FACULTY SENATE MINUTES FOR JANUARY 27, 1998
(Vol. xxvii, No. 17)

I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:04 p.m.

Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused - G. Lockart. Guests - S. Bordenkirchner, R. McDuffie, J. McGrath, J. Sedgwick

II. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF JANUARY 20, 1998.

A motion (Walker/Gholson) to approve the minutes of January 20, 1998.

Additions/Corrections - IV. A - L. Walker requested that the following statement be added to the questions: *Why are the evaluators required to sign their evaluations? IV.B.1. - L. Walker is calling the senior Faculty Senate appointee of the committee to remind them to send operating procedures/bylaws. L. Walker is not calling the chairs of the committees. Request by L. Walker to add #3 to V.B. to clarify III.I - The University lacked adequate documentation to support its allocation of expenditures among State-appropriated funds, revenue bond funds and local funds. Since activities of the revenue bond fund entities are intended to be self-sufficient, subsidies may have occurred without legislative approval. This finding has been repeated since 1991.

Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan.

III. COMMUNICATIONS

A. Minutes - Council on Teacher Education - 1/13/98

B. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - 12/2/97

C. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - 1/15/98

D. Faculty Senate Report to the Board of Trustees Meeting - 1/26/98

E. Memo to R. Fraker regarding Faculty Senate Presentation - 1/20/98

F. Minutes - Staff Senate - 1/21/98

G. Job Description - Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences-Assistant to the Dean for Academic Computing

IV. OLD BUSINESS

A. Update from Director of Athletics, Dr. Rich McDuffie. Summary of comments:

1. Eastern is in good shape in athletics but not in very good shape.

2. This is the second year of Eastern's affiliation with the Ohio Valley Conference which is a mid-level Division I conference.

3. Eastern sponsors 21 sports which is the most of any school in the conference. There are 442 student-athletes involved in the program and a total of 600 participants when Pink Panthers, cheerleaders and the band are included.

4.The goal of athletics is to have a successful program which has integrity and is committed to the welfare of the student-athletes.

5. An assessment has been done of the facilities and about 2 million dollars are needed to upgrade and enhance the existing facilities. This will be done through private fundraising and not with appropriated or student fee monies.

6. The graduation rate for all student-athletes is about 63% and the rate for student-athletes who have finished eligibility and have graduated is about 88%

7. Eastern continues to address gender equity with the addition of soccer and golf. The work with the OCR is incomplete at this time and hopefully it will be completed in the near future. The process started in 1994.

8. The athletic department will be aggressive in attacking the deficiencies within the program. The desire is to have a program that is safe, competitive and fair for all student-athletes.

B. Update on the Legislative Liaison

G. Richard read an e-mail sent to her by J. Nilsen regarding the legislative activities. J. Nilsen was out of town. The legislative session opened on January 14, 1998, with both chambers in session on 1/21/98 & 1/22/98. J. Nilsen will be in Springfield on 1/22/98 to meet with Ross Hodel, IBHE Director of Governmental Affairs. Jill's office handles all constituent requests that are sent to campus from legislators. Chris Merrifield will review proposed legislation for possible impact on higher education and on Eastern. She will continue this task through June and then will leave the university. The university administrators will spend time in the Capitol as issues arise. Jill's schedule does not allow her to be in Springfield on a daily basis. There will be an Eastern Day at the Capitol in the spring.

Questions concerning legislative matters can be directed to J. Nilsen in her office.

A request was made to have J. Nilsen come to Faculty Senate to answer questions about the lobbyist position as well as the fundraising position. These positions are extremely important to the university and require more than parttime staff to get the job done.

C. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee & Liaison Coordinator - no report

2. Elections Committee - J. Tidwell should have the full slate of available open positions by 2/3/98. J. Tidwell requested a draw for the available positions on the Sanction & Termination Committee. Education and Professional Studies and Arts & Humanities will need replacements on the committee.

3. Faculty-Student Relations Committee - Kim Harris, Student Body President will give a state of the university address at the 1/28/98 meeting. Student Senate meetings will be held at different locations on and off campus.

4. Faculty-Staff Relations Committee - It was noted that Staff Senate addressed a concern for the mail service on campus. The procedures being used at the present time delays mail by one day and has increased the amount of time spent by staff in each building on mail duties. The Staff Senate will collect data to demonstrate why the present delivery service is not meeting the needs of the campus. Concerns about the mail delivery service should be addressed to M. Finley. The next meeting of Staff Senate is 2/11/98 at 1:15 p.m.

5. Committee on Committees - meeting after the 1/27/98 Faculty Senate meeting.

6. Executive Committee--BOT Meeting Summary:

President Jorns reported that a Development Team has been formed. Members of the Team are: J. Nilsen, S. Rich, J. Smith, B. Hilke, P. Church, K. Harris and B. Hatfield. These individuals will develop a working plan for the future. The responsibility of each of the following is as follows: Annual campaigns - J. Smith, S. Rich, and K. Harris, Major gifts - B. Hilke & P. Church Capital projects - J. Nilsen, P. Church & B. Hilke. The BOT felt this was a critical area and that the university needed to move forward. Reports will be provided to the BOT so they can monitor the progress.

T. Weidner reported that a grant had been received that will assist with minority students but it is not designated just for minority students. The university is also applying for the McNair Grant. An update was given on Buzzard Hall and the merger of programs into Biological Sciences.

M. Olson reported that air conditioning will be installed in Lincoln-Douglas Halls this summer. M. Olson gave a summary of the number of parking spaces added from 1994 - 1998. Faculty Senate members asked who makes the decision about where to build new lots. The Parking Committee only determines the number of spaces to be added and the cost. This committee does not determine the location of the lots. Questions were raised about the extension of the parking lot at Buzzard.

The Booth Library project is moving forward. An architect will be named soon and detailed planning will begin.

The dedication of Buzzard Hall will be held the night before the April BOT meeting.

L. Hencken reported that enrollment was up 40 - 50 students but was withing the projections. Fall applications are similar to last year. The food consultant was on campus once and will beback in February to look at space, hours, etc. Changes have been made in the meal serving times in Carmen and Thomas-Andrews. Carmen will serve meals on Sunday night. Thomas-Andrews will remain open until 9:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday.

The AIDS memorial quilt is on campus.

Off campus numbers are up because of better marketing and awareness of course offerings.

7. Other Committee Reports--R. Gholson reported that candidates for the VPAA will be coming to campus for interviews beginning February 1, 1998. Six candidates will be brought to campus for interviews. R. Gholson indicated that no fewer than three candidates were to be interviewed on campus and there was no upper limit. The first candidate will interview February 1, 2 & 3. The second candidate February 4, 5 & 6. The third candidate February 8, 9 & 10. The fourth candidate February 15, 16 & 17. The fifth candidate February 18, 19, 20 and the sixth candidate on February 22, 23 & 24.

D. Other Old Business

The vote on the motion from 1/20/98 that Faculty Senate hold a reception for faculty retirees was taken.

Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Marlow, Nordin, Schmidt, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan. No - Simpson. Abstain - Richard.

V. NEW BUSINESS

A. Agenda Items

1. Update on Illinois Initiatives & University Studies - C. Evans & R. Pearson - 2/10/98

2. Plan for Development & Fundraising - unspecified

3. Review of Constitutional Planning Process - unspecified

4. Other Agenda Items

B. Other New Business

A MOTION (Allison/Nordin) that the Faculty Senate recommend that positions for one student and one faculty member be added on the Internal Auditor Search Committee. The Student Senate will appoint a student and the Faculty Senate will appoint a faculty member.

Discussion

*The issue of whether this position fell within the IGP for administrative search committees was raised.

*Adding members to the committee increased collegiality and shared governance. Broad representation for this position seems wise.

Yes-Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Marlow, Nordin, Schmidt, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan. Abstain - Gholson, Richard, Simpson

VI.ADJOURN - 4:15 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully Submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder