FACULTY SENATE MINUTES FOR NOVEMBER 4, 1997
(Vol. xxvii, No. 10)

I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:03 P.M.

Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R.Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, A. Zahlan. Absent-L. Walker. Guests: K. Cox, M. Giles, J. Kmitch, K. Wert

II. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF OCTOBER 28, 1997.

A motion (Foster/Allison) to approve the minutes of October 28, 1997.

Corrections - IV.C.5 - Abstain - Zahlan not Walker. IV.F. should be IV.E.6. "The consolidation of zoology and botany is not a concern with the tenured faculty of those departments. The degree in each area remains intact." The issue was not previously discussed and therefore should not be listed under Old Business. This is on the 11/4/97 Agenda under New Business

Yes-Allison, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Zahlan.

III. COMMUNICATIONS

A. Minutes - Library Advisory Board - 10/15/97

B. Eastern's Progress Toward the Year 2000

C. Note of thanks from G. Richard to P. Fewell for tour of Buzzard Hall

D. Minutes - College of Sciences Curriculum Committee Minutes - 10/23/97

E. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - 10/7/97

F. Minutes - College of Education and Professional Studies Curriculum Co.10/27/97

G. Minutes - Council on Teacher Education - 10/28/97

H. Memo from Botany faculty members re: Faculty Senate Minutes-10/28/97

IV. OLD BUSINESS

A. NCA recommendation--Create a process that reviews campus committees, defines their roles and responsibilities, and delineates representation and membership criteria. Discussion was as follows:

1. This is an important issue to discuss.

2. There is a proliferation of taskforces appointed by administrators that are not attached to any particular existing committee nor do they report to an existing committee. Existing committees should be utilized to do what some of the taskforces are doing.

3. Faculty Senate makes appointments to some committees and the committees never meet.

4. Is there a procedure in place to keep individuals from forming taskforces rather than utilizing existing committees.

5. Should there be a sunset clause that would allow committees to be disbanded when they do not meet?

6. The philosophy on this campus seems to be that with a large number of committees there are more opportunities for faculty to get involved.

7. The Faculty Senate Constitution provides for the following standing committees: Council on Academic Affairs, Council on Graduate Studies, Council on Teacher Education, and Council on Faculty Research. The UPI contract provides for the following standing committees: Program Elimination and Review, University Personnel Committee, and Sanctions and Termination. Faculty Senate Bylaws provide for the following standing committees: Nominations, Elections, Student-Faculty Relations and Faculty-Staff Relations

8. Some campuses have very large Senates which include faculty, staff and students and most issues on campus funnel through that group.

9. When committees get too large it is difficult to function effectively.

10. Is there a mechanism in place on campus that determines when a committee should be formed?

11. The Senate has a basic understanding of the functions of the committees to which appointments are made but there are many other committees on campus that function without bylaws and operating procedures.

12. The concern of the Senate is not with college or departmental committees but campuswide committees.

13. Committees that are elected and/or appointed by the Faculty Senate should provide accountability to the Senate through year end reports.

14. A member of the Faculty Senate Nominations Committee serves as a liaison between the Faculty Senate and the Faculty Committees and Boards to which the Faculty Senate appoints members. Lankford Walker is the liaison.

MOTION (Allison/Eberly) that the Senate membership charge the current members of the Faculty Senate Elections and Nominations Committees to work together to formulate as complete a list as possible of all committees on campus and determine the relationships between these committees and to recommend policies for the Senate to consider.

Yes -Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Zahlan. No - Gholson. Abstain- Richard. (12-1-1)

The following individuals will be identifying the committees on campus: G. Foster, N. Furumo, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan.

The committee will provide an update at each Faculty Senate meeting. Members of the committee would appreciate being notified of existing committees that are functioning on campus and are not those for which the Faculty Senate makes appointments. This would not include college or department committees.

B. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee & Liaison Coordinator--Anne Zahlan will check on the appointments to the Radio/TV Board

2. Elections Committee-- No report

3. Faculty-Senate Relations Committee--John Simpson attended the Student Senate meeting.

4. Faculty-Staff Relations Committee--No report

5. Executive Committee

a. G. Richard reported that she had checked on the $75.00 charge to departments for computers. The issue was still unclear. J. Allison will get a clarification on the concern that he raised at a previous meeting.

b. Constitution/Bylaws Review - The Executive Committee reviewed the Constitution/Bylaws and recommended the following change in the Constitution (new language in bold):

**Article IX: Faculty Senate Meetings

Section 1: The Faculty Senate shall meet at least twice monthly at 2:00 p.m. Tuesday when the University is in session during the fall and spring semesters. The Faculty Senate shall meet at least once during the eight-week summer session, with the date(s) and time of the summer meetings determined by the Faculty Senate as a whole.

Faculty Senate will vote on the revision of the Constitution at the 11/11/97 meeting.

6. R. Gholson reported that the search committee for the VPAA has finished the initial review of the candidates and the committee will meet on 11/5/97 to narrow the pool for the first time.

V. NEW BUSINESS

A. Jim Hanna will attend the November 18, 1997, Faculty Senate meeting to givean update on the fundraising programs.

B. On November 18, 1997, at 3:30 p.m. the UPI will sponsor a program in Phipps Lecture Hall on state funding.

C. Referendum on referendum--MOTION (Allison/Nordin) to hold a faculty referendum to determine if the faculty would like the Senate to hold a referendum concerning the faculty's degree of confidence or lack of confidence in Constitutional Planning.

Discussion on the motion:

1. Faculty Senate might think about an alternate way to get input from faculty on whether to have a referendum on Constitutional Planning rather than doing it by a referendum vote.

2. Holding a referendum on a referendum is awkward.

3. Does the Elections Committee have another process of getting faculty input rather than through a referendum?

MOTION(LOCKART/ZAHLAN) TO TABLE THE MOTION. Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Schmidt, Tidwell, Zahlan. Abstain - Richard, Simpson

D. Botany/Zoology Consolidation Issue

1. The letter that G. Richard received was signed by those retiring this year and those in a parttime position.

2. G. Richard reported that this was part of the Dean's strategic plan so faculty were aware this could occur.

3. The position of Chair for Biological Sciences was advertised in the University Newsletter on 10/31/97.

4. The issue is not consolidation because this is a trend across the country but rather the concern as to whether the degrees in botany and zoology will remain intact.

5. There were promises made in writing indicating that the degrees would remain intact and now those promises have been changed.

6. Jobs frequently require a degree in botany. If a student has a degree in biological science they would not be eligible for the job.

7. There was a question as to whether those with concerns have gone to the college curriculum committee.

8. Will this reorganization result in a loss of positions?

9. Is consolidation a broader issue that is affecting other departments/colleges on campus?

10. Are deans consulting with faculty and department chairs when consolidation and position elimination is being considered?

E. Agenda Items

1. Invite Will Hine and Kaye Woodward to a Senate Meeting

2. Invite Rich McDuffie, Athletic Director, to Faculty Senate

REMINDER THAT FACULTY ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE IN COMMENCEMENT.

VI. ADJOURN AT 3:55 p.m. (Furumo)

Respectfully submitted: Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder