FACULTY SENATE MINUTES FOR
October 3, 2000
(Vol. xxx, No. 7)

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:06 p.m. (Conference Room, 2540 Buzzard Hall)

Present: W. Addison, R. Benedict, J. Best, G. Canivez, J. Dilworth, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, B. Fischer, F. Fraker, N. Greer, R. Gruber, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, B. Young, and A. Zahlan. Guests: Acting VPAA Lida Wall, J. Niziolkiewicz

II. Approval of the minutes of September 26, 2000.

Motion (Young/Canivez) to approve the minutes of September 26, 2000.

Corrections: (1) p. 2, Nominations: "Addison questioned whether a replacement on the CAA (not UPC) would follow the Faculty Senate By-Laws." (2) p. 3, line 6: "Addison: …If students don’t do well on the ACT or SAT, they are unlikely to do well on the GREs, and most psychology students are planning to take the GRE." (3) p. 3, line 10: "Zahlan: If unqualified students reach "critical mass" in a class, it's hard to maintain high standards; but we can't write them off."

Addison asked if specific comments were needed for all topics in the minutes. After some discussion, the Senate consensus was to leave that determination to the Recorder.

Minutes approved with corrections: Yes: Fraker, Greer, Gruber, Tidwell, Toosi, Young, Zahlan, Addison, Benedict, Best, Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, and Fischer. Passed

Tidwell welcomed Dr. Norman Greer to the Senate, and Greer explained his inability to attend Senate at the beginning of the semester due to teaching changes within his department.

III. Communications

A. Minutes of the Council on Academic Affairs--Sept. 21, 2000

Oct. 5 and Oct 12, CAA will discuss specifics of General Education subcommittee recommendations. CAA will vote on recommendations Oct. 19, 2000.

B. Agenda for the Sept. 28, 2000, CAA Meeting.

C. Minutes of the Council on Graduate Studies--Sept. 19, 2000

Discussed CGS By-Laws revision items and made several small changes. The Graduate Dean's representative to the CGS will no longer have to be on the Council for Faculty Research. CGS adopted an academic integrity statement for graduate students, and adopted a change in the summer load limit for students. Graduate students can enroll for a maximum of 13 semester hours over the entire summer session.

E. Agenda for the Oct. 3, 2000 CGS Meeting

F. E-mail from Michael Loudon, English, regarding the 2000 budget requests.

IV. Old Business

A. Committee Reports

1. Executive Committee: Tidwell: Judy Gorrell will get some meetings times arranged with President Surles. Dean Augustine is to chair a committee appointed by the President to guide discussions on technology use, including the Chairs of CAA, COTE, CGS, and others. Wall: The purpose is to develop coordination for distance learning and enhancing of existing courses. Benedict: Will we be discussing the issue of computers hooked up which are in storage or need repair? Tidwell: yes.

2. Elections: Fischer: Fern Cory will serve on CAA, and has agreed. For the Enrollment Management Committee there was an alternate for Valencia Browning who got enough votes in the 1998 elections, and Steve Laribee has agreed to serve. In the COBAS, we tried to fill the UPC opening, and the person sent was not a tenured faculty member, so we are back trying to find another person. Dean Ivarie will find someone this week.

3. Nominations: Canivez has one candidate for the Library Advisory Board: Jeffrey R. Stowell, College of Sciences. Motion: (Canivez/Fraker) moved that Jeffrey R. Stowell be appointed as an alternate for this year, and a full member for the next two years. Yes: Greer, Gruber, Tidwell, Toosi, Young, Zahlan, Addison, Benedict, Best, Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, and Fraker. Passed.

Canivez: We still need representatives for the Library Advisory Board from COBAS and CEPS. Tidwell: Were there any takers on the Apportionment Board? Without them, Apportionment Board may not have a quorum to do business.

Faculty Volunteers are needed for the following Committee Appointments: Apportionment Board (meets on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.). Library Advisory Board (meets on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.) needs faculty from the College of Business and Applied Sciences, and the College of Education and Professional Studies. Contact Dr. Gary Canivez, cfglc@eiu.edu, 581-6413.


4. Student-Faculty Relations:
No Report.

5. Faculty-Staff Relations: Young has established a liaison with Joe DeCaro of Staff Senate. Staff Senate meets on the second Wednesday of every month at 1:30 P.M. Faculty Senators are welcome to attend the meeting. Young has also invited DeCaro to visit the Senate.

6. VPAA Search Committee: Best: Last Friday the Chair, Bonnie Irwin, asked the committee to begin a dialogue among constituents so that the selection process is very collaborative. Best distributed a list of questions for consideration about the roles/responsibilities of the VPAA. The committee will finalize an advertisement as soon as possible to place in The Chronicle on Nov. 17, 2000. The committee meets next on Oct. 13, 2000. Tidwell will place the VPAA selection on the Senate agenda for next week.

VPAA Search Committee questions: (1) What do you see as the primary opportunities in and challenges for the Academic Affairs area at Eastern over the next five years? (2) What are the important criteria to consider when screening candidates for the position of Provost on this campus? (3) Looking at this from the future perspective, how will we know we’ve hired the right person? What is it that he or she will have accomplished here that will tell us that? Please e-mail responses to John Best, Psychology, cfjbb@eiu.edu, 581-6412


7. Other Committees:
Eberly requested volunteers to help with the Rotary Pancake Breakfast the morning of Homecoming, October 7, 2000.

B. FY2002 Budget Request: Tidwell: The FY2002 Budget is the first to fit in with the new university planning process. These are appropriated funds budget requests packaged to fit IBHE goals. He distributed a summary sheet of the FY2002 Budget requests to the Senate.

Technology in the classroom (Goal II) and under Goal 4: The total requested is $950,335.00. If fully funded this would allow Eastern to support faculty development of web-enhanced courses. Tidwell read the details of the plan. Addison: You mentioned the creation of an administrative unit. Would it be in Academic Affairs? Wall: Yes. Fewell: Is this a baseline budget? Wall: Yes, it would be part of the base budget. Canivez: In technology infrastructure, is there a suggestion that we will be moving into an Ethernet system? Tidwell: Yes, the question is the cost. Wall: A building at a time is being done now. Benedict: Are we still looking at the Ballenger gift for a Teaching and Learning Center? Fewell: It is a curriculum facility for teacher preparation. It is not a curriculum preparation center for the college level. Zahlan: What is the point of spreading out the request in several categories? Tidwell: The effort is to make explicit that the IBHE goals are being met. Zahlan referred to Professor Louden's memo and the challenges to increasing diversity. Zahlan asked VP Wall about the nature of any diversity components in the budget plan, and Wall will look for the details and report back to the Senate.

Best: These initiatives really come from the bottom up, and we should have advocates for them. Tidwell: Yes, these initiatives were generated through the trenches to the President. Zahlan: Formerly the policy was to take away monies for diversity. Wall: There is $163,000 that will go to minority offices and towards recruitment.

Goal 3: holding the line on student course fees: $450.000.00. This request provides an Academic Affairs operating budget increase of 15% to provide for such expenses. Best: Course fees are not distributed equally across departments. Some will benefit, other departments which had a number of fees will not benefit. Wall: When it comes to the colleges, monies are distributed as departments justify needs. Best said he likes that one makes the case for monies, then one has to do what one says. Tidwell: The concern about the old allocation plan was that it set people up for failure; we need to make sure that does not happen here.

Goal 4: Virtual EIU: $100,000, is for more infrastructure. It will provide web-based access to EIU for prospective students, students, faculty, and staff, and place materials and services on the web. Tidwell: The University is in need of an overall Webmaster, and $100,000 is not much for this objective.

Goal 5: Top tier programs in Humanities and Sciences: One million. This supports University Goals for high quality programs in Biology, English, History, and Speech and Communications Disorders. It will fill six vacant positions, upgrade four ACF positions to tenure track, increase GA stipends, increase library holdings, and purchase instructional equipment. Best: This is an excellent opportunity for these selective departments. He encouraged other departments to take the initiative to go forward. Wall: Departments must feel they are ready to take on such an initiative. Some departments were hesitant to apply for the monies.

Fewell: What is faculty staff development under Goal 5? Tidwell said its use was to provide travel funds to faculty presenting at conferences, fostering leadership in faculty and staff by offering professional development seminars, etc. There is $50,000 requested in travel, etc. Goal 5: Student learning assessment: $400,000 is to allow EIU to centrally manage the assessment program and enhance accountability. We must enlarge the testing and assessment staff to oversee the assessment program. Addison: What about released time for college assessment coordinators. I thought we got rid of those. Tidwell said he has a problem with people getting released time and then whether that money actually gets to the department. Zahlan: You mean the department does not get compensated for the loss of the faculty person? Tidwell: yes.

