FACULTY SENATE MINUTES

FOR FEBRUARY 11 l997

(vol.xxvi,no.20)

 

I. Called to order by Gail Richard at 2:03 p.m.

Present: J. Best, G. Foster, F. Fraker, N. Furumo, B. Kirk, P. Lenihan, G. Lockart, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, D. Wolf. A. Zahlan present for part of the meeting. Guests: W. Addison, B. Anderson, J. Anselment, D. Jorns, J. McGrath

II. Approval of the Minutes of 2-4-97.

A motion (Walker/Foster) to approve the minutes of February 4, l997.

Yes - Best, Foster, Fraker, Furumo, Kirk, Lenihan, Lockart, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Wolf

III. Communications

A. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - l/30/97

B. Minutes - Council on Teacher Education - l/28/97

C. Minutes - College of Sciences Curriculum Committee - l/22/97

D. Notice of Open Forum for the review of Graduate Assistantship Initiative 2000 - on Feb. l8, l997, at 3:30 p.m. in the Arcola/Tuscola Room. Memo from T. Gladsky

E. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - l/2l/97, 2/4/97

F. Minutes - Library Advisory Board - l/22/97

G. Memo from F. Hohengarten regarding the election of a representative to the Enrollment Management Advisory Committee from the College of Arts and Humanities

H. Minutes - Student Senate - l/l5/97, l/22/97, l/29/97

I. Minutes - Intercollegiate Athletic Board - l2/5/96

J. Memo to Terry Weidner from Gail Richard regarding the Faculty Senate Recorder

K. Minutes - Staff Senate - l/9/97

L. Memo from Terry Weidner to Gail Richard regarding the summary data for the l996 Writing Competency Examination

IV. Old Business

A. Faculty Forum on University Technology - Policy & Planning. There have been 4 requests to speak at the forum. Attendance at the forum is encouraged.

B. Joint Resolution on Academic Calendar - Motion to remove the resolution off the table (Kirk/Simpson)

DISCUSSION OF THE RESOLUTION

l. Lockart - Faculty from Elem and J.H. Ed. supported the fall break

2. Fraker - Questions were raised as to whether this would affect theThanksgiving break

3. Furumo - supported the idea of reinstating the fall break

4. Simpson - The fall break balanced the class days for the fall and spring.

5. Walker - Is the addition of a fall break consistent with what we are stating in the goals and objectives of the university? To what extent are we helping the student prepare for the real world by giving them a day off? Did the resolution bypass the Calendar Committee?

6. Anselment - The information that was provided with the resolution was not to be interpreted as a scientific survey. The information only reflected the information from public institutions in the state. The faculty perspective on this issue is important and this is the reason the resolution was brought before the Faculty Senate. There was also discussion about the effect that the week off for Thanksgivinghad on the academic performance of students when they returned to classes.

7. B. Addison suggested that he had data from his own classes that might infer that the week at Thanksgiving does affect the performance of students on tests.

8. H. Nordin indicated that the Thanksgiving break was extended because students often took the full week. There was no action taken on the Thanksgiving break. It was suggested that the Calendar Committee might continue to review this.

VOTE ON THE RESOLUTION - Yes - Foster, Fraker, Furumo, Lenihan, Lockart, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Wolf. No - Best, Kirk, Nordin, Walker

C. Committee Reports

l. Nominations - No report

2. Elections - information will be available at the 2/l8/97 Senate meeting

3. Faculty-Staff Relations - Staff Senate will discuss the possibility of a Faculty/Staff/Student Senates reception at their 2/l3/97 meeting.

4. Faculty-Student Relations - no report

5. Executive Committee Meeting - 2/l0/97

a. Comments on the goals and objectives in the Strategic Positioning document should be put in writing and sent to President Jorns. It would be more effective if the comments were summarized and represented those from a constituent group. The drafting committee will review the comments and revise the document. The revised document will then go to the CUPB.

b. The restructuring of the Lumpkin College of Business is a contractual issue and is not one that Faculty Senate would typically discuss. L. Walker suggested that not all aspects are contractual issues and therefore, faculty from that college might come to Senate with noncontractual issues. G. Richard indicated that the Senate would make that determination if issues are brought forward.

c. Data concerning the percentage of transfer students at EIU as compared to other state institutions was distributed. The info was provided by F. Hohengarten. G. Foster questioned as to how "transfer" was being defined.

d. The Forum on Graduate Assistantship Initiative 2000 will be held on 2/l8/97 at 3:30 p.m. Chair Richard suggested that the Senate conduct business until 3:l5 p.m. and then adjourn to the forum.

e. A President's Council Retreat was held on l/30/97. Several good initiatives were discussed. The President's Council will continue to discuss and then prepare a budget proposal for the CUPB.

f. The Taskforce on the Integration of Undergraduate Student Services has not meet.

g. The Screening Committee for the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies is being selected.

h. The composition of the VPAA Search Committee will be determined in March.

6. CUPB Meeting - February 28, l997 - 3:00 p.m.

7. Athletic Director Search - The committee will attempt to narrow the candidates to at least two and then will make visits to their communities.

8. Candidates for Human Resources

a. Douglas DeFrain - Feb. l9 - 1:00 - Martinsville Room

b. Willaim Evans - Feb. 25 - l:00 - l895 Room

c. Robert Wayland - Feb. 26 - 1:00 - Charleston/Mattoon Room

V. New Business

A. Agenda Items -

Pending - Taskforce on Administrative Evaluation

Taskforce on Counseling Center - target date for report 3/ll/97

Strategic Positioning - Written suggestions should be sent to Gail Richard by 2/l7/97. She will compile the info and present to Senate on 2/l8/97.

B. New Business

The Executive Committee (Richard-Schmidt-Tidwell) will be reviewing the constitution and bylaws. Individuals wishing to propose revisions should do so in writing to a member of the Executive Committee by 2/l6/97.

VI. Adjourn - 3:l0 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted: Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder