FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR OCTOBER 6, 1998
(Vol. xxviii, No. 7)

The Faculty Senate agenda is posted weekly on the Web, at 2540 Buzzard, and outside the BOG room in the library.

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:03 PM (BOG Room, Booth Library)

Present: J. Allison, J.Best, J. Coons, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, G. Foster, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused: N. Marlow, N. Furumo. Guests: J. Daughterty, C. Koerner, J. Nilsen, T. Sloup.

II. Approval of the minutes of 29 September 1998

Motion (Eberly/Allison) to approve the minutes of 8 September 1998 No corrections!

Yes: Allison, Best, Coons, Eberly, Fewell, Foster, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Tidwell, Toosi, Zahlan. Abstain: Walker.

III. Communications

A. Minutes of Council on Academic Affairs--24 September 1998

B. Minutes of Council on Graduate Studies--15 September 1998

C. Minutes of Staff Senate--9 September 1998

D. Flier announcing Fall Faculty Forum

E. E-mail from Jon Laible following up with answers to questions from last week's Senate meeting

F. E-mail from Gail Richard conerning campus master plan

IV. New Business

A. Carl Koerner, vice chair of the BOT spoke to the Senate and answered questions.

Mr. Koerner as a member of the Board receives Faculty Senate minutes weekly and makes a point to read them to get a sense of what is going on on campus. He expressed appreciation to the senate for inviting him to speak and to Gail Richard for her reports to the BOT for the last 2 years. In its first year, the BOT spent time getting acquainted and familiarizing themselves with their duties. In the last couple of year, they have been able to move beyond approving proposals and to start planning. The master planning committee is a good example of this. They have recently taken under advisement the renovation of Pemberton Hall. The emphasis now is making the building safe for its residents, whoever they may be.

Concerning the proposal for a faculty liaison to the Board, Mr. Koerner expressed the opinion that this was a legislative issue and not something the BOT could institute on its own. He encouraged faculty to continue attending BOT meetings and the senate to continue making reports. Faculty can also ask for discussion time with the BOT on areas of concern. These requests must be made 10 days in advance of the meeting, according to BOT policy.

Mr. Koerner reported that the presidential search is in good hands in the opinion of the BOT; they have confidence that we will find a good successor to President Jorns. Mr. Koerner expressed his appreciation for the cooperation between the current President and the Board to ensure a smooth succession. The BOT is looking to the future as an opportunity to build on our strengths and continue to improve relations with alumni and donors.

Questions were asked concerning

* the presidential search--Will we hire a PhD?

The Board intends to hire the best candidate, but the hope is that that person will have a terminal degree. We need the person who can best do the job. Faculty expressed that the new president must understand through experience the academic mission.

* relationship between the university and the foundation

The relationship has been recovering from some rough spots in the past. The new president will want to develop the relationship further. Everyone is looking for funds now, so we have to be persistent and patient.

* a faculty liaison to the board

After considerable discussion, it was agreed that the lines of communication between the faculty and the BOT could be improved. Having BOT members visit the senate is a step in that direction, but there needs to be communication in the other direction, too. Faculty were encouraged to bring areas of concern to the BOT by way of Acting VP Nilsen's office. The fact that BOT meetings are open must also be better publicized. Faculty suggested that a sitting faculty liaison to the BOT would improve communication. The BOT will try to see that its agenda get posted even earlier so that faculty know what is to be discussed before the 10-day deadline for getting onto the agenda.

* the VPER position

The vice president for external relations position is not yet permanent. If the new president decides to keep it, there will be a national search.

* internal governing policies

Some BOT members are concerned about apparent violations or neglect of some of the Internal Govening Policies. This may be on the agenda for the next meeting.

* terms of board members

Legislation is being drafted to extend board members' terms until their replacements have been named. This is a concern of all 12 state universities, all of which will have vacancies on their boards before the new governor has time to make appointments.

* supplemental appropriation to cover sick-leave buyout

This would have to be a statewide initiative. The presidents met yesterday. Dr. Nilsen did not know whether this was discussed.

* Pem Hall renovation

First concern is for fire safety. Governor and Mrs. Edgar may also do some fund raising to renovate Pemberton, since Mrs. Edgar and her mother are both former residents.

* role of trustees

It is difficult for BOT members not to micromanage the university, especially those who work in business. Their role, in Mr. Koerner's view is to set and enforce policy, advise the administration when asked, and offer opinions on important issues even if not asked. They must always keep in mind what is best for the university.

