FACULTY SENATE MINUTES FOR
January 30, 2001 (Vol. XXX, No. 19)

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:07 p.m. (Conference Room, 2540 Buzzard Hall)Present: W. Addison, R. Benedict, J. Best, D. Brandt, G. Canivez, J. Dilworth, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, B. Fischer, F. Fraker, N. Greer, G. Kelly (S), J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, B. Young, and A. Zahlan. Excused: Guests: J. Ryan, B. Weber II. Approval of the minutes of January 23, 2001. Motion (Fewell/Greer) to approve the minutes of January 23, 2001.Yes: Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Greer, Tidwell, Toosi, Young, Zahlan, Addison, Benedict, Best, and Brandt. Passed

III. Communications

  1. Letter from Chair Tidwell to President Surles concerning the Fall Forum Final Report-
  2. January 24, 2001
  3. E-mail from David Radavich concerning Fall Forum Final Report-January 25, 2001.
  4. E-mail from Acting VPBA Cooley concerning breakdown of in-state and out-of-state tuition-January 29, 2001. Tidwell distributed copies of in-state and out-of-state revenue to Senators. About 1.6 million is derived from out-of-state tuition. D. Minutes of Academic Technology Advisory Committee-Dec. 8, 2000
  5. E. Agenda for Academic Technology Advisory Committee meeting-February 2, 2001.Will hear a report from the Fees Subcommittee about funding student computer labs

IV. Old Business

A. Committee Reports

1. Executive Committee: Tidwell: Provost Wall asked Bill Weber to attend Senate in her absence. Tidwell told Wall that Senate had a discussion about the proposed board regulations about tenure. The President will have a response within the next several weeks.Tidwell requested Weber to discuss the proportion of the budget assigned to academic affairs over the past four hears. The Academic Affairs share of the total EIU Budget is very constant. In the FY98 to FY99, one sees a decline because we moved Radio/TV out of AA to the External Relations area. There was a similar decline in the President’s budget when the development budget was moved to the External Relations area (same year). The shares of the budget among the Vice Presidents remain fairly constant. In absolute dollars, the Academic Affairs budget has grown each of the four years we reviewed it. Tidwell will get the data from Weber for distribution to Senate next week.Best: Has that been equivalent to growth in the other VP areas. Weber: Yes, I think so. There seems to be no real difference. Zahlan: Is Academic Affairs satisfied with their budget? Weber: I don't think anyone is ever satisfied with their budget

.2. Elections: Tidwell: It is time to start thinking about elections. Elections will be held after spring break in March

.3. Nominations: Tidwell: The Financial Aid Review Committee needed to meet this week, and they needed a replacement. Tidwell asked Dean Hitch to find someone temporarily to fill the position, and she did so. The faculty person who left was in her last year of the term.

4. Student-Faculty Relations: Benedict welcomed Gary Kelly, Student Government Representative, who will finish the semester

.5. Faculty-Staff Relations: No report

.6. VPAA Search Committee: Best: A meeting is scheduled for this Friday, Feb. 2. The official number of applications is 46. We will make a cut to 12 or so this Friday, then contact references, and reduce to eight or so to interview in Indianapolis the end of February. We will select five who will come to campus. Then after campus interviews after spring break, the strengths and limitations of three people will be sent forward to the President. Friday is the first meeting of this semester. Zahlan: Will the proposed change in the conditions of employment change your deliberations? Best: I don't think so. Addison: Why just the strengths and limitations of three rather than five? Best: That was the charge to the committee. Tidwell: In some ways that gives the committee more influence. Addison: When you say we will interview five, is that number carved in stone? Best: I don't think so, but that is a fixed target.

7. VPBA Search Committee: The committee is meeting some time this week

.8. Steering Committee for Technology Enhanced and Delivered Education. Tidwell: The committee continues to meet. Subcommittees are meeting on the grant applications right now. Those are supposed to be completed next Tuesday to finalize everything. Announcements will be in the next several weeks. Tomorrow the University will be given the three administrative models. Everyone will get an e-mail from Dean Augustine with attachments including the models. Please read those and bring them to Senate next week. Augustine and several others will be holding public hearings over the next several weeks. This is really very important business that will affect the future of the University. Zahlan: Who makes the decision as to which model? Tidwell: There will be evaluation sheets completed at the public hearings, and the committee will make a recommendation to the Provost. Then there will be a search committee formed for the person who will head up the unit. Fraker: How detailed are the models? Have you gone into what the staffing would be? Tidwell: Yes, we have considered staffing in great detail. Zahlan: Were there budgetary constraints imposed upon you, or were you able to dream freely? Tidwell: The $500,000 is there for this year, and it will be about $360,000 next year. E-mails will be released tomorrow.Zahlan: This ATEC Report was released in December. Were there grants in it? Tidwell: Yes. I can redistribute that to the Senate

