FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR SEPTEMBER 9, 1997
(Vol. xxvii, No. 3)

I. CALL TO ORDER BY GAIL RICHARD AT 2:03 P.M.

Present: J. Allison, C. Eberly, G. Foster, N. Furumo, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, H. Nordin, G. Richard, J. Schmidt, J. Simpson, J. Tidwell, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused: R. Gholson. Guests: B. Anderson, D. Jorns, B. Jorstad, J. Nilsen, D. Poole, G. Robinson, R. Rundle.

II.APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF SEPTEMBER 2, 1997.

A motion (Furumo, Lockart) to approve the minutes of September 2, 1997.

Correction/Addition - V.New Business,A. Change adverse to averse. J. Allison requestedthe following addition: J. Nilsen's response regarding University Webb Committee - She would not be opposedto adding a teaching faculty member to the University Webb Committee but she would take that request to the committee.
Yes - Allison, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Richard, Schmidt, Simpson, Tidwell, Walker, Zahlan.

III.COMMUNICATIONS

A. Memo to J. Nilsen from G. Richard regarding the Faculty Senate representatives for the VPAA Search Committee (R. Gholson & J. Schmidt)

B. Memo to T. Weidner from G. Richard requesting that a Naming Committee be appointed to consider alternative names for the BOG Room.

C. E-Mail response from Ted Weidner regarding the Garfield Pedestrian Mall

D. Minutes - Staff Senate - 8/20/97

E. Minutes - Council on Academic Affairs - 8/28/97

F. Minutes - Council on Graduate Studies - 9/2/97

G. E-Mail from J. Nilsen regarding the rug/tapestry hanging in the MLK Union

H. E-Mail from J. Nilsen regarding the Campus Master Planning Committee convened by the BOT (3 VPs, 3 BOT, and Chairs of Faculty, Staff and Student Senates)

I. Phone response from M. Olsen regarding the Assit. VP for Business Affairs

J. E-Mail response from C. Nichols regarding the Assit. VP for Business Affairs search committee. Chairperson - Bob Wayland, Linda Coffey, K. Furumo, T. Hawkins, T. Hiett, S. Lane, J. Nantz, B. Schnackel,and member of the Civil Rights Office

K. Information from L. Walker regarding Asst. VP for Business Affairs - position announcement from EIU Newsletter and NACUBO Business Officer

L. Notification of the full report on Improved Instructional Technological Support - COPY ON THE WEB AND AT THE REFERENCE DESK IN BOOTH LIBRARY.

M. Notification from D. Henard regarding a report on the Benefits of the Networking Strategy

N. E-Mail from D. Radavich regarding concerns on academic computing restructuring

O. Phone Message from C. Smith regarding Garfield Pedestrian Mall concerns

P. Memo distributed to Faculty Senate from J. Allison and L. Walker regarding the President's Misunderstanding of Faculty Senate's Role

IV.OLD BUSINESS

A. Committee Reports

1. Nominations - A. Zahlan reported that the committee is reviewing appointments that need to be made for vacancies on some committees.

2. Elections - J. Tidwell reported that there is a vacancy on the COTE which will be filled by an appointment from a dean with Faculty Senate approval.

3. Student-Faculty Relations Committee - B. Irwin reported that a member of the Senate committee will attend each meeting of the Student Senate.

4. Faculty-Staff Relations Committee- J. Allison reported that a member of the Senate committee will attend each meeting of the Staff Senate

5.Executive Committee Report (9/8/97)

a. The concern about students in the ELC program not being able to remain in University housing at the end of the semester was to be referred to L. Hencken.

b. Faculty Senate Representation on the IBHE Task Force to review graduate education. The VPAA will appoint individuals to evaluate the administrative structure. Deans will coordinate a review of their individual programs. The CGS will coordinate a more general overview of graduate programs in relation to EIU's mission and goals.

c. Issues involving the removal of the Chenault Kelly rug from the wall in the Union was addressed with information available on Newsbit. The rug was taken down to be cleaned and there is need to repair the rug. Details on this issue are available in the Faculty Senate Communications file from 9/9/97.

d. Concerns about the Assistant VP for Business Affairs were addressed and complete information is available in the Faculty Senate Communications from 9/9/97. The salary range is $70,000 and the position is in the plan for Business Affairs. J. Allison asked if there would be open interviews on campus. The assumption was that there would be but G. Richard will follow up on that concern.

e. Concerns about the BOG Program in NY were addressed with an emphasis placed on the fact that some faculty did not feel that the usual and customary channels of review were utilized which resulted in confusion and some embarrassment to the university. T. Weidner and D. Jorns did not agree with the perceptions of some faculty and said that this was a consortium with prestigious universities and gave faculty an opportunity to teach in New York.

f. The ad for the VPAA has been circulated. The search for the President will begin in March and a member of the BOT will probably chair that committee.

g. Changes in the internal governing policies were made and the documents were circulated with the Faculty Senate communications at the 8/26/97 meeting. The changes were not substantive but were a clean up of language. Individuals with specific concerns about the IGP's can forward their concerns to the individual responsible for monitoring the policy in question. THE INTERNAL GOVERNING POLICIES ARE AVAILABLE ON THE WEB.

h. The large report that provides supporting data for the restructuring in instructional technology should be reviewed rather than just looking at the Executive Summary. THE FULL REPORT IS ON THE WEB AND IS AT THE REFERENCE DESK IN BOOTH LIBRARY.

i. The request for a naming committee for the BOG Room was made to T. Weidner. The first step in the process is to meet with the Chairs of CAA and Faculty Senate. In light of the changes that will be made to the Booth Library it was thought that this request may be premature.

j. The Garfield Mall concern was expressed. An e-mail response was sent to G. Richard from Ted Weidner. Questions asked in Executive Committee: (1) How will the loss of parking places be resolved? (2) Why hasn't the Parking Committee reviewed this request? (3) Why was this forwarded without CUPB approval?

k. A request was made to include a teaching faculty member on the Web Page Committee. J. Tidwell expressed his interest in that committee.

l. The November 10 and 24 Executive Board Meetings have been cancelled because of conflicts and will add November 17.

m. Judy Meyers has called a meeting in Springfield to try to restore the half million dollars lost in EIU's budget. (Some Senate members asked why Eastern's budget was cut to the extent that it was. The reason given to Eastern was that salary increases were too large.)

n. President Jorns will be teaching a class on T, Th from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. so he will be able to attend Senate meetings in the Spring.

o. A union representative will be invited to Senate to discuss the salary settlement. An attempt is being made to enter the data into the computers so that the salary increases will be made this month.

B. Other

1. G. Lockart reported that the Achievement Award Committee is meeting weekly. The deadline for submitting nominations is September 15. This is a negotiated item and is in the Union Contract. Information about the September l5 deadline was sent out to faculty earlier in the year by Jeanne Simpson.

2. Nancy Marlow distributed a copy of her summary of the issues discussed at the September 5, 1997, IBHE Faculty Advisory Committee. N. Marlow indicated that the emphasis was on access to college and the affordability of education. There is a state task force on technology in education. A controversial veto by Governor Edgar was the student trustee voting rights. Issues on remedial education were discussed. Tenure and post-tenure reviews were discussed. The IBHE Faculty Advisory Committee has established the following meeting dates and topics to be discussed: January 23, 1998 - Administrative productivity and capital budgets February 27, 1998 - Tenure and faculty evaluations April 24, 1998 - Future and benefits of higher education May 29, 1998 - Technology (including distance learning) June 26, 1998 - Access and remediation

V.NEW BUSINESS

Agenda Items for 9/16/97

1. Faculty Senate Response to Instructional Technology Support Report

2. Faculty Senate interpretation of Faculty Senate Constitution Art. III.

3. UPI Rep to discuss salary-contractual issues-post tenure review

4. Faculty Senate Forum - When? What to Discuss?

Respectfully submitted,

Joan K. Schmidt, Recorder

 

*****************************************************************************

Faculty are requested to forward discussion items to Gail Richard by September 26, 1997, so that a Fall Forum can be planned for October.
*********************************************************************