FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR SEPTEMBER 2, 1997
(Vol. XXVII, No. 2)
I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:02 p.m.
Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused: N. Marlow. Guests: B. Anderson, J. Nilsen, D. Poole
II.APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF AUGUST 26, 1997.
A motion (Walker/Foster) to approve the minutes of August 26,
Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan. Abstain - Simpson
A. Memo - G. Hanebrink regarding the Environmental Health & Safety Committee schedule
B. Minutes - College of Education and Professional Studies Curriculum Committee - June 25, 1997
C. Report - Governmental Relations - August 29, 1997
D .Letter from Karina Elmoznino reporting on the positive experience she had in the ESL program, July 29, 1997.
E. E-Mail from J. Gorrell regarding the Executive Committee Meeting dates for the fall semester (Sept. 8, Sept. 29, Oct. 13, Oct. 27, Nov. 10, Dec. 8)
F. E-Mail from J. Allison regarding search committees
G. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - May 6, 1997
H. Meeting Agenda - Council on Academic Affairs - Aug. 28, 1997
I. Telephone call from E. Harris to N. Furumo regarding the changes in academic computing
J. Inquiry by J. Allison as to whether there is a University Web Page Committee
K. Inquiry by J. Allison as to the BOT/Queens, New York program discussion
L. Inquiry by L. Walker as to whether Faculty Senate minutes are being sent to the BOT in a timely fashion.
A. Committee Assignments
Nominations/Appointments -*Anne Zahlan, Lankford Walker, Nancy Marlow. Lankford Walker will serve as the liaison between the Faculty Senate andthe Faculty Committees and Boards to which the Senate appoints members.
Elections - *James Tidwell, Gary Foster, Norbert Furumo, Gail Lockart, Hal Nordin
Faculty-Staff Relations - *Ron Gholson, John Allison, Joan Schmidt
Faculty-Student Relations-*Bonnie Irwin, Chuck Eberly, John Simpson
*Denotes chair of the committee
B. Committee Reports
1. Nominations Committee & Liaison Coordinator--A Petition for Appointment to the Council for Faculty Research is attached to the minutes. Physical Science is in need of a replacement for a one-year sabbatical. List of appointments to university boards and councils
2. Elections - By faculty contract the dean of the college will appoint a replacement for the UPC when vacancies occur. An appointment must be made in the Chemistry, Physics, Math area.
3. Student-Faculty Relations Committee - no report
4. Faculty-Staff Relations Committee - no report
5. Executive Committee Report
a. Gail Richard reported that the ESL program was discussed. The full report is on file at the Reference Desk in Booth Library. The goal for this year is to meet all standards by the end of the year. No new students were admitted to the program this year. A question was asked as towhether the housing issue was addressed.
b. There is a Task Force to review graduate education. Question - Will Faculty Senate have a representative on this task force?
c. IBHE approved the change from BOG to BOT, reorganization of the College of Business to 3 schools rather than departments, and approved the name change from University College to University Studies.
d. Hines Report - BOG (BOT) Program/New York. The date on the Hines report was June 24, 1997, and the memo from J. Allison questioning aspects of the program was dated July 14, 1997. G. Richard indicated that other faculty had raised concerns about the program prior to July so W. Hine had prepared a report for T. Weidner. The Hines report was not a direct response to J. Allison's questions. G. Richard said Eastern's affiliation with this consortium has been terminated. L. Walker and J. Allison questioned how a program such as this could be put into place with no input from the campus committees which generally review and respond to initiatives such as this. J. Allison requested that G. Richard forward to President Jorns that programs such as this should go through proper channels for input. A. Zahlan asked if the processing fee for the I-20 form had been refunded to the students and Senate was assured that it had been.
6. Achievement and Contribution Committee - G. Lockart reported that the committee met on August 29, 1997. Members of the committee are *K. McGilliard, O. Abella, J. Glazebrook, G. Lockart, T. Mason, M. Wilkins, and K. Whisler. Nominations to the committee are due by Sept. 15. A list of recipients are forwarded to the President on Oct. 25 and the President notifies the recipients of the award on November 19.
C. Faculty Senate Appointment to the Search Committee for VPAA--Ron Gholson and Joan Schmidt were elected by the Senate. Both names will be sent to the Chair of the Committee, J. Nilsen. One representative will be selected for the committee. J. Nilsen and C. Nichols will determine the final make-up of the committee.
1. L. Walker indicated that he was uncomfortable with the assistant to the President being the chair of the Search Committee for the VPAA. This is not intended to reflect on J. Nilsen personally but he felt the chair should be someone from Academic Affairs. J. Allison indicated that the perception of some faculty is that this looks bad. G. Richard felt the chair served as a facilitator and probably had less influence on who was selected for the position. Members of the committee have the greatest amount of say as to the candidates for the position. R. Gholson felt that it was important to have an administrator chair a committee for an administrative position. He did not have a problem with the selection of J. Nilsen as chair. G. Richard indicated that J. Nilsen is tenured and does teach each semester.
2. J. Allison asked about the search committee for the Assistant Vice President for Business Affairs. G. Richard indicated that she had not received a response yet from Cynthia Nichols about the composition of the committee. Questions were asked about Faculty Senate involvement and about the salary for the position. It was noted that R. Wayland is chair of the committee.
3. J. Allison reiterated his concern that Faculty Senate is not getting the information needed with new positions and with new academic programs.
4. There was a question about the position of Graduate Dean. Will Faculty Senate have a representative on this committee
5. A motion (Gholson/Allison) to request a naming committee be appointed for renaming the BOG Room in the Booth Library. Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Nordin, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan. Abstain - Richard
A. Response to Instructional Technology Support Report - Sept. 16, 1997
Faculty are asked to forward concerns about the recommendations to any member of the Faculty Senate. There are two copies of the recommendations available at the Reference Desk in Booth Library.
The larger report that substantiates the recommendations has not been made available. Members of Senate questioned if the larger report was needed before discussing the report on file at the Reference Desk. The report on file in the library is a response to Faculty Senate's questions. The larger document being generated will provide supporting data for the recommendations. Senate felt that it was necessary to proceed with the discussion since some of the recommendations will be implemented this year. A delay of the implementation of some of the recommendations may disadvantage the university.
B. University Web Committee - J. Nilsen reported that this committee has been functioning for 2 1/2 years. The committee meets monthly and works with design, layout and linking. Members of the committee are: K. Bridges, B. Gibbs, S. Kuhn, M. Felty, C. Staley, B. Witsman, and D. Henard. J. Allison asked if the committee would be adverse to having a teaching faculty member added to the committee. A. Zahlan suggested that the English Language Center web page should be reviewed for changes/corrections.
C. Agenda Items
1. Possibility of sponsoring a Faculty Forum
2. Garfield Walking Mall Funding
3. Emeritus Faculty/Alumni - Removal of Persian Rug
VI. ADJOURN AT 3:50 P.M. (Walker)
Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder