FACULTY SENATE MINUTES FOR
September 19, 2000
(Vol. xxx, No. 5)

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:05 p.m. (Conference Room, 2540 Buzzard Hall)

Present: W. Addison, R. Benedict, J. Best, G. Canivez, J. Dilworth, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, B. Fischer, F. Fraker, R. Gruber, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, B. Young, A. Zahlan. Excused: B. Young Absent: N. Greer Guests: A. Barharlou, M. Beurskens, J. Niziolkiewicz, L. Wall, L. Hyder

II. Approval of the minutes of September 12, 2000.

Motion (Fewell/Canivez) to approve the minutes of September 12, 2000.

Yes: Benedict, Best, Canivez, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Tidwell, and Toosi. Abstain: Zahlan

III. Communications

A. E-mail from Professor John Allison concerning enrollment declines--Sept. 8, 2000
B. Minutes of the Council on Graduate Studies--Sept. 6, 2000
Organizational meeting, no action items
C. Agenda for the Sept. 9, 2000 CGS Meeting.
D. List of proposed 2000-01 meeting dates for the Council on University Planning and Budget

IV. Old Business

A. Committee Reports
1. Elections
a: Results of Special Senate Elections
1 - semester term
- Russell Gruber: 74 votes
- 4 write in candidates each with one vote
1 year term:
- William Addison: 43 votes
- Michael Loudon: 40 votes
3 year term
- Jean Dilworth: 74 votes
- 4 write in candidates each with one vote

Motion to approve election results: (Benedict/Toosi) Yes: Canivez, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Fraker, Tidwell, Toosi, Zahlan, Benedict, Best

b. Seating of new Senators: Tidwell welcomed the new members to Senate, and asked them to introduce themselves to the group.

c. Fischer thanked the Senators for their assistance during the elections. The UPC is still one person short. No one was elected in1997 and the same person was elected in 1999 and 2000. UPC is still short one person in the College of Business and Applied Sciences. Tidwell: There were no alternates in either year, so the Dean will be contacted to make an appointment. He will check the Senate By-Laws to make certain a special election is not needed, however.

2. Executive Committee: EC has not met since last week. Tidwell is working to identify meeting times with President Surles and Acting Provost Wall. He did attend Presidents Council last Wednesday a.m., where Native American issues were discussed as a follow-up to a Senate request. Tidwell will contact the people who visited Senate last year on Native American issues.

Enrollment figures have not been reported yet. There is a total 9,834 on campus enrollment, compared to fall 1999 at 10,448, a 5.8% decline. Overall the total is 10,637 compared to 11,226 in fall, 1999, a 5.2% decline. The drop is having a dramatic impact on the budget with less tuition money. Minority enrollment is up from 8.1 to 9.04 percent. The Enrollment Management Committee meets Thursday; Best will report to Senate next week. Honors enrollment has increased. Freshman enrollment is up 12, and men's halls are full, so the drop is elsewhere. All figures are down except new, first-time students.

3. Nominations: Canivez: Valencia Browning is on another committee, so will need to be replaced on Enrollment Management with someone from Business and Applied Sciences. Everyone appointed to the Apportionment Board last year has now resigned. Howard Price had a conflict with interest with the Student Recreation Board. Joyce Bishop is willing to serve in some capacity. Canivez will have the names of replacements next week.

Any Unit A faculty member willing to serve on a university committee is requested to contact Dr. Gary Canivez, cfglc@eiu.edu, 581-6413

Sharon Woodyard, William Joyce, and Sam Fagaly are possible alternates for the committee, which meets Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. The committee approves appropriations from student fee money.

Parking Appeals Committee: Tidwell said someone from Student Government called to request a Senator for a parking committee. He was not certain of the exact request and asked Gary Kelly, Student Senator, to clarify the request.

4. Student-Faculty Relations: No report

5. Faculty-Staff Relations: No report. The Staff Senate Chair is Doug Sloat.

6. Council on University Planning and Budget: The committee met and elected officers for the 2000-2001 year as follows:

Chair: Elizabeth Hitch--represents Council of Deans
Hank Davis--represents College of business and Applied Sciences
Charles Delman--represents University Professionals of Illinois
Elmer Pullen --represents Staff Senate
Bill Witsman --represents Vice President of Business Affairs
Rita Giannoli --represents Graduate Students

Tidwell: Two faculty members are on the Executive Board this year with Dean Hitch as Chairperson. He distributed copies of the FY2001 and FY2002 Budget Summary from CUPB to the Senate. There were planned monies to cushion the expected enrollment decline. The expected drop in Income Funds is about 1.4 million, but 1.1 million of that was anticipated. About $350,000 will be taken from the microcomputer replacement fund to make up the remaining deficit due to the enrollment decline. This will have no effect on student labs that are financed through student fee money. Fewell: If there are fewer students on a base budget, then there will be some effect there, too.

Tidwell said there was a heated discussion over $500,000 President Surles has reserved for web-based instruction. CUPB was not asked to approve the allocation. Tidwell referred to the FY2002 budget that is geared toward program priority requests and the Citizens Initiative of Illinois. This year the whole planning cycle and budget will be coordinated. Tidwell noted that 1.2 million was listed for technology and web instruction in FY2002.

Zahlan: What is the item dealing with migration of Illinois College Students? Is that a contribution to some large study? Fewell: That is part of a statewide study for the IBHE.

Tidwell: There is a million for top tier programs in humanities and sciences, and about 1.3 million related to technology in the classroom. How much of this budget we will get from Legislature is another question. It will probably be cut by a third.

Canivez: What about "create/expand technology infrastructure" for $625,000? What aspect of infrastructure? Wall: That item came from requests of departments on campus. Tidwell said he requested the details of that from Kim Furuma last Friday. Wall: The FY2002 budget meets the Illinois Citizens Agenda--all items were put into the ICA categories.

Tidwell distributed the CUPB Calendar for the year and the capital funds requests. Tidwell thinks EIU will get the money. Planning for the new science building is in the request for FY2002. Fewell: The rule of thumb for when a building actually receives funding is eight years unless there is a legislative changeover. The legislature is up for grabs this November.

7: Other Committees: None

Chair Tidwell announced that the Senate would move to New Business and Dr. Wall’s visit, then go to the Fall Forum in Old Business afterwards.

V. New Business: Dialogue with Dr. Lida Wall, Acting Provost and VPAA.

Dr. Wall: This has been an exciting week and a half. I have taken the job with the idea to move forward, to support projects already initiated, and to get other things developed during the year. Wall wants to work with the Senate. We are not always going to agree, but I will assure that the Senate has input. You may not like the decision that has been made, but you will have input.

Wall recapped several initiatives: (1) general education progress has gone well. It offers opportunities to students to transfer in more smoothly (and also to transfer out more smoothly). She asked the faculty to be alert to the changes in rules. (2) The focus on the FY2001 funds in the academic area is to faculty/staff salaries, retaining/replacing critical faculty/staff, enhancing the operating budget, support for program and peer reviews, and attention to increases in graduate assistantship stipends. (3) The focus for FY2002 is planning dollars for departments and all units on campus from each of the VP areas. I think we all need to do some image building. It is much easier to provide funds to successful areas. We need a positive image. (4) Technology enhanced education is growing at an extremely rapid pace, and we need to be a part of that. It is an essential thing that we need to do. The IBHE and the Citizens Agenda are all tied together. We can't operate in isolation. Technology is one additional component of the University. We will have issues with accreditation and quality assurance. Guidelines for curricular issues should come from CAA. There are also issues of copyright and intellectual rights. I have written a letter to UPI asking that the Technology Task Force of last May begin to work again.

Enrollment: We do have some concerns with enrollment, but we have to be careful not to paint a gloomy picture and then fulfill the prophecy. The freshman numbers are up; that is the good news. Now we must keep the rest of the students.

Academic program areas: Wall wants to make sure that academic programs get some good visibility and are used to recruit students. We need to make the good things known. We need to tell each other as well as the community.

