FACULTY SENATE MINUTES
FOR SEPTEMBER 8, 1998
(Vol. xxviii, No.3)

The Faculty Senate agenda is posted weekly on the Web, at 2540 Buzzard, and outside the BOG room in the Library.

I. Call to order by James Tidwell at 2:01 p.m. (Conference Room, Booth Library)

Present: J. Best, J. Coons, C. Eberly, G. Foster, R. Gholson, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, L. Walker, A. Zahlan. Excused: N. Furumo. Guests: T. Abebe, K. Franken, T. Sloup, A. Swearingen.

II. Approval of the minutes of September 1, 1998.

Motion (Walker/Foster) to approve the minutes of September 1, 1998.

Corrections: Under IV.G. and V.B. "P.M." should be added to the times. Under V.E. "legislation" should be "legislative". Yes: Best, Coons, Eberly, Foster, Gholson, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Zahlan.

III. Communications

A. Minutes of Council on Teacher Education-August 25, 1998.

B. Minutes of Council on Academic Affairs-August 27, 1998.

C. E-mail from David Radavich suggesting items for Senate discussion and/or items for Fall Forum

D. Summer School statistics from Office of VPAA

E. E-mail from Clay Hopkins regarding Panther Card problems

F. Memo from McCormick regarding Phi Beta Kappa Lecture on September 10, 1998, at 7:30 p.m. in Lumpkin 122. The speaker will be Dr. Paul Strohm, Tolkien Professor of Medieval Languages and Literature at Oxford University. The topic is "Culture Wars."

IV. Old Business

A. Fall Forum. This year's Fall Forum is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, October 13, 1998, from 2:00 until 4:00 p.m. in the Charleston/Mattoon Room of the MLK Union.

All faculty are invited to send suggestions for items for Senate discussion and/or a faculty forum to James Tidwell in Journalism. (Email: cfjat)

VPAA Abebe was asked to expand on his idea for identifying core competencies. He has talked to individuals across campus about identifying core competencies and they have expressed their interest. The purpose would be to identify those things that are inherently the best talent of the institution, intangible assets and capabilities that would take the institution into the future. These are the component of all the learning we have done as an institution. They need not be unique but they propel us to a higher level of performance. There are two purposes: to strengthen the institution and to focus and strengthen the faculty senate. Senate discussion raised the following points:

One of the things that is interesting is to ask ourselves what is the risk if we do not develop core competencies.This sounds like a long-term project. The Senate should start working on this for spring semester.It was suggested that we start by looking at the institution's SWOT statements for our strengths.

B. Applicability of Illinois Open Meetings Act to Campus Committees. There is no new information. It was suggested that Faculty Senate announce in the minutes where we post our agenda. This is done on the Web, outside Chair Tidwell's office (125 Buzzard), and outside the Senate's meeting place (BOG room in the Library).

C. Panther Card Problems with other Libraries. According to Clay Hopkins, the printed library number on the card is incorrect; however, it is coded probably. Thus, it is only a problem in other libraries. They are trying to find a software solution. Faculty members can visit the office (behind University Police) to receive a new card with a corrected printed number. Discussion raised the following comments:

Was anything else said about the use of cash on the cards? It was emphasized again that the card is like cash. If it is lost, any money on there is lost.

Reported lost cards may take two days to cancel.

Will students receive money left on the card back when they graduate?

Was a time frame given for solving the problems?

One senator was told that this card was designed to run on the token ring adapter, which is out-dated. It would be nice to have someone come and talk about the card-its status here and its use at other universities.

This issue will be revisited in about two weeks.

D. Senate Meeting with BOT Chair. Susan Gilpin suggested that the invitation be extended to Carl Koerner, Vice Chair of the BOT because of her demands with the Presidential Search Committee. He is on vacation, but something will be set up with him upon his return.

E. University Master Plan. Senators were reminded of the Town Meeting on Thursday, September 10, 1998. Discussion included the following:

The purpose of this committee was to gather data on areas of concern re the physical layout of the campus.

Is it appropriate to have last year's Senate Chair rather than the current Senate Chair serve on this committee? The Senate will see what happens at the Town Meeting and proceed from there-perhaps inviting Gail Richard to come talk to Senate.

F. Committee Reports.

1. Nominations Committee. This committee will meet Thursday, September 10, to discuss nominations for open positions. Chair Walker has asked for Senate representatives to elected and appointed committees to send copies of the committees' by-laws to him. If a committee has no by-laws, please advise him.

2. Elections Committee.

CAA. Allan Horney (elected alternate) will replace Ken Sutton Spring 1999.

UPC. Chris McCormick (elected alternate) will serve fall 1998. Rachelle Bergmann and Ali Moshtagh (Dean appointments) will serve spring 1999.

Sanctions and Terminations. Dell Champlin will serve out Bill Weber's term.

Admissions Appeal Review Committee. A representative is needed from Arts and Humanities to serve a 1 1/2 year term. Please note petition attached to these minutes.

Chair Irwin reported that she has received no petitions yet.

3. Presidential Search Committee. The Senators were reminded of Janet Greenwood's visit on campus, Wednesday, September 9, 1998. There are two faculty times and one open time. The next meeting of the committee has not been determined yet. There are three faculty members on this committee: Loretta Prather (FCS); Susan Kaufman (Journalism); and Bonnie Irwin (English). Faculty are encouraged to communicate any concerns with them.

4. Associate VPAA Search Committee. The committee met September 3, 1998 at 8:00 a.m. to offer final approval to interview questions and schedules and on September 4, 1998 to go through the initial cut of applicants and to divide into telephone interviewing teams. They are scheduled to meet again on Friday, September 11, 1998. Gary Foster is the Senate representative to this committee.

5. Student Tuition and Fees Review Committee. This committee went through the budget proposals-what was increased and why. Student government defeated the proposal to charge extra for more than 16 hours. The purpose of this additional charge was not to generate revenue but to contain costs by preventing students from registering for an overload of classes so they can drop the ones they don't want after attending the first class day. Chuck Eberly is the Senate's representative to this committee.

G. Other Old Business.

Bobbie Hilke's reassignment. A news release was sent out last week with the official announcement.

Modifying constitution and/or bylaws to include ex officio set for VPAA. This will be looked into later.

V. New Business

A. Summer School Statistics. A comparison of 1997/1998 summer school statistics was shared. However, these figures are on-campus only. VPAA Abebe will get off-campus figures as well as comparisons by college. Laurent Gosselin cautions that it is too soon to make conclusions about the effectiveness of the change in the contract for summer school. Discussion raised the following points:

 Budget  Student Credit Hours  # Teaching Faculty  Enrollment  # Sections
 1998  1,659,000  24,719  264  3,276  353
 1997  1,585,200  24,714  266  3,341  314

Administration could have taken more risks with summer school by waiting longer to cancel low-enrollment classes.

Student credit hours remained the same, but the number of sections increased. This was a benefit to the students.

If summer school is to be considered a third semester, faculty should be reimbursed at the same rate of salary as the other semesters.

With the two four-week sessions offered next summer, there is some concern that there are classes that cannot be taught in four weeks. There is still the 8-week option.

There may also be some success stories with summer school when the data is broken down. These should be examined to understand what things did work.

The plan did not work for classes that were more than 3 CU's.

Jeanne Simpson will be asked to attend a future