FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR FEBRUARY 24, 1998.
(Vol. xxvii, No. 21)

I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:02 p.m. (Conference Room, Booth Library)

Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused - J. Tidwell. Guests: M. Beasley, J. Nilsen, J. Niziolkiewicz, K. Norris, K. Orlet, J. Resedean, S. Rich, S. Roberts, C. Schiavone, K. Takaser, M. Tobin, T. Topa.

II. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 17, 1998

A motion (Walker/Eberly) to approve the minutes of February 17, 1998. Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Zahlan. Abstain - Gholson, Simpson, Walker.

III. COMMUNICATIONS

A. Copy of the Faculty Senate letter to the parents of Andrea Will.

B. Letter to J. Nilsen from G. Richard regarding the dissatisfaction of members of the Faculty Senate with the poster distributed on campus by the Marketing Committee - "The Student Is..."

C. Minutes - Intercollegiate Athletic Board - 2/5/98

D. Revised Bylaws - Intercollegiate Athletic Board - 2/98

E. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - 2/12/98

F. E-mail from R. Bates noting that the subcommittee report on Constitutional Planning approved by the Council of Chairs would be sent directly to President Jorns and would not be sent to the Faculty Senate.

G. Minutes - Council on Teacher Education - 2/10/98

H. Minutes - College of Sciences Curriculum Committee-2/5/98

I. Memo from J. Allison and L. Walker proposing questions regarding fund raising for Eastern Illinois University - 2/23/98

J. Letter from C. Eberly to the Editor, Daily Eastern News, regarding the origination of the "The Student Is..." document - 2/22/98

IV.OLD BUSINESS

A. Presentation by M. Beasley, K. Orlet and C. Schiavona on the work of the Sweatshop Action Coalition. The coalition was formed on Eastern's campus in October 1997 and there are presently 40 members. The goal of the group is to enact a code of conduct against the use of sweatshop labor for the production of clothing sold and utilized on Eastern's campus. The code would require the manufacturers to conduct an audit with all subcontractors to ensure that sweatshop labor is not being utilized in any of the production phases of the clothing. The audits would be done independently of the university with the cost for the audit not determined at this time. The coalition anticipated that the university would have to bear some of the cost of the audit but the source of the money for the audit was not identified. At this time the coalition sees the resolution as a philosophical position rather than a legal binding document. The coalition is doing educational programs on campus and is also requesting the support of the Student Senate, the Faculty Senate and the Staff Senate for their resolution.

S. Rich reported that he is the contact person on campus for the licensing program of the university. Eastern has a contractual agreement with Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) which monitors the retail products sold which bear the marks of Eastern Illinois University. Eastern has been involved in the program since 1995. CLC works with 150 universities. At the present time the CLC is addressing the issue of sweatshops and is developing a legally binding document that will be enforced as best that it can. The CLC will be responsible for the enforcement of the policy. The money received through the licensing program funds scholarships on campus.

MOTION (Allison/Foster) that the Faculty Senate support the resolution of the Sweatshop Action Coalition.

Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Simpson, Walker, Zahlan. Abstain - Richard, Schmidt

B. Information regarding Development - J. Nilsen distributed a copy of a letter that President Jorns sent to President's Council, Deans, Department Chairs and Directors on 2/16/98 which announced the formation of a development group to "facilitate, improve, and coordinate the fund-raising initiatives here at Eastern Illinois University." Members of the group are: President Jorns, Phoebe Church, Kim Harris, Bobbie Hilke, Jill Nilsen, Steve Rich and John Smith. The group will develop and coordinate all annual campaigns, explore the possibility of a mini capital campaign and coordinate major gifts and cultivate major donors. The development group has made no decisions on a capital campaign and is looking at the feasibility of doing this as well as looking at staffing and the database available in the development office. L. Walker and J. Allison provided J. Nilsen with a copy of the questions they had after reading the consultant's report. J. Nilsen was not prepared to address the questions. J. Allison requested a clarification of how much information can be discussed because of the statement on the document noting "confidential". J. Nilsen will get a clarification from L. Huson.

C. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee & Liaison Coordinator - no report

2. Elections - 8 petitions have been received for the available positions. Deadline for petitions is February 27, 1998.

3. Faculty-Student Relations Committee - no report

4. Faculty-Staff Relations Committee - Next meeting is March 11

5. Executive Committee

a. J. Schmidt reported that the Executive Committee of the CUPB proposed a clarification in the bylaws. The vice presidential area subcommittees have not met but will have meetings in the future to discuss budget requests. The reports of the committees were accepted. The issue for which there was considerable debate was the charge back system presently utilized by the Physical Plant. The Council of Chairs has requested that the President look at the impact of charge backs on on academic departmental budgets. University departments can bid outside the university by the prevailing wage must be paid. President Jorns will put together a group to discuss the issue of renovation/remodeling charge back policies with a progress report to be made at the March CUPB meeting and a more thorough report at the April CUPB meeting. Members of Faculty Senate felt additional discussion needed to occur at a later time and that the charge back system utilized throughout the university should be reviewed.

b. Report from the Executive Committee on the Selection Process for the Presidential Search Committee Members. Three options were presented to members of the Senate. No action was taken on the report. G. Richard has not been informed by the BOT of the process that will be utilized to make the final selection of three faculty members to serve on the committee. The report of the Executive Committee is a preliminary step in the event that the BOT requests names in the near future.

6. Faculty Senate "Committee on Committees"--The proposed bylaws of the International Programs Advisory Committee, the approved bylaws for the Advisory Committee for University Studies and the Sub-Committee on Freshmen and Students in Transition operating procedures were distributed to the Senate. The Committee on Committees will review the materials and report to the Senate on 3/3/98.

7. Other Committees

a.Parking Committee - H. Nordin reported that there will be 250 additional spaces. One hundred new spaces will be added this summer at a cost of $350,000. The lot at Hayes and 9th street will add 68 spaces which will be shared by students and staff. The lot east of Buzzard on 9th street will be changed to an all staff. The lot north of Buzzard will add 21 staff spaces. In the changes above students will gain 13 spaces. An additional 150 spaces will be added west of Fourth Street and north of the Methodist Church. The date for completion of this has not been determined. This will be for students. $220,000 will be spent on upgrading existing lots. The library lot is being monitored to determine the hours for the reserved parking.

b. Library Advisory Committee - L. Walker reported that the collection and development policy is being revised. Faculty have reported the slowness of computer access and printing online. The library is going to an electronic database. The location of the library during the renovation of that facility has not been determined.

c. Search Committee - Provost/VPAA Search--R. Gholson reported that the interviews have been completed. Evaluations of the candidates are due by Friday. The Committee will meet and review the evaluations and will send recommendations to President Jorns. J. Nilsen thanked R. Gholson for his work on the committee.

B. Other Old Business

1. C. Eberly letter to the Eastern News - C. Eberly discussed his position on "The Student Is.." poster distributed on campus recently. He brought "The Student Is..." to campus in 1987. Some of the opposition to the poster was the manner in which it was distributed and with no explanation about how the poster has been or should be utilized. There was also opposition to some of the statements on the poster.

V. NEW BUSINESS

A. Agenda Items

1. State of the University Address- March 9, 1998 - 4:00 p.m. Buzzard Auditorium

2. Retirement Reception - Tuesday, April 21, 1998, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.,1895 Room

VI. ADJOURN (Walker) at 4:02 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder

REMINDER THAT PETITIONS FOR CAMPUS COUNCILS/COMMITTEES ARE DUE FEBRUARY 27, 1998.