FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR January 9, 2001
(Vol. XXX, No. 16)

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:05 p.m. (Conference Room, 2540 Buzzard Hall)

Present: W. Addison, R. Benedict, and J. Best, D. Brandt, G. Canivez, J. Dilworth, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, B. Fischer, F. Fraker, N. Greer, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, B. Young, and A. Zahlan. . Guests: J. Ryan, W. Weber, M. Herrington-Perry, J. Cooley, J. Barron, B. Witsman, M. Hanner, K. Cox, S. Flock, and L. Wall.

II. Approval of the minutes of December 5, 2000.

Motion (Canivez/Fischer) to approve the minutes of December 5, 2000.

Yes: Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Greer, Tidwell, Toosi, Young, Zahlan, Addison, Benedict, and Best. Abstain: Brandt. Passed.

III. Communications

A. Minutes of Council on Academic Affairs-Nov. 30, 2000

B. Minutes of Staff Senate--Nov. 8, 2000, Dec. 12, 2000.

C. Minutes of the Intercollegiate Athletic Board--Dec. 7, 2000

The NCAA Re-certification Visit will be next mont

D. Minutes of the COEPS Curriculum Committee--Dec. 11, 2000

E. Email from Dean Frank Hohengarten concerning appointment of an academic calendar committee (to be discussed in New Business)

F. Letter and attachment from President Carol Surles concerning a Nov. 17, 2000 article in the Chronicle of Higher Efducation--Dec. 15, 2000

The article was critical of state universities such as EIU. She requested the Senate to read and discuss the article. Surles said: "I do not accept the notion that the state college has been considered the undistinguished middle child of public higher education. Perhaps we need to educate the public better about the invaluable mission of state colleges. Each of us can and should take up this charge in some way." [Chronicle subscribers can read this article on the Web at this address: http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i12/12a04001.htm]

G. Benedict: Barbara Walvoord will be on campus next Friday, January 19, with presentations at 9 a.m., noon, and 1:30 to 4 p.m., speaking on "Using Class Assignments for Grading and for Departmental and General-Education Assessment."

H. Canivez: Sid Dudley would like reappointed to the Student Publications Board.

I. Tidwell received unsigned communication, but announced it will not be included inthe record. The Senate does not publish unsigned communications.

J. Rep. Righter visit: Best thought Righter said he did not have certain useful information to assist EIU. Benedict said VP Nilsen will supply him with the needed information. Benedict asked to keep Representative Righter's visit on the agenda. Tidwell: Keith Sanders, IBHE Chair, said he also would be happy to speak with the Senate this semester

IV: New Business:

A. University Budget: Chair Tidwell changed the order of business for Senate guests VP Wall, VP Cooley, and Dr. Weber. Tidwell and Fischer had a meeting with Wall and Weber on Monday to discuss the budget situation. Wall asked to visit with the Senate at that time.

Wall: Thank you for the time right at the beginning of the meeting. In preface to my comments, the IBHE made an extremely good recommendation for Eastern's budget. It is the best we have had in a long time, and the best in the state. We want them to know that we appreciate it. Many of the initiatives we requested were funded, but we have a lot of un-funded needs, obligations, and required matches that we must provide. The 7.2% overall increase is not the whole story.

In the FY01 budget, there is some carry over from this year to next year's problem. On the blue sheet I distributed, it shows that we have made some progress on faculty salaries. Assistant professors are now at 97.5 percent of mean compared to the salaries at Chicago State, EIU, Illinois State, SIU-Edwardsville, and Western Illinois. Associate Professors are slightly above the mean, and Full Professors are at 98.4 % compared to these "sister" institutions. To get to that level, Academic Affairs contributed some additional funds to the salary pool during the recent negotiations. Also, from negotiations last year, the annualization came due this year. We needed $474,150 to annualize last year's salary agreement. We did two things: we borrowed from the income fund, $200,000, and in addition, went to the colleges and library, and reallocated on the basis of the number of Unit A and B individuals, and took a proportion from each college and library: $274,150. While the money does come from the colleges and the library out of their personal services budget, it goes right back into personal services in the form of higher salaries.

On the green sheet, the general income fund recommendation from the IBHE is a 7.2% increase. Each institution functions with a budget that has two parts: general funds (appropriated dollars) and income funds (tuition). One year prior, we must project the enrollment to estimate the income fund. That estimate is based on no more than a 1.5% decline in enrollment. These two sources provide for a 5.9% budget increase with which we can operate. Tidwell: How much has the recent per credit hour tuition change had on tuition revenues? Cooley: About one million a year. Wall: The total FY02 increase the IBHE has recommended is $4,493,200. The IBHE also recommended a 3+2+1 salary increase. The 3% increase is for faculty and staff salaries. The next item is a 2% "salary increase to recruit and retain critical faculty and staff." EIU must match this with a one percent contribution. The rest of the initiatives are fairly explanatory. On the Technology Enhanced and Delivered Education initiative, many requests not recommended for funding were placed there that are relative to teaching and learning and the network. See the Subtotal: $4,493,200. In addition, the IBHE has recommended some incentive funding that if received EIU is required to come up with a match for these dollars. Add in the supplemental funding recommendations for grants and incentives, and we have $5,262,600.

Zahlan: Does academic base support include funds for faculty salaries? Wall: No, the request was for equipment, operating budget, sick leave, etc. This is not a line used for salary. It is not typically a salary category. We may reallocate it to try to meet another need, but it is not typically used that way. Cooley: We made an aggressive (6%) request for MONEY this year.

Wall: On page two of the green sheet are unmet FY02 needs totaling $2,935,569. Among these: a1% "match to recruit and retain critical faculty and staff" of $569,000. A 25% deferred maintenance match ($39,175) and "incentive funding matches" ($93,750). The "annualization of FY00 and FY01 UPI salary agreements" is $900.000. The "eliminate network deficit" ($800,000) has been funded on the basis of long-distance telephone revenues. That revenue no longer sustains the network. Finally, there is a 3% inflation increase ($182,844).

Tidwell: Will we get out of the phone line business because of this? Cooley: Our current contract is up in about 18 months. We'll look at other options for telephone and other communications in the residence halls. One other option is to become our own phone company. We are waiting for the technology to sort itself out. We may talk to MCI, Sprint, Consolidated, and other long distance carriers and also look at wireless technology.

Best: What about increased heating costs? Cooley: Our natural gas budget is based on $4.00 for one million BTUs. Currently, rates are over $10 for one million BTUs. Our saving is by burning coal. We all realize about $4,600/day in cost avoidance by burning coal and we have about two more years on that contract. We burn high sulfur Illinois coal, and with the scrubber we are able to buy coal and avoid paying higher natural gas prices. I don't anticipate that our budget will be overextended. The cold days we have been having is going to stretch us.

Wall: Go back to the $2,935,569. Even if took out everything and listed only annualization costs and salary match requirements, we have over a $1,100,000 concern. This budget is only a recommendation from the IBHE, and it still has to be approved by the Governor. Then it has to go to the General Assembly. They will have three options, increase, keep it the same, or decrease. Because of projections, I want to let you know about these concerns, and I expect to come back to the units if it is needed. Units will be describing scenarios of reallocation and what the impact will be on each unit, and if you have to come up with half of the amount, what will be the impact? We will do this university wide.

Toosi: What about the cable problems on the campus and bringing them into the residence halls? I recommend that you consider going wireless, and think carefully about investing more in cables. I would also like to see the detailed numbers on the 3% that we are trying to retain that is costing us 3% on retaining critical faculty. Weber: We are all critical. Toosi: We these terms based on the UPI? Weber: Yes. The 3+2+1 plan is formed to raise faculty salaries statewide. Certainly those monies impact salary negotiations.

Cooley: Back to networking: we started the residence halls project about seven years ago. We flipped a switch on that January 1, 2001. We are wired right now, even as we speak, with fiber-optic cable. We will be looking at wireless as we bring new buildings on campus such as the fine arts center.

Zahlan: I understood there was a special allocation of $800,000 to specifically cover the cost of annualization. Wall: No, the annualization costs could have come from the new salary dollars pool, but that came to the bargaining table and was rejected. So we have to come up with it now as an institution. There was no special money for annualization. The shortfall may mean that some unfilled positions may be left open for a year or so until we can overcome this deficit. We need to look for efficiencies, also

Best: The bottom line is so flexible. This could be people who don't come here, or are here and do not return. Applications for admission are up this year, so that is good news. Cooley: If enrollment increases, that gives us some available funds to use on these obligations.

Fraker: What are our options for coming up with other money/? Since most is decentralized to the colleges, are there external sources where we can find this? Cooley: We have asked IBHE for those dollars, and we did receive them one year. In others, no. Hopefully, we'll have some enrollment increase and that will help.

Tidwell: UIUC increased tuition dramatically, but we have just raised it gradually. Is it too low? Cooley: IBHE has historically had a 3% guideline, and if you raise more, they would cut general revenues by a corresponding amount. UIUC may have trouble in the legislature because of this, but they have opened the door for us. Then, how high can we go until we are no longer competitive.

Zahlan: What is thinking of IBHE to require that year after year? What are they really thinking? Cooley: If salaries are important, you need to look internally to reallocate. They are trying to partner with the universities. What can you reallocate internally to address some of these issues? Wall: We need to put a big emphasis on trying to present a united front and working together. We want to make sure they pass this recommendation without cuts.

Benedict: What is the deferred maintenance right now? Cooley: We have about 1.5 million dollars annually. That does not scratch the surface. We had two major power failures over break, and about a 30 million dollar infrastructure problem with utilities on this campus. If we blow a cable we sit in the dark, and we are now so dependent on computers that we are essentially stopped.

Toosi: What about eliminating out-of-state tuition to attract more from out of state with distance learning technology? Wall: We are looking at it. Cooley: The state legislature requires out of state residents to pay out of state tuition. Western does have an agreement in the Quad City area that was legislated.

Fewell: Let’s talk more about the communications deficit. Cooley: We are really talking about connectivity. As we provide more distance education, we are going to provide more support, up to 16 and 24 hours a day. When Buzzard went out, we lost several buildings. We are going to need to put uninterruptible power sources in each of those buildings.

Tidwell: How are we doing on this year's budget? I know there was a general deficit. Cooley: As of December 31, 2000, we are projecting an excess of $50,000. Wall: We are shifting EIU Radio/TV from analog to digital, and that will cost 1.5 million over the next three years. We also do not have a VP for Institutional Advancement. We have a line in the budget, but no money in the line.

Tidwell: The reallocations from the colleges were pretty well covered by college reserves. Wall: Academic Affairs is managing the AL/SL/ER. We are going to take that on, and we have stopped the recapture policy. That helps the colleges.

Young: Comments about the VP for Institutional Advancement does reflect back on Fraker's earlier question. Some institutions have had considerable success. Where are we now on going back to that search? Wall: Until we can find the funds to be able to pay that person and the staff, it is a catch 22. Jill Nilsen’s office has handled that right now.

Cooley: It is one more of those priorities that are not on this list. Tidwell: Nilsen is on the Senate agenda to talk about the radio/TV center in the next several weeks.

Canivez: Considering problems with regard to infrastructure, is there any possibility of funding from the state as a one-time grant? Given that some of the basic things are unmet, and we have been starved historically, can we get local legislators to support a one-time grant? Best: The Legislature is the ultimate budget planner. They have a finite pool of money, and shifts are very unlikely.

Tidwell: What about insurance? Cooley: We do look for the causes and file claims. But if it is catastrophic, how do we operate in the interim? Zahlan: The Governor has declared the whole state a Federal Disaster Area, can we get funds from this?

Fewell: We have a proposal for $31 million to the IBHE to upgrade our utility infrastructure. We have a lot of old buildings and lot of stuff that is underground. We take that for granted and we should not do so.

Benedict: What about summer camps in the summer? Where is that money going? Cooley: The camps are self-supporting. We cannot subsidize one activity with another. Eberly: The summer camps are important to provide 12-month employment to building services workers and residence hall staff. If we had to lay them off for several months each year, we would pay more in unemployment insurance and other costs then we pay in full operation. Summer camps are a money-saving operation rather than a moneymaking operation.

Tidwell: How is the President doing? Wall: We talked this morning.. She seems to be recuperating well. She return in March.

Wall: If you see anything that you think we have missed, please let us know. We need to keep a united front on this. We will have to find some efficiencies. Best: Do we still have this thing where we have to spend down at the end of the year? Cooley: Yes, with appropriated funds. Best: There are other states that do not have to do this. Is it costing us money? Cooley: We do have some flexibility in an equipment replacement reserve, which we are allowed to retain locally. We have done that the past two years. It amounts to about $500,000. It does not allow us to save a great deal, but it does provide us with some flexibility. If we start setting aside large portions of money, the legislature will question it.

Fewell: I want to publicly thank Wall and Cooley because they came down and looked around when the power went out over break. Not everyone has done that in the past, and it made a great deal of difference to the staff. The power in Buzzard was off from Saturday to Thursday afternoon. With UPCs in computers labs, the power was off so long that they wore down. I want you to know that your concern made a big difference to the Civil Service staff that had to be here.

Tidwell: Thank you very much for your time. Cooley left to attend other duties.

B. Ad Hoc Calendar Committee: Tidwell: Dean Hohengarten has requested an ad hoc committee to consider changes in the university calendar during spring term. He has requested that the Senate send one person. What is your pleasure? Best: Let’s discuss the issue. Tidwell: The Thanksgiving Week break may be the most controversial issue with the calendar. Zahlan: When we didn't have the whole week, a lot of students took the week. Addison: Now they take a week and a half. Toosi: I would like to serve on that ad hoc committee. I would like to support a one week Thanksgiving. It provides relief from pressure. Addison: I will also volunteer. I support changing the calendar. Five or six years ago, I presented data from my courses that students were not performing as well after a week's vacation. Thanksgiving break interrupts a particular unit, and affects academic performance and learning. Benedict: I would like some more input. I don't understand why we are starting finals earlier. April 30 is the first final. Tidwell: The spring calendar is based upon the State Track meets. Maybe someone from that committee can come in and explain the reasoning.

Zahlan: I agree with John Best about the teaching days. A lot of people are giving their finals during the last week of the semester rather then during exam week and cutting off a week from the semester. Best: We have more and more content that we have to deliver to students to provide a high quality product. We should have at least one more day in the calendar. There should be 45-day semesters.

Tidwell: The Student Body President is here, what about asking her about this issue? Cox: There is no wide student opinion on it yet, and I would not like to speak on their behalf. Fischer: If you miss the material, then it is too damn bad. Best: What is our position as a Senate? Whoever goes forward on it, I want to know their position.

Tidwell: Do we want to appoint one of our own, or open this up to other faculty members? Best: Let’s put a call in the Senate minutes. Tidwell: Yes.

Ad Hoc Academic Calendar Committee, Spring Term 2001: Faculty members wishing to serve on such a committee should contact Dr. James Tidwell, Journalism Department, 581-7118, cfjat@eiu.edu, by noon on January 16, 2001.

Fischer: There are a number of questions on that calendar that I do not understand. Benedict: Aren't we regulated by the state about the days we meet? (There was much general discussion on the topic). Fewell: We have to have a semester that is "X" number of Carnegie units long for accreditation.

V. Old Business

A. Executive Committee: Tidwell: No report, you have heard it today. Canivez, Fischer, and Tidwell need to review the Senate by-laws dealing with faculty elections.

B. Nominations: Tidwell distributed a list of spring, 2001, committee appointments to the Senate members.

C. Student Faculty relations: No report.

D. Faculty-Staff Relations: No report.

E. VPAA Search: Best: The deadline for applications is one week from today. Currently there are about 30 applications. We will have a meeting to winnow to ten or so, then fly them into O’Hare, and then five will come to campus. We hope to have interviews prior to spring break. Benedict: Did we have much support from recommendations? Best: There was some activity.

F. VPBA Search: Tidwell: I could not contact Hank Davis. We have not done much yet.

G. TEDE Steering Committee: Tidwell: We are busily working. The TEDE grant applications are due Friday, January 12. We are doing our administrative models, and we will meet again this next Friday. I think at this point we will have three administrative models to present to the campus. Dean Hitch and I authored one of them that I will support. We will have something for people to look at within the next month.

H. CAS Taskforce: Tidwell: We are awaiting the first meeting.

I. Gradebook: Fraker: We will have our second meeting a week from today on Tuesday morning.

J. Academic Technology Advisory Committee: Tidwell: We have distributed the enhancement grants, $200,000 in about five minutes.

K. Council on University Planning and Budget: Tidwell: The CUPB is meeting this Friday.

VI: Old Business:

A. Faculty Forum: Tidwell: We do need to nail down our recommendations on the fall forum. Zahlan: We said we were going to look at the Dean's report. Tidwell said he would put a package of materials on the forum together for Senate consideration next week. Fewell: Could you send it as an attachment so we have it ahead of time for next meeting? Tidwell: Yes. TEDE is dealing with some of it right now, so some of it is almost pro forma. The Council of Deans Report is dated October 10, 2000, and is in your files.

Zahlan: When are we having Jon Laible (EIU Foundation) visit the Senate?

Tidwell: Is there other old business? Best: On Aug 29, 2000, VP Hencken reported about a previous Senate request to extend the hours for grade turn-in. That turned out to be very helpful. It is appropriate to say thanks for listening. You listened to us, you put some changes into play, and it is appreciated. Addison: With this last semester, some of the more popular class times had their scheduled exam period late in the week. It was helpful to have the extra time to mark essays. Fraker: Send him a letter, and carbon it to Sue Harvey. Tidwell: I will do so.

Fisher: Toosi also requested that we look at last year’s fall forum and subsequent actions. Tidwell: I will find that information and send it to you as an attachment.

VII. Adjournment: Fewell: 3:42 p.m.

Future Agenda Items

    1. Radio/TV Center, Nilsen

    2. EIU Foundation, Laible

Respectfully Submitted,

Charles G. Eberly, Recorder