The senate thanked Mr. Koerner for coming.

V. Old Business

A. Fall Forum--Tuesday, 13 October 1998, 2-4 PM in Charleston-Mattoon Room of the MLK Union.

Any faculty members wanting to speak should contact James Tidwell in Journalism (cfjat); All faculty are strongly encouraged to attend!

Fliers arrived in faculty mailboxes today. The two topics will be Shared governance and Quality of Education at Eastern. Discussion is expected to cover the nature of shared governance, perceived and real threats to quality, how any threats to quality might be diminished, how we might identify our values as faculty in order to address both shared governance and threats to quality at Eastern. Chairs of major campus committees (CAA, COTE, CGS, UPI) will be invited to speak, and the student body president, deans, chairs, and other administators will be invited to attend.

B. Student Senate Recycling Initiative

The Student Senate initiative, brought to the faculty senate by J. Daughterty and revised by B. Irwin was approved. Motion (Foster/Lockart). Yes: Allison, Best, Coons, Eberly, Foster, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan.

WHEREAS, recycling is an area of concern for the University, and

WHEREAS, we are working towards the goal of 40% waste management, and

WHEREAS, we wish to reduce paper waste,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Faculty Senate supports the Student Senate recommendation that administration, faculty, staff, and students duplicate on both sides of paper whenever feasible.

C. EIU Foundation

Jon Laible provided information on questions raised at the 29 September meeting. Eastern's endowment compared to others in state (1997 data): EIU $14.1 million, WIU $9.2 million, SIUC $30.2 million, NIU $10.1 million, ISU $15.9 million. The Foundation owns a total of 985 acres of farmland: Brainerd, Mayer, Dougherty, and Warner farms. Dr. Laible is still researching the Redden fund, but his preliminary response is that these awards can probably be increased in number and/or amount.

D. Campus Master Plan

E-mail from G. Richard that the campus master planning committee is planning on holding a visual programming exercise. 5 senators were requested to take part in this exercise on 22 October 1998 at 2 PM in the FPM Conference Room. Allison, Eberly, Foster, Irwin, and Tidwell volunteered.

E. Committee Reports

1. Nominations Committee -- No report

2. Elections Committee

B. Irwin reported that mail election ballots for the Library CUPB representative will go out this week. No candidates were forthcoming for the openings on other committees. Candidates are still needed for a CAH representative to the Admissions Review Appeal Committee. Petition may be found on the 8 September 1998 Faculty Senate Minutes or contact Bonnie Irwin (6304; cfbdi)

3. Student/Faculty Committee

C. Eberly expressed his concern that the Homecoming Pancake breakfast, which was quite successful last year (750 in attendance) will be much smaller this year. It was more of a community event last year, but because of budget restraints, only 300 people will receive a free breakfast this year; others will be asked to pay $1.25. It provides a healthy and responsible alternature to beer breakfasts, and it is unfortunate that funding cannot be found to open it up to the entire student body. J. Daugherty reported from the audience that the homecoming committee has make parade safety a priority and there will be police and student volunteers at every corner on the parade route.

4. Faculty/Staff Committee

Staff members will be identified at the next staff senate meeting who will serve as liaisons with faculty liaison committee. The two subcommittees will meet soon after.

5. Presidential Search Committee

The next meeting will be the same day as the next BOT meeting: 19 October 1998.

6. Associate VPAA Search Committee

The search committees reported strengths and weaknesses of the candidates to the Provost last week. He will be placing follow-up phone calls this week before making his decision.

F. Other Old Business

Concern was expressed that the CUPB has not yet announced a meeting. If the charge back report is not forthcoming soon in that body, J. Allison requested that the issue of chargebacks be put back on the Seante agenda.

VI. Adjourn (Walker) 3:55.

Future Agenda Items

Discussion of Fall Forum

Solicitation of credit cards on campus

General education policy statement draft

User Services update--Bill Witsman and John Henderson to be invited at a future date

Pemberton Hall and other Honors Program Issues--H. Lasky will visit the senate on 10 November 1998.

Consultants' reports--why have we hired so many consulting firms lately? what have been the outcomes?

Respectfully submitted,

Bonnie Irwin

Senate Vice-Chair

 

Please Attend the Fall Forum!

Tuesday 13 October, 2 PM, Charleston-Mattoon Room