come out in the open.

F. Other old business: Tidwell distributed a memo from Bill Witsman dealing with technology questions. He mentioned several facts from the memo. It costs $147,000 for the Microsoft Office license. Canivez: The understaffing in [Witsmans’] department [ITS] has just brought many things to a halt. Tidwell: Witsman included an article indicating that wireless systems have greater security problems. The last page of the memo showed that academic affairs had 68% of the total number of helpdesk problems in the last year. Benedict: What is the lag time now in repairing machines? We are going to have the same problems this next year unless things are remedied. Tidwell: There are only 5 people in ITS to take care of more than 3,000 computers. Toosi: The job description for that person should be that person satisfies the need of all individuals within their college. Their responsibility is not general, but it gets lost. Addison: There are degrees of decentralization, even though the College Of Sciences has its own technical person, what he can do is limited. He does not have administrative privilege when it comes to the server. That has to go through ITS, and when it is down there are some immediate, negative consequences. Tidwell: I appreciate that Bill Witsman got that memo to me.

E. Other New business: none

VI. Adjourn: Fraker, 3:47 p.m.

Future Agenda Items

A. Radio/TV Center--Jill Nilsen and Jim Jones will speak to Senate Feb. 27, 2001

B. EIU Foundation--to be scheduled

C. Reorganization of Continuing Education: Will Hine

Respectfully submitted,

Charles G. Eberly, Recorder