FOR MARCH ll, 1997


I. CALLED TO ORDER by Gail Richard at 2:04 p.m.

Present: J. Best, G. Foster, F. Fraker, N. Furumo, B. Kirk, P. Lenihan, G. Lockart, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, D. Wolf, A. Zahlan Guests: B. Anderson, S. Bordenkircher, T. Larson, J. McGrath, D. Stepansky


Correction: N. Furumo present. IV.E Vote - Walker abstain

A motion (Walker/Lockart) to approve the minutes of 3/4/97 with corrections. Yes - Best, Foster, Furumo, Lenihan, Lockart, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan. Abstain - Fraker, Kirk


A. Minutes - Student Senate - 2/26/97

B. Minutes - Council on Teacher Education - 2/25/97

C. Minutes - President's Council - 3/5/97

D. Memo to President Jorns from the Council on Graduate Studies regarding the "Strategic Positioning"

E. Minutes - Intercollegiate Athletic Board - 2/6/97

F. E-mail - Brian Anderson- re: Student Government sponsored debate for the Charleston mayoral candidates on 3/27/97 a 7 p.m. in Lumpkin l22.

G. E-mail from Nancy Marlow reporting on the statement prepared by the Faculty Advisory Committee to the IBHE regarding the opposition of the committee to expansion of MAP eligibility to proprietary schools.

H. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - 3/6/97

I. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - 3/4/97

J. Memo - Erin Weed - regarding the appointment of Paul Bugielski to the Distinguished Faculty Award Committee - 3/6/97

Questions were raised as to whether the CAA would be discussing the Individualized Study Program at the 3/l3/97 meeting? The item was not listed on the minutes of 3/6/97 although S. Bordenkircher indicated it was on the CAA agenda for 3/l3/97.

Richard - Her opinion was that the CAA should react to it first and then the Faculty Senate might respond later.

Zahlan - There may be issues other than curricular issues so Senate might want to discuss this.

Simpson - His opinion was that the CAA should deal with this.

Zahlan - Faculty Senate minutes are in more detail than council minutes so it might be important to let the faculty know what the issues are with this program.

Conclusion - A representative of Faculty Senate should attend the CAA meeting on 3/l3/97 and bring information back to the Senate. Gail Richard will try to attend that meeting.


A. Chief Larson reported on the implementation of 911. Beginning on March l7th dispatching will be done at the 911 center. When the campus number 32l2 is called, it will be answered at the 911 center. The caller should give the necessary information and the call will be transferred to the appropriate person. If parking information is needed, dial 581-5416. Individuals are reminded that they should verify the information that is available at the 911 center. When this is to be done will be publicized in the paper. Call 711 to verify the info. Everyone on campus will have their own telephone line.

B.Taskforce on Counseling Center - Bill Kirk reported that the taskforce is reviewing the accuracy of the information that has been gathered. The report will be available at the Faculty Senate meeting on 3/25/97.

C. Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Input on Technology - Policy & Planning--James Tidwell reported that the following are members of that committee: J. Tidwell-Chair, L. Walker, B. Jorstad, F. Yaffe, P. Andrews, G. Robinson, B. Hubschmitt, N. Marlow, K. Ketler, and J. Barford. Tidwell reported thathe would like at least one additional person from the College of Education and Professional Studies. The role of the committee is to identify issues related to academic computing. The committee will make recommendations that will be brought to the Faculty Senate for discussion. The committee plans to complete its work by the end of the school year.

D.The Retirement Dinner will be April 25. Faculty will receive a certificate from the university as well as an acknowledgement from the Faculty Senate. In the past this has been a plaque. Gail Richard will look into alternative recognition items. Gail Richard will verify the list of retirees as there appears to be a discrepancy in the initial list and the list she has now. John Flynn will discuss with Staff Senate the possibility of providing some type of recognition item for those retirees represented by the Staff Senate.

E. Committee Reports

l. Executive Committee Report - Bill Kirk will represent the Senate on the Search Committee for the Associate VPAA. L. Hitch is the chair. The VPAA search committee will be named by the end of the year with advertisement of the position in the summer.

2. Nominations - A. Zahlan reported that she has not received any nominations for the Distinguished Faculty Award. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION FOR THE DISTINGUISHED FACULTY AWARD IS 4:00 p.m. FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 1997.

3. Elections - J. Tidwell reported that there was an error in the positions available for the COTE and the UPC. Those candidate who had applied for the UPC (Nancy Marlow) and the canddiate who had applied for COTE (Christine McCormick) had met all deadlines were allowed to select another council or committee. They will need to have the petition signers initial the petition with the change in council or committee. Evelyn Goodrick is a candidate for the Admissions Review Committee for the College of Arts and Humanities.

Tidwell reviewed the participation and voting history and indicated that the number of faculty petitioning for positions and the number voting in elections has dropped each year since l989.

4. Parking Committee - L. Walker reported that the sub-committee of the Parking Committee has presented the results of their survey to the committee. Numerous recommendations were made and those will be sent to the President's Council.

5. CUPB - J. Tidwell reported that the CUPB approved a reporting procedures to make sure planning dollars are spent for what they were approved. The VP Advisory Committees seem to be working very well. March 28th is the major meeting where all planning procedures are brought to the CUPB for approval.


A. Agenda Items - 3/25/97

Report - Taskforce on Counseling Center

Individualized Study Program - Non-major degree program

Faculty Advisory Committee to the IBHE - MAP eligibility

VI.ADJOURN - 3:l5 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder

The Faculty Senate apologizes for any inconvenience which might have occurred as a result of the problems with the food for the reception after the State of the University Address.

REMINDER: FACULTY SENATE ELECTIONS ON MARCH 26 AND 27, l997, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. in the hallway by the University Bookstore.