Faculty Senate Minutes

of January l4, l997 (vol.xxvi,no.l6)

Called to order by Gail Richard at 2:04 p.m. Welcomed Gail Lockhart as a replacement for Jayne Ozier who is on sabbatical.

Present: J. Best, G. Foster, F. Fraker, N. Furumo, B. Kirk, P. Lenihan, G. Lockart, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, D. Wolf, A. Zahlan.

Visitors: B. Anderson, J. Anselment, S. Boehmer

II. Approval of the Minutes

A motion (Tidwell/Foster) to approve the minutes of December 3, l996.

Yes -Best, Foster, Fraker, Furumo, Lenihan, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell,Wolf

Abstain - Kirk, Lockart, Walker

III. Communications

A. Staff Senate Minutes - ll/l4/96 & l2/l2/96

B. Council on Graduate Studies Minutes - l2/3/96

C. Council on Academic Affairs Minutes - l2/5/96

D. College of Science Curriculum Minutes - ll/2l/96, l2/5/96

E. Student Senate Minutes - ll/20/96, l2/4/96

F. Council on Teacher Education Minutes - l2/l0/96

G. Intercollegiate Athletic Board Minutes - ll/7/96

H. Memo to President David Jorns,with copies to Vice President Hencken, coaching staff, Faculty Senate, Student Senate and Staff Senate from the Intercollegiate Athletics Board regarding a Position Statement on Gambling in Athletics- l2/l0/96.

I. Council on University PLanning & Budget Minutes from l0/l8/96

J. Council on University Planning & Budget Meeting Agenda for l/24/97

K. Board of Trustees Agenda for Meeting by Conference Call on l2/l8/96

L. Memo from Chris Waldrep to Dean Johnson regarding the position of the history faculty regarding the "Strategy for Asynchorous Learning" scheme proposed by David E. Henard, Associate Vice President for Information Technology Services. l2/5/96

M. E-mail from Bill Kirk regarding the status of the Counseling Center Task Force

N. E-mail from Gail Mason regarding an interest in serving on the search committees for Associate VPAA and Provost/VPAA.

O. Memo from Mark Haines regarding suggestions to increase faculty participation in commencement ceremonies.

P. Communication from Jill Nilsen regarding the BOT Meeting on l/27/97

IV. Motion by Chair Gail Richard to move into Executive Session to discuss confidential matters regarding Faculty Senate Members and invited Jason Anselment to be included.

Yes-Best, Foster, Fraker, Furumo, Kirk, Lenihan, Lockart, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt,

Simpson, Tidwell, Wolf, Zahlan

Abstain - Walker

Moved out of Executive Session to General Session.

A motion (Wolf/Kirk) to invite Jason Anselment to the January 2l, l997, Faculty Senate meeting to discuss the student referendum regarding the fee increase and student participation in that referendum.

V. Old Business

A. Committee Reports

l. Nominations - no report

2. Elections - no report

3. Faculty-Staff Relations - no report

4. Search Committee for Director of Athletics--Gail Richard, Chair of the Search Committee reported that the interview schedule for the four candidates has been established. Interviews will begin January 2l and end on February 7, l997. Senator Richard will provide a copy of the interview schedule to members of the Faculty Senate.

5. Bylaws Review Committee - The Executive Committee (Richard, Schmidt, Tidwell) will review the bylaws. Other senators are encouraged to review the bylaws and provide input.

6. Executive Committee - A meeting time with President Jorns will be discussed after the meeting.

B. Other Old Business

Senator Walker requested that the Faculty Senate be kept apprised of the decisions made by the Taskforce on University College. Senator Foster is a member of the taskforce and will provide information to the Senate.

VI. New Business

A. Chair Richard opened a discussion concerning the small number of faculty who participate in the commencement ceremonies. Chair Richard asked if Faculty Senators felt it was important to talk to departments and to get ideas for better representation by faculty at a public forum such as commencement.

Discussion on this follows:

a. J. Best - Is participation by faculty in this event about the same as it is in other activities - i.e. Faculty Senate elections?

b. A. Zahlan felt that faculty were not encouraged to participate and thought that space was a problem

c. H. Nordin felt that faculty were not recognized at the ceremony so attendance did not seem to make a difference.

d. J. Best stated that possibly it would be beneficial to find out the motives for going or not going.

e. B. Kirk stated that faculty are there to see the students and meet their families. The senate concluded that there seemed to be enough interest in this matter to have additional dialogue with members of the commencement ceremony committee and M. Haines.

B. Agenda Items-l/2l/97

l. Taskforce on Administrative Evaluation

2. Taskforce on Counseling Center Report

3. Commencement Ceremony

4. Jason Anselment on student referendum

VII. Senator Walker moved to adjourn at 3:20 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder