FACULTY ARE REQUESTED TO FORWARD DISCUSSION ITEMS TO GAIL RICHARD BY SEPTEMBER 26, 1997, SO THAT A FALL FORUM CAN BE PLANNED FOR OCTOBER.

FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR SEPTEMBER 17, 1997
(Vol. xxvii, No. 4)

I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:01 P.M.

Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Guests: B. Anderson, P. Andrews, J. Bates, D. Jorns, B. Jorstad, D. Poole, D. Stepansky, K. Vana, T. Weidner

II.APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 9, 1997.

A motion (Irwin/Foster) to approve the minutes of September 9, 1997.

Correction/Addition: IV.A.3 - change each meeting to most meetings.

IV.A.n - change able to attend to unable to attend

Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Zahlan. Abstain - Gholson

III.COMMUNICATIONS

A. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - 9/4/97

B. E-Mail from R. Wayland regarding the plans to have open campus interviews for the position of Assit. Vice President for Business Affairs-9/12/97

C. E-Mail from T. Weidner regarding the housing of ESL students. Schedules for the ESL students are now congruent with the university schedule. 9/9/97

D. Agenda - CUPB Meeting - 9/19/97

E. Telephone Contact - J. Gorrell regarding a vacancy on CUPB from COEPS (Referred to J. Tidwell)

F. E-Mail from B. Weber notifying the Faculty Senate of a UPI meeting on 9/17/97 in Phipps Lecture Hall at 4:00 p.m. to update faculty on salary/contract negotiations - 9/10/97

G. E-Mail messages from T. Mills and B. Whittenberg regarding the Pedestrian Mall on Garfield. (Opposition based on cost, loss of parking spaces, and suggestion that Garfield is "an accident waiting to happen".)

H. E-Mail messages from R. Beebe, D. Sundheim, B. Jorstad, D. Radavich, P. Andrews regarding the Technology report. (Concerns expressed were summarized by G. Richard and a document distributed to Faculty Senate)

I. Letter from the Mathematics Department with signatures of 13 members of the department expressing the deficiencies in the Technology plan. 9/15/97

J. Letter from J. Nilsen regarding R. Gholson's appointment to the Search Committee for Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. 9/12/97

K. E-Mail from M. Olsen clarifying the funding of the Assit. VPBA and that the position was in the 1997 and 1998 PC.9/16/97

L. Minutes - Council of Teacher Education - 9/9/97

M. J. Allison reported a request from R. Wandling regarding the change in the time that mail is delivered and the additional day required for mail to be delivered. (G. Richard will take the concern to the Executive Committee Meeting on 9/29/97)

N. A. Zahlan reported on a request by M. Loudon requesting information about the extent of services being provided to international faculty for completing paperwork for immigration. (G. Richard will take the concern to the Executive Committee Meeting on 9/29/97)

O. Request by J. Allison to review the IGP-Employment & Recruitment Procedures for Administrative Positions

IV.OLD BUSINESS

A. Instructional Technology Support Report - G. Richard distributed a summary of the comments received on technology.

Additional Discussion

*Faculty input and oversight is critical.

*There are no checks and balances in place with the new plan.

*This is a major issue with faculty.

*This appears to be the only area on campus where there is no oversight.

*There needs to be a body on campus that discusses the technology policy of the university.

*This is an issue where the spirit of negotiations needs to be used.

*Need to apply win-win negotiations to this issue.

*Is there an understanding by the administration of the concerns of the faculty and a willingness to modify the plan?

MOTION (Walker/Allison) that the Faculty Senate recommend that the proposal be returned to the Provost for further review to increase faculty involvement in instructional technology policy and services.

After additional discussion, L. Walker called for the question. R. Gholson objected to limiting debate. Vote on Call for the Question- Yes - Allison, Eberly, Irwin, Marlow, Nordin, Schmidt, Simpson, Walker, Zahlan. No-Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Lockart. Abstain - Richard, Tidwell. (9-4-2)

Vote on the motion - Yes - Allison, Eberly, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Schmidt, Simpson, Walker, Zahlan. No - Foster*, Nordin, Tidwell. *Prefer faculty articulate scope and range of involvement. Abstain - Gholson, Richard. (Vote - 9-3-2)

MOTION (Allison/Walker) that the first four concerns in bold summarized by the Faculty Senate Chair G. Richard be forwarded to the VPAA for consideration.

Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan.

The four concerns are as follows:

*Concern regarding faculty input and oversight

*Concern regarding one support person per college

*Concern regarding amount of funding for colleges

*Need for campus-wide committee/coordination

MOTION (Allison/Gholson) to reorder the agenda to do C. Committee Reports before B. Constitution - Article III. Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan.

(Faculty Constitution - Article III interpretation will be discussed at the September 23, 1997, Faculty Senate Meeting.)

B. Committee Reports

1. Nominations - A. Zahlan reported the following updates:

Affirmative Action Advisory Board - Jane Lasky will replace Melanie Rawlins and Caridad Brito will continue as an alternate.

Campus Recreation Board - Need a replacement for K. Summers

Judicial Board - Sandy Schroeder is from Student Teaching not Special Education.

Parking Advisory Board - Requirement is for two Faculty Senate Reps. so Hal Nordin will be a full member and Lankford Walker has volunteered to be the second representative.

University Union Advisory Board - Cheryl Noll will replace Bob Pryor.

The Nominations Committee will meet on September 23. The Council For University Research needs a representative from Physical Science. A completed petition must be submitted to Anne Zahlan by noon on September 22, 1997.

2. Elections - no report

3. Student-Faculty Relations - J. Simpson reported that D. Stepansky will work on the University Development and Recycling Committee and questions or ideas should be directed to him

4. Faculty-Staff Relations - J. Allison reported that Staff Senate will appoint a liaison to the Faculty Senate. The Staff Senate is interested in working with Faculty Senate on parking and the pedestrain mall issue.

C. Other - What has happened with the administrative evaluation instrument? Has the committee met?

V.NEW BUSINESS

A. Faculty Forum Topics

B. Emeritus Faculty - Presidents

C. Internal Governing Policy #12 - Employment and Recruitment Procedures for Administrative Positions

V1.ADJOURN - 3:45 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder

Faculty are requested to forward discussion items to Gail Richard by September 26, 1997, so that a Fall Forum can be planned.

 

Reminder of the need for petitions to be submitted by faculty in Physical Science for a representative on the Council for University Research. Submit by noon on September 22, 1997, to Anne Zahlan.