Graduate programs now have some identity. The stipends for GAs have increased, and she expects an upward change in stipend. Dean Augustine has instituted new awards to graduate students, stipend levels have increased, and there is money for thesis, research, and travel opportunities. EIU needs a strong graduate school

Academic Environment: We need to make EIU visible as a place where scholarly research and creativity is a part of both graduate and undergraduate experience, especially to students via research and internships. Their participation is compatible with the IBHE Citizen's Agenda. I have taken students two years in a row to Springfield, and both students and Legislators enjoyed it. I was very impressed with the student work, and showing it to the Legislature is a very positive experience. Dr. Wall listed various faculty projects of an outstanding nature. My campaign is to get this to the wider community to let them know we are doing a good job.

Tidwell: Would you address the issues of course fees? Wall: The Dean's Council was asked to respond to what were listed as fees and whether some fees being charged were appropriate. The Deans all reviewed the fees, then Department Chairs, and in April 2000, Academic Affairs developed a table of approved course fees, again reviewed through the Deans and Chairs. In August, 2000, their recommendations were submitted to President's Council. Fees were changed or eliminated as requested by Departments.

Tidwell read a list of the eliminated fees, and recommended that Senators read IGP 125, in effect beginning August 30, 2000, about course charges (http://www.eiu.edu/~presiden/IGP/policy125.html). Tidwell: The President’s Council minutes mentioned a fees and fines audit. Wall: It was done about three years ago. The best approach is to have enough money in the general operating fund to take care of these fees, but we are far from that state. It will be difficult to get any new fees added.

Fischer: All field trip fees were denied. Wall: I don't know about specific fees. No new fees were approved by the President's council. Fischer: How do we cover those? Wall: Hopefully it will be addressed with the increase in the operating budgets.

Zahlan: Did we have some retention problems? Wall: We are looking as to why we lost some students. Student Affairs is doing a survey. Our office is working to determine growth areas, and where we can do more to recruit. At least three of the colleges are paying for travel fees for Chairs to recruit in three areas of the state. This was not done before. We are joining with Student Affairs to do this. Enrollment is down now, but it could be back up again next year.

Zahlan: Campus construction probably does not help. Tidwell: Construction may be a factor, library construction in particular. It may just be a temporary issue. When Journalism was out of Buzzard for a few years our enrollment dropped 15 %, but is now back up. Wall: Nevertheless we can't be complacent about it. Tidwell: I keep hearing that admission to teacher education has a major impact upon enrollment. I’ve heard that people can go to Illinois State and get admitted, where they can't here. Wall: That has been a rumor, and we need to know more about it.

Toosi: One retention issue is the quality of student life. As a traditional, residential university, we need to study student life and make sure out of class life is positive. What is it that students want when they come to campus--social life is important. Eberly: service learning needs to be addressed with a full time coordinator on campus to integrate it with in-class learning activities.

Best: What about the mention of top tier programs in the FY2002 budget. That concept may not be understood by faculty. It would be useful for you to discuss the concept of top tier so faculty have a sense of their role in the process. Wall will go back through materials and respond to Senate after she reviews the materials. Best hoped that top tier programs will be presented as an invitational way for faculty to take programs to a higher level.

Tidwell: Goal six of the Illinois Commitment reads, "…reallocation of base budgets from lower to higher priority programs," so it does say there is a movement of base budgets and pits departments against each other. Wall: I do not intend to take from anybody. We do need to work to enhance what is good. Competition is healthy. Some programs grow, others shrink.

Fraker: The Fall Forum topic is technology. Can you talk about how you see technology integrated into programs. Wall: It can be done so that it enhances the mission of the university, compatible with the way the faculty wants to do it. What we cannot do is stand still. We must be on the forefront of the process. Tidwell: A story in today’s Times-Courier reports about Lake Land College’s external degree completion programs in five or six areas. Dr. Luther was quoted as saying we would like agreements with closer institutions like EIU. Wall: As a University, we need to take a positive stance in this. We should be participants. We have had an accord with Lake Land for some time, and we need to follow up.

Chair Tidwell thanked Dr. Wall for visiting with the Senate, then moved back to Old Business.

IV. Old Business

B. Fall Forum:

Tidwell recognized Dr. Alan Barharlou, who presented the 2000 Professor Laureate plaque to Dr. Bud Fischer.

Tidwell went to CAA last week to discuss the Fall Forum plans. He distributed a handout describing a summary of last week's Senate meeting. Zahlan: I would like to understand the idea of breaking up into smaller numbers so we have a better discussion. I think it is important to communicate across individual groupings and biases as a whole. Faculty gravitate to the group that we already agree with.

Tidwell said he also plans to invite the Instructional Support Specialists on Thursday. Fraker: What about sending out a web questionnaire to get a pulse of the campus. Ask faculty about what issues dealing with the use of technology they are willing to report

Tidwell appointed Fraker as a chair of a subcommittee to determine the content of a survey to the faculty. Fewell: Technology can be a very volatile subject, make it a pulse, but I am concerned about people who react with two-level thinking. Wall: There is a report that has been completed by the Dean's Council; it would be good to get that information approved by the President, so that they have something first to deal with. Dilworth: I have three faculty members who will not answer anything over e-mail. Who is the audience for this survey? Fraker: My perception is that there are people who never want to touch a computer, so how do we integrate their values in what we do along with those using technology? The way a question is phrased is critical. Benedict: It is a validity issue. Are we measuring what we really want to measure? We need to be educated as a campus about what these things are specifically. I am still confused with the terms. Even in the Chronicle terms are not used consistently. I would be interested in serving on the committee

Fewell: When we talk about technology and students, no one is instructed about how to use the campus technology. We also have to talk about the reasons why were are here, and that is the students. I don't want to take class time to teach technology. Students teach each other, and they do not teach each other well. Part of why we are here is to address the needs of the students. We do not really have a student component in the discussion topics. Tidwell: The problem is in teaching software which changes quickly. Fewell: There is a particular problem with non-traditional students. Eberly: I have used listservs with classes since 1995, and non-traditional students have been enthusiastic participants in the discussion on the listservs. Toosi: This technology is more complicated than an overhead projector, but it is only a tool for instruction. Some faculty members are not yet ready for the Internet. We need to have the infrastructure well organized to take care of the quality enhancement issues. Let's not just jump in without careful planning. Fraker: More accrediting agencies are looking at technology. Within departments, what courses are reasonable to offer on-line. These decisions are more appropriately made at the departmental level. At the macro level, re, degree completion, those decisions are made somewhere up the line.

Tidwell: CAA has appointed a task force to explore the approval of on-line courses. There are numbers of issues to consider. Dr. Augustine said a national graduate deans group has adopted the recommendation that courses need not be approved again. The delivery of a course should be up to individual faculty members. Wall: We have a number of groups on campus to explore the issues. The structure is there, perhaps we need a steering committee to coordinate the discussion. Tidwell has a draft copy of the Dean's report. Wall: It is a draft copy of the Dean's visions. There will be aspects that the President accepts, some rejected, then the report will be released for campus discussion. We need to proceed in an orderly fashion. Fewell: Faculty are waiting for the discussion. We are at the point that we are ready for the issues. Wall: We will listen to everything that comes up. Technology has been a topic for at least two-three years. Fewell: We need some leadership, Provost Wall: Wall: Just give me a week (group laughter).

Dilworth: How were topics on this list determined? Tidwell: It was not done in a systematic manner. Fraker: What about adding one more focus group on student outcomes. What do we want students to know, to be able to do in the way of technology. Benedict: The CASL committee is addressing this issue, and will meet next week. Addison: Rather than student outcomes in technology, what about using technology in relation to critical thinking, writing skills, etc. Wall: This whole thing can be very, very exciting.

Tidwell looked into moving the date of Fall Forum sooner, but MLK, Jr., Union was booked. He was able to get the Charleston/Mattoon Rooms from 2-5 p.m. on November 7, 2000.

Tidwell: The meeting with Senator Rauschenberger has been moved to October 31, 2000. Fewell: Are we going to have a discussion with Jill Nilsen about planning for the meeting? Tidwell: Yes, we'll meet with the President and with Jill before the meeting.

C. Other Old Business: none

V. New Business:

Zahlan: Want about the freedom of speech issue? Tidwell: That is on the EC committee agenda to talk with the President.

B. Other new Business: None

VI. Adjourn 3:50 p.m. (Canivez)

Future Agenda Items

A. The Honorable Steve Rauschenberger, Chair of the Appropriations Committee of the Illinois
State Senate, will meet with the Senate Oct. 31, 2000.

Respectfully Submitted,
Charles G. Eberly, Recorder