FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR MARCH 9, 1999
Vol. xxviii, No. 22)

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:00 p.m. (Conference Room, Booth Library)

Present: J. Allison, J. Best, J. Coons, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, G. Foster, N. Furumo, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Guests: T. Abebe, L. Coons, S. Skala, J. Welsh, G. White.

II. Approval of the minutes of March 2, 1999.

Motion (Gholson/Fewell) to approve the minutes of March 2, 1999.

Corrections: Add the following statement to Section V-the discussion of the Proposed Center for Faculty Development. With regard to retention, this is retaining faculty rather than a personnel matter. It has nothing to do with promotion and tenure. Two names were misspelled in the list of candidates for election: Steven Daniel and Kathlene Shank.

Yes: Allison, Best, Fewell, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker. Abstentions: Eberly, Foster, Lockart, Zahlan.

III. Communications

A. Minutes of Council on Academic Affairs-February 25, 1999

B. Minutes of Staff Senate-January 27, 1999 and February 10, 1999

C. Notes from Environmental Health and Safety Committee-January 25, 1999

D. Faculty Senate Account Statement-February 28, 1999

E. List of Retiring Faculty for 1998-99 from Renee Stroud-March 2, 1999. There are 21 faculty members on the list.

F. Invitation from President Surles to Faculty Senate members for a reception on Friday, March 12, at 10:00 a.m.

IV. Old Business

A. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee. The committee has developed a list of vacancies for Senate appointment for Fall 1999: Apportionment Board (1), Campus Recreation Board (1), Civil Rights and Diversity Advisory Board (1), Council on Faculty Research (1 from Business/Economics and 1 from Biological Sciences), Financial Aid/Grants Committee (1), Health Services Advisory Board (2), Intercollegiate Athletics board (3), Judicial Board (10), Library Advisory Board (4), Radio/TV Board(10, Textbook Rental Services Advisory Committee (1 Faculty Senate representative), and University Union Advisory Board (1). The call will be distributed with the minutes of the next Faculty Senate meeting (March 23, 1999). The representative to the Radio/TV Advisory Board has reported that this Board has not met.

2. Elections Committee. The senators were thanked for their generosity with their time; all slots have been filled. Renee Stroud in Human Resources was also thanked for providing the faculty listing. There was some question whether late statements would be accepted; four were received.

Motion (Irwin/Toosi) to allow the publication of these late statements.

Discussion:

Last year we did not do this. People who are following the rules are being done a disservice.

The Senate passed a motion last week deciding on the procedure. Now we seem to be changing it. We sympathize with those who did not get their statements in, but our procedures have been clear. If we do accept late statements, we should give those who already submitted their statements a chance to revise them.

This situation is distinct from the situation last week.

Publishing the statements would better inform our constituents of the positions the candidates were taking. This supercedes the deadline.

It is possible for people to make statements through e-mail, listserves, and letters to the editor. If we have a deadline we should honor it.

Would we extend the deadline for petitions as well? Is there a difference between a deadline and a deadline?

People who have already submitted their statements would be disadvantaged.

Dealing with this issue with e-mail was probably a violation of the Open Meetings Act.

An e-mail message was sent to those who did not file statements. They were told that it was up to the will of the Senate, and there was no guarantee that the statements would be published. Those who did submit late statements will be informed of the Senate's vote.

Yes: Best, Fewell, Gholson, Marlow. No: Allison, Coons, Eberly, Foster, Furumo, Lockart, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan. Abstentions: Irwin.

3. Student Faculty Relations. Chair Tidwell attended the Student Senate meeting, and commended them for the way in which they handled the impeachment process. It was an educational experience for the students.

4. Faculty-Staff Relations.

Motion (Allison/Toosi) that the Faculty Senate urges the President, the Provost, the Vice President for business Affairs, and the Associate Vice President for Facilities Planning and Management to reduce or, if feasible, eliminate surcharges on services provided to academic units and academic support units.

Discussion:

The justification for this motion is that the institution should do what it can to prevent a channeling of financial resources away from its primary mission-instruction.

Such a reduction might come about simply by transferring funds from academic units to non-academic units.

This also happens in bond areas and some local accounts. However, in the academic units there are only state funds.

It is hoped that this motion is a beginning. If more needs to be done, we can pursue it.

If we do not try to move forward, we will lose the opportunity and not get anywhere.

It was suggested that the Vice President for Student Affairs be added to the motion. However, our main thrust should be Academic Affairs. We cannot solve all of the world's problems with one motion.

We should not add people to the motion have not been consulted. There is nothing to prevent even more progress from being made. We need the information before we can do this.

Yes: Allison, Best, Coons, Eberly, Fewell, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan.

5. Appointment of Research Committee. It was suggested that this committee be a drafting committee for the purpose of designing a questionnaire to be distributed to the Faculty. Chair Tidwell appointed Senators, Allison, Foster, and Toosi; Toosi will chair the subcommittee.

6. Screening Committee for Director of Financial Aid. They will meet this Thursday morning to discuss the 6 applications. If the committee decides that these 6 are sufficient, they will begin telephone interviews over Spring Break. Jone Zieren is the acting director.

B. Spring Forum. The official announcement will be distributed with the minutes of March 23 and March 30. A separate flier will be distributed the week before the forum. The forum has been scheduled for Tuesday, April 13, at 2:00 p.m. Those faculty who would like to speak during the forum should contact James Tidwell no later than Monday, April 5 at 5:00 p.m. They should also indicate which of the two areas (or both) they wish to address in their statements. After these statements are made, the discussion will be opened up to everyone else.

C. Distinguished Faculty Award. Items #3 and #6 of the Distinguished Faculty Award Fund are amended to the following: (3) Said Foundation shall, upon the order of the Chair of the Distinguished Faculty Award Selection Committee, pay annually one or two awards. The minimum award shall be 50% of the earnings available for award purposes. If the Committee selects only one recipient, at the discretion of the authorizing agent: (a) the award may be increased from the minimum described above. (b) excess earnings after the award may be returned to the fund as corpus or may be used to promote and support the award. Such uses include, but are not limited to, plaques, advertisements, press releases, and reception expenses. (6) The Said Committee shall be composed of four faculty members, two student members, and one alumnus. Of the faculty members, three shall be members of the Faculty Senate, or its equivalent. The fourth faculty member, who shall not be a member of the Faculty Senate, shall be appointed by the University President. Two students, one undergraduate and one graduate, shall be appointed by the Student Senate or its equivalent. One alumnus of the University shall be appointed by the Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association. The term of service for Committee members shall be one year. It shall be the responsibility of the Faculty Senate to initiate annual notification concerning the nomination and appointment of members of the Committee. The Chair of the Committee shall be elected each year by the membership of the Committee. Under no circumstances will faculty members serving on the Committee be considered for the award.

Motion (Irwin/Foster) that the Faculty Senate suggest these amendments to the Distinguished Faculty Award.

Yes: Allison, Best, Coons, Eberly, Fewell, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan.

This award was originally funded by the alumni. The Provost has agreed to purchase a large plaque; the Senate will purchase an additional plaque to be given to the recipient. The earnings on the fund this year are $1120.09. We could easily give $1,000 this year. It was noted that people can contribute to this fund through the Foundation by designating that their contribution go to the Distinguished Faculty Award Fund. Senators Fewell, Irwin, and Zahlan were appointed to the selection committee. Irwin will convene the committee. The other organizations have been asked to name their representatives to the selection committee. Chair Tidwell also found a list of the previous winners of the award. It appears to have been started in 1968, although there is no information for some of the years. Shirley Steward has been contacted about the possibility of placing the plaque in the Union. A memo should be sent to her that she would present to the University Union Advisory Board. Medal Décor in Springfield has also been contacted for a proposal for a plaque-one that will be able to contain about 60 names.

D. Retirement Reception. The reception for retirees has been tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, April 20, from 4:00 until 6:00 p.m. pending availability of the 1895 room.

Motion (Allison/Eberly) to authorize Chair Tidwell to buy pen sets for the retirees.

Yes: Allison, Best, coons, Eberly, Fewell, Foster, Furumo, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan. Abstentions: Tidwell.

V. New Business.

There was no new business

VI. Adjourn at 3:15 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy D. Marlow, Recorder