Benedict: What about recruiting and retaining critical faculty and staff? Tidwell: That is part of a five-year plan to address salary inequities by the IBHE. Best: Did you say to "offset statutorily required early retirement costs?" Tidwell: It is the costs, not the retirement. Benedict: Basically that large chunk for faculty, is that counter-offer monies? Tidwell: This is additional money over and above the IBHE requests for salary to address inequities. Keep in mind that whatever we ask for, we get about a third of what we request.

Goal 2: Fraker: What is improved educational transitions? Tidwell: That is to support seamless transitions of high schools students to EIU. Fraker: Is there anything which addresses retention issues? Best: There is a migration study called for in the plan. Tidwell: The Assistant director of Alumni Services is to study migration of students into and out of Illinois.

Benedict: Is the FY2002 Budget Request a public document? Tidwell: Yes.

C. Fall Forum: Tidwell distributed a list of topics and a possible format to the Senate. The Senate reviewed suggested items and made revisions to clarify issues as they were listed. Motion: (Benedict/Addison) to approve the Fall Faculty Forum proposal are revised. Yes: Tidwell, Young, Zahlan, Addison, Benedict, Best, Canivez, Dilworth, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Greer, and Gruber (Toosi left prior to the vote). Passed. The revised announcement is appended to these minutes.

Fraker: What about intellectual property rights. Tidwell said he removed that topic because that is a collective bargaining and contractual issue. Addison: By the Faculty Senate Constitution, if it is contractual, we don't talk about it. Zahlan: It is not that we can't talk about it, but when Administration and Faculty are both present, it could be construed as a kind of de facto negotiation. Tidwell: Yes, it could be considered an unfair labor practice. Fischer: I don't buy that. Many faculty do not go to UPI meetings, and there are many others who can contribute. At least I have a better shot about getting them to the Faculty Forum than to a UPI meeting.

Fraker: What is the mission of a Forum if it is not information gathering? Open discussion provides opportunity. Dilworth: This is either a Forum or a presentation. I get really tired to going to presentations and not feeling that I have a voice. I understand the concerns, but there has to be some negotiated middle ground. Tidwell: The discussion is not limited; people can talk about any issues. He requested that Senators be thinking about which group they wanted to be in, and who would be Recorders.

Tidwell: On a related note, the Senate EC is meeting tomorrow with Henderson to review items for her master's thesis dealing with instructional technology. The thesis relates to the Forum topics.

D. Other Old Business: None

V. New Business: None

VI. Adjourn: Greer: 4:00 p.m.

Future Agenda Items

A. Fall Forum--November 7, 2000

Respectfully submitted,

Charles G. Eberly, Recorder

FALL FACULTY FORUM

Eastern's Educational Mission in an Online World

Date: Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2000

Time: 2-4:30 p.m.

Location: Charleston-Mattoon Room, MLK Union (Breakout sessions also scheduled for Effingham, and Kansas rooms)

Sponsors: Faculty Senate, Council on Academic Affairs, Council on Graduate Studies, Campus Chapter of University Professionals of Illinois

Format: Participants will convene in the Charleston-Mattoon Room for brief opening remarks and discussion. Then breakout sessions described below will convene at about 2:15 p.m. in assigned rooms of the MLK Union. Members of the Faculty Senate will act as coordinators and recorders of the discussions in each group. Each group will meet until about 3:30 p.m. Participants then will reconvene in the C-M Room and report on their discussions. The Faculty Senate will compile a report on the Forum to be distributed to the university community.

Breakout Sessions (The questions posed under each session are provided as a starting point and are not intended to limit discussions.)

Technology Support: infrastructure and instructional design

Do we have the network infrastructure, the personnel and the funding to maintain and support the hardware and software we need?

What kind of training and instructional design support do faculty members need and how do we provide it?

What's the appropriate organizational structure to effectively promote technology on campus?

Approval, assessment and evaluation of online courses

Should CAA, CGS and COTE treat online delivered courses differently in the approval process?

How do we evaluate online delivered courses?

How can assessment be used to promote the best instructional practices in the use of technology?

The role of technology in the Eastern mission

Can Eastern embrace online delivery of courses and still maintain its traditional emphasis on the undergraduate "residential experience"?

How can Eastern use new technologies to widen its outreach for both credit and noncredit courses?

How will new technologies affect Eastern's role in graduate education?