FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR DECEMBER 2, 1997
(Vol. xxvii, No. 13)

I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:02 p.m.Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Guests: J. Abel, L. Crofutt, A. Granger, C. Oliver.

II. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF NOVEMBER 18, 1997.

A motion (Walker/Gholson) to approve the minutes of November 18, 1997. Yes - Allison, Foster, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan. Abstain - Richard

III. COMMUNICATIONS

A. Minutes - Council on Teacher Education - 11/11/97

B. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - 11/13/97 & 11/20/97

C. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - 11/18/97

D. Minutes - Staff Council - ll/12/97

E. Minutes - College of Sciences Curriculum Committee - 11/13/97

F. Governmental Relations Report - ll/17/97

G. National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE) Convention Announcement and Call for Presentations

H. E-mail from J. Coons expressing appreciation to the Faculty Senate regarding consolidation

I. John Allison reported that he had talked with Ron Phillips about the $75.00 computer charge and felt that it was a legitimate charge.

J. John Allison apprised the Senate of the Illinois Articulation Initiatives

IV. OLD BUSINESS

A. G. Richard communicated with B. Whittenbarger about the Council of Chairs report regarding analysis and suggestions regarding Constitutional Planning.The chairs have met but no report has been generated. The report from the chairs is on hold until after January 1998.

B. A. Zahlan requested the Botany/Zoology Consolidation be included on the agenda stating that the shortened Senate meeting on 11/18/97 did not allow for sufficient discussion on the issue of maintaining the Botany degree. Relative to the departments of Botany and Zoology the following motion was presented: MOTION (Zahlan/Allison) The Faculty Senate urges the President and the Vice President of Academic Affairs to commit the University to continuation and support of the degree structure currently in place.

Discussion

Is this an issue that Faculty Senate should continue to discuss?

There is a retreat on Saturday for those affected by the consolidation. Therefore, a vote on this is premature.

Some felt the degree structure and identity was an issue that should be of concern to the faculty.

MOTION (Walker/Allison) to table the motion.

C. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee & Liaison Coordinator - no report

2. Elections Committee - No report

3. Faculty-Student Relations Committee - D. Stepansky is new speaker

4. Faculty-Staff Relations - no report

5. Executive Committee

MOTION (Tidwell/Eberly) to approve the change in the Constitution, Article IX: Section I - Faculty Senate Meetings The Faculty Senate shall meet at least twice monthly at 2:00 p.m. Tuesday when the University is in session during the fall and spring semesters. The Faculty Senate shall meet at least once during the eight-week summer session, with the date(s) and time of the summer meetings determined by the Faculty Senate as a whole. (Present language says: The Faculty Senate shall meet at least twice monthly when the University is in session. The date of the regular meetings shall be determined by the Faculty Senate as a whole.)

Amendment to the motion (Walker/Zahlan) to change once to twice. Vote on the amendment: Yes - Allison, Eberly, Gholson, Walker, Zahlan. No - Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell. Abstain - Nordin, Richard (5-8-2) Defeated

Vote on the original motion: Yes - Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell. No - Allison. Abstain - Walker, Zahlan (12-1-2) Passed. The change in the constitution will be placed on the ballot in the Spring for a vote by the faculty.

6. Faculty Senate "Committee on Committees" - committee has not met.N. Furumo has agreed to chair the committee and will convene the committee before the end of the semester.

7. Other Committee Reports

a. N. Marlow distributed a summary of the IBHE Meeting on 11/11/97 and noted the following:

The Capital Scholars Program at the University of Illinois-Springfield was defeated (7-7). This was to make UI-S a four-year degree granting institution.

The Technology Task Force Report was endorsed.

The PQP program is being interpreted as cuts. IBHE seems to measure productivity by program cuts and schools are being commended for making cuts in programs. Eastern was commended for the review and elimination of the following programs: M.S.Ed. in Business Education, Ed.S. in Guidance and Counseling, Phase-down of B.S. in Medical Technology, Consolidation of M.S.Ed. programs in biological sciences and physical sciences and continuing to review the graduate program in gerontology.

The IBHE approved the B.S.B. in Business Administration to be offered at Parkland.

Dr. Keith Sanders will be appointed as Executive Director of the IBHE, effective January 1, 1998.

b. R. Gholson reported that the VPAA search is on schedule with interviews to start in February.

c. C. Eberly reported that the Textbook Rental Committee met. A request was made to have that committee look into the policy of how to handle CD's that come with textbooks.

d. There was a question as to the status of the search committee for the President. The composition of that committee has not been reported by the Board.

V. NEW BUSINESS

A. B. Bolter, T. Ivarie and W. Hine will provide an update on the International Programs & Off-campus programs at the 12/9/97 Faculty Senate Meeting

B. G. Richard will contact C. Evans about coming to the Senate to discuss the Illinois Articulation Initiatives and the University Studies Plan. Others involved in the articulation plan will also be contacted.

VI. ADJOURN - 3:35 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder