FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR APRIL 6, 1999
(Vol. xxviii, No. 25)

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:03 p.m. (Conference Room, Booth Library)

Present: J. Allison, J. Best, J. Coons, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Guests: M. Best, J. Cross, M. McMahon.

II. Approval of the minutes of March 30, 1999

Motion (Foster/Lockart) to approve the minutes of March 30, 1999.

Yes: Allison, Best, Fewell, Foster, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi. Abstentions: Eberly, Furumo, Walker, Zahlan.

III. Communications

A. Minutes of Council on Graduate Studies-March 30, 1999

B. Minutes of COEPS Curriculum Committee-March 22, 1999

C. Memo from Ted Weidner asking selected senators to meet with FPM external evaluation team-March 30, 1999

D. Letter from AAUP/Illinois about its "Professors as Professional" meeting-April 17, 1999

E. Copy of Illinois Academe-March 1999 (publication of AAUP)

F. Copy of January 1999 Proclamation from the Faculty Senate at Texas Woman's University commending Dr. Carol Surles for her exemplary service to the University.

IV. Old Business

A. Committee Reports

1. Executive Committee.

The Committee met with VPAA/Provost Abebe following last week's Senate meeting. The search for the Graduate Dean will not start until fall in light of the concerns of having a search for an important position when faculty are not on campus.

Chair Tidwell also reported that the Illinois Senate passed the Appropriations Bill last week. EIU was cut about $1.71 million; all universities had their budgets cut. According to Jill Nilsen, it is still early in the process. They are working to get these cuts added back into the budget.

Related to that, there is a Lobby Day April 22. This is a joint effort with EIU and UPI. Those interested in participating should contact Sue Kaufman or Jill Nilsen.

Chair Tidwell also responded to Senator Zahlan's earlier request about the sweatshop issue. Steve Rich said that there was a meeting last fall of major universities and garment providers. They developed a plan; however, student groups were upset that they were not involved in this. Seventeen major universities signed off on this plan immediately. Things are still in the talking stage. This is a worldwide issue that involves professional sports, the garment industry, as well as universities. The costs are high, and it is difficult to monitor.

The Executive Committee will meet with the President and Provost sometime next week.

2. The Nominations Committee reported a good response to the call for nominations.

3. Elections Committee. Rori Carson will not be completing her term on CGS. There are no alternates, but the replacement can be a Senate appointment. The committee proposed using this year's alternate.

Motion (Irwin/Gholson) to appoint John Emmett to replace Rori Carson on CGS.

Yes: Allison, Best, Coons, Eberly, Fewell, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan.

Statistics from the recent faculty election are attached to the minutes. During the ensuing discussion of why more faculty do not vote, it was suggested that the availability of absentee balloting needs to be emphasized more.

4. Student-Faculty Relations. There is continuing interest in developing an Honors Code. Senators noted that it was unfortunate that the students did not rewrite their proposals regarding Career Services as had been requested by Faculty Senate. Mary Herrington-Perry did help them rewrite the proposals in a form that a faculty committee could accept.

5. Ad Hoc Drafting Committee. Senators had additional suggestions for the proposed faculty questionnaire. The Committee will present a draft to the Senate for approval.

6. Screening Committee for Director of Financial Aid. They will meet Thursday to finalize the interview schedule and evaluation form. If there are no changes, candidates will be on campus April 23, 26, 29, and 30. Even though there were only eight files, four of the candidates were quite good.

7. Council on University Planning Budget. Senators were reminded to return their ballots to Chair Tidwell by April 13.

B. Spring Forum-Tuesday, April 13, 1999, 2-4 p.m., Buzzard Auditorium. Two other people have requested time. There will be no Senate meeting on April 13.

C. Distinguished Faculty Award. All of the committee members have been contacted. There have been many inquiries, but no nominations yet. The Senate is still seeking permission to use the seal on the plaque.

D. Reception for Retired Faculty-April 20, 1999, 4-6 p.m. Rathskeller Balcony in the MLK Union.

E. Administrative Evaluation. There was a continuation of the earlier discussion of this issue. Some issues that were raised include the following:

Is the form used final? Or can it be changed?

Even though this process is in the IGP, there is concern about the process. One of the concerns was the degree to which faculty involved beyond the unit level. The supervisor and employee determine who gets the forms. Faculty Senate suggested that every direct report should get a form.

Is there some provision in the policy that there is some record that the evaluation had been done?

Staff Senate was very unhappy with the process of signing the evaluations.

How are these evaluation steps similar to or different from the evaluation of faculty. Signing the forms is one issue; another is the ability to choose evaluators. In theory one could choose a single individual to do the evaluation.

IV. New Business

A. FPM Evaluation Team Visit. The Faculty Senate agreed that the Senate members should be the members of the Faculty-Staff Relations Committee-John Allison, Pat Fewell, and Norbert Furumo.

V. Adjourn at 3:35 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy D. Marlow, Recorder

Future Agenda Items

A. Lisa Huson and Jeff Cooley-liability issues

B. Jill Nilsen-legislative and fund raising issues