.9. CAA Taskforce-French Fraker: We had our first meeting. There was a consensus that if courses are to be on-line, we ought to be the standard setters. Now we need to determine the criteria, and that is the agenda for the next meeting. Tidwell: We have discussed this a little bit. What do we agree upon? If courses are already approved, then do they need additional approval if they go on-line? Fraker: Yes, there should be certain expectations if a course is put on-line. Best: That is pretty much in spirit with what we said. If a course is to be put on-line, then it should be consistent with faculty expectations. Addison: What are some of the qualitative issues that have to be dealt with when a course is placed on-line? Fraker: Yes, what standards should a course meet when it is on-line? As we get a better idea, we will have more for discussion. Tidwell: Do you have a timetable? Fraker: No, the idea was to get something out of the way yet this semester. Zahlan: Do you anticipate that you would deal with what constitutes a class, i.e. class size? Fraker: Yes, that will come up for discussion. That, and back up procedures if a system crashes, training for students, etc. Before a student can sign up, they need to meet certain criteria. There is a range of details to consider. Tidwell: The UPI and Administration task force is dealing with the workload issues. Zahlan: There is a curricular side to those issues as well as a workload side. Tidwell: I am also on a committee dealing with what other services in the University will be impacted with on-line delivery. They are almost all in Lou Hencken's area of student services. Fraker: There are certain classes that are likely to be inappropriate for on-line delivery, and I am going to lobby that those decisions be made at the departmental level.

10. Electronic Grade Book Committee- French Fraker: We met for the second time. Instead of the system used for academic assessment, they will use another. You will put in SS# and pin #, and you will go to a menu for grade submission. Class rosters will appear, you put in the name and mark, and hit send. Tidwell: That is much more user friendly than FRS. Fraker: The FRS administrator has offered to talk with Senate about its user friendliness. It looks like we will get a system for turning in grades next fall. They hope to make a demonstration of the process to Faculty Senate. It still will be optional to use. The verification of grades will likely involve printing off the screen, signing it, and sending it through campus mail. The concept seems to be do-able.

11. Academic Technology Advisory Committee: Tidwell: There is a concern about the student lab fee to replace student computers, and the fact that most of the $400,000 to replace faculty computers was wiped out because of the deficit. It is important that we get that money back in the budget. We will have a digital divide between the faculty and the student labs if we don't watch it. Student fee money cannot be used to purchase faculty computers.

12. Other Committees: Faculty Forum. Tidwell: I have continuing concern about the clarity of Recommendation No. 9 in the document. I already have talked with some people concerned about that one, arguing that it is a union issue. Canivez: The document is done. Addison: When you evaluate the faculty one of the factors is the technology. Benedict: We are at least trying to separate the issues in No. 9

B. Other Old Business: None

V. New Business:

A. Parking on Fourth Street: Best: I work on fourth street, and the Times-Courier newspaper story said there was a concern about safety. The paper said there was an agreement between the university administration and the city about the parking on Fourth Street. I called Joe Williams, the Senate Representative on the University Parking Advisory Committee, and asked him when he heard about this. Williams said, "When I read the story in the newspaper." Tidwell: Chief Larson called me about the article, too. Has the committee met again yet? Best: Williams had no information about how the decision was made. What it looked like to me was that they were removing the parking places due to safety. Rather, keep the spaces, and increase the safety. This is an idea for how we could be proactive. I looked at the space from the edge of Phipps to Fourth Street, and the parking spaces could be moved into the interior of what is now a dirt space. I have never seen anyone using the space, which is to me rather underutilized. The parking spaces could be moved to the interior of that space, and we could create ingress and egress spaces to the area. We could replant the trees, and we have solved the parking problem. That would help.Tidwell: What does the master plan say? Best: I have not contacted the master plan. Canivez: The timing of this plan is also ill advised in terms of other construction on campus, which will affect other parking spaces. The 50 spaces that are there are utilized constantly. Doing that this summer without consulting the Parking Advisory Committee seems ill advised. Tidwell: What was Williams going to do? Best: It is an issue of budgetary priorities. Tidwell: I will contact Chief Larson and request the Parking Advisory Committee to reconvene. Brandt: The city has control of access to the street, so the city could close it down. It may not be a University decision at all. Tidwell: Yes, that is a state highway. During the master plan development, the state did have a plan to widen Fourth Street, which would wipe out the parking spaces. Fraker: Are there any statistics that verify this is an unsafe area? Fewell: Yes, there have been several accidents. Canivez: is there a potential for accidents? Yes, any time you are backing out of a space. Fischer: I don't have a problem with the spots going and being replaced with green space. We are down to seven spots for seventy of us in my area of the campus. I want there to be less concrete. There is nothing wrong with walking from down the block. The further we get cars away from the central campus the better. Best disagreed with Fischer. We are calling for a specific plan to manage this. We should address safety, rather than removing spaces. Fischer: When we close Seventh Street, they will take out another seventy spaces. Fischer: The plan is to turn it into a pleasant walk able campus, with parking at the outside. Faculty will have to walk, but the students will have to walk further. Tidwell: In the master plan, Lincoln to Ninth, parking is closed. All parking will be outside of that. Zahlan: We definitely should have the parking committee meet, and ask them to prepare a report. Who is in charge of the master plan? Could we have a progress report on that? Tidwell: I will ask about that. Zahlan: Gail Richards was a part of that. We definitely would like to know why and what. Kelly: One thing is that the city in the next year intends to redo all of Fourth Street. They intend to do sidewalks and drainage, etc. Students have petitioned the city to stop traffic on Fourth Street during rush hours at the Faculty Lot. With the type of construction on campus, students have had to cross at that area. Tidwell: Roosevelt and Fourth Street are also getting a little dicey. Addison: The possible stoplight might be a good idea, if most students used the crosswalk at the stop signs. When you drive on Ninth Street, a large proportion of students coming form Carmen Hall do not use the crosswalk. Kelly: There is no stop traffic within a quarter mile on Fourth Street. Tidwell: I was proud of the students that they did that. Addison: The Student Senate guaranteed that the students would use the crosswalks. Of course, that was 4-5 years ago, and there is no collective memory of that now within the Senate. Canivez: It would be nice to have a solution. If the spots are going to be removed, there should be an alternative to deal with the loss of parking before the spots are removed. Tidwell: Trustee Tom Johnson, Chair of the Master Planning Committee, said that whatever parking spaces were taken out by the master plan would be replaced.

B. Senate sponsorship of an International Tea: Zahlan: I recall that Senate sponsored an International Tea last year. Young: We had the show at Tarble Art Center about Old Main last year. We had a good attendance. This year the Historical Administration Program will be doing a show at Lincoln Log Cabin. There is a problem getting people out to Lincoln Log Cabin. Zahlan: It would be hard to get students there and it would be wonderful idea, but that is more elaborate. If we wanted to be on the roster for doing it, Dean Augustine could put us on the roster. Eberly: I think there are plans to use different days of the week for the International Tea, so we could sponsor one on another day of the week.

C. Follow-up on 1999 Fall Forum: Fischer: I want back through these points. A lot of these are a minimal cost yet few have been done. A lot of it falls into student affairs or external relations, who needs to look at these. Several are related to the Graduate school. They have done some, but that is about it. There are a large number of people who have no idea what students are doing or what we are doing. Zahlan: We are talking about who is going to do these things. We do not have an adequate publicity mechanism. Fisher: Maybe it is incumbent upon us to force them to do it. Fischer: The College of Science does it well, and that was Dr. Wall’s initiative. That has helped our cause both in Springfield and on campus. Dilworth: There are display cases in Old Main that could be used for departments to be highlighted. Tidwell: There will also be space in the new library. Tidwell: I'll set up a meeting with Drs. Wall and Nilsen. Young: What about the dissemination of this report? Tidwell: It went out in the Senate minutes. We never did get the results of our survey on the web. That just never worked out. Addison: We might take one or two prominent display cases in Old Main, and departments could display their research on a rotating basis. Tidwell: There is a need for a common area, too. That goes back to the old Faculty Club issue. Monies from selling the President's House were earmarked for a common area, but now that the food court is scheduled for that area of the Union, I do not know what is next. I’ll check on where that money is being held.Fischer: Are we getting Nilsen here to talk about Radio/TV, or is the decision going to be made before she attends. We need her here to tell us the whole story. Fewell: It is not always an outlay, because with the digital TV license, there is a possibility for funding coming back. Other institutions see this as an opportunity rather than a major outlay. Zahlan: That's why we need somebody to talk about it. Tidwell: Yes, the license is very valuable. Jim Jones is the acting director. Zahlan: Maybe he can come; we need somebody to come.

D. Off Campus Courses: Zahlan: One of my students complained to me that the teacher for his Senior Seminar is from Eastern, but he has to go and meet at Lake Land College. Dilworth: He probably signed up through Continuing Education and took an off-campus course. Fewell: It is also financial. When you do a senior seminar, the CUs do not always come back to the department. Dilworth: CUs are different when courses are taught off campus. Qualifications and overload changes off campus. I taught a class at Danville where the majority of students were from Eastern. They wanted to meet one night a week rather than three nights a week. Tidwell: There are only nine senior seminars listed for non-honors students this semester. Weber explained the difference between courses covered by the faculty contract and those that are not covered. There is a clientele of off campus students. Greer: Often when students get their degree audit back for graduation, they take a course at the last minute in order to graduate.

E. Other new business: none

VI. Adjourn: Dilworth, 3:27 p. m.

Future Agenda Items

A. Administrative models from the TEDE Steering Committee

B. Radio/TV Center

C. EIU Foundation

Respectfully submitted,
Charles G. Eberly, Recorder