(Vol. xxvii, No. 6)


Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused-R. Gholson, N. Marlow Guests - D. Poole, J. McGrath


A motion (Allison/Foster) to approve the minutes of September 23, 1997.

Corrections:IV.B Motion that the Internal Governing Policies, Article 12, were violated in regard to the Assit. VPBA position; specifically that screening committees for administrative positions at this levelshould have university-wide representation including faculty, administration, civil service staff and students. IV.C. Motion was seconded by Lockart not Zahlan.

Yes-Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Nordin, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell Walker, Zahlan


A. Minutes- Council on Academic Affairs - 9/18/97

B. Minutes- Staff Senate - 9/10/97

C. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - 9/16/97

D. Memo from F. Hohengarten requesting a representative from Faculty Senate for the Enrollment Management Advisory Committee

E. Academic Technology Advisory Committee - membership roster, bylaws, and meeting agenda-9/26/97

F. Memo from D. Jorns regarding interpretation of the instructional support specialist - 9/29/97

G. Announcement in University Newsletter regarding the Provost/VPAA position


A. Faculty Forum Topic Review

MOTION (Allison/Walker)--The Faculty Senate hold a forum regarding constitutional plans to gather information so that we might advise the president concerning the benchmarking process and concerning the desirability or lack thereof of an assessment of constitutional plans thus far before completing this new cycle.

Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Irwin, Lockart, Nordin, Schmidt, Simpson, Walker, Zahlan. No - Furumo. Abstain - Richard, Tidwell (10-1-2)


1. Constituent groups were not brought into the process when peer institutions were selected by the Peer Selection Advisory Group

2. There was no bottom up shared governance role.

3. Department chairs have requested a pause in the process.

4. CUPB did not discuss the new planning process.

5. Concern for punitive action when departments miss deadlines

6. Issues that need to be discussed are benchmarking and assessment

7. The forum will provide cross departmental and cross college issues


Library Issues - Funding of journals, contingency plans for the library renovation project, and the funding formula G. Richard will contact resource people for the forum.

B. Instructional Technology--Materials were distributed to the Senate which included a letter from President Jorns which addresses the funding, qualifications and empowerment of the instructional support specialist, members of ATAC and the jurisdiction and procedures of ATAC as outlined in their bylaws approved 9/27/96.

MOTION (Allison/Lockart) The Faculty Senate recommends that President Jorns and the CUPB earmark additional monies or find other means to fund the instructional support specialist as described in the President's Instructional Technology Plan.

Yes - Allison, Lockart, Walker No - Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Nordin, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell Abstain - Richard, Zahlan (3-8-2)

Several senate members felt President Jorn's letter of 9/29/97 addressed the funding issue.

T. Weidner will call a meeting of interested faculty to clarify in what kinds of decisions they want involvement. Interested faculty should e-mail T.Weidner.

C. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee & Liaison Coordinator - A. Zahlan reported that there is still a need for a representative from Physical Science on the Council on Faculty Research. Deadline Oct. 7 at noon. Alternates are needed for the Apportionment Board, Campus Recreation, University Union Advisory Board and the IBHE Faculty Advisory Committee

2. Elections Committee - No report

3. Faculty-Student Relations Committee--J. Allison reported that the Ad Hoc Tuition and Fees Committee will meet at 5:00 p.m. on 9/30/97.

4. Faculty - Staff Relations Committee - No report

5. Executive Committee Report--The Executive Committee met on 9/29/97.

a. Information on Instructional Technology was discussed and the information distributed to Faculty Senate members.

b. The procedure for changing Internal Governing Policies was discussed. President Jorns indicated that the President's Council meets weekly and often IGP need to be changed quickly to accommodate the administrative process. Many policies would not be of interest to faculty. IGP are operating procedures to facilitate the administrative process. Any

faculty member can recommend changes to the IGP. The suggested change and the rationale for the change should be sent to the individual responsible for monitoring the policy. The President's Council will review the change and make a decision. Faculty Senate receives the President's Council minutes. All changes appear in the minutes.

c. The Executive Committee requested that IGP #l2 be reviewed and clarified. The question is at what administrative level faculty should be involved in the search process. And, at what point does it become a campus issue.

D. Strategic Positioning Document distributed at the 9/23/97 Faculty Senate meeting. G. Richard requested that Faculty Senate members e-mail her with specific changes to the document so that these changes can be discussed at the 10/7/97 Faculty Senate Meeting.


A. Agenda Items

1. Strategic Positioning Document

2. Election of a Faculty Senate Representative to the Enrollment Management Advisory Committee.

VI.ADJOURN AT 3:40 P.M. (Furumo)

Respectfully submitted:

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder

REMINDER: Nominations for Council on Faculty Research due Oct. 6 by noon.

Alternates needed for Apportionment Board, Campus Recreation Board, University Union Advisory Board and the IBHE Faculty Advisory Committee. Contact Anne Zahlan, English Dept. or e-mail (cfarz@eiu.edu) by noon on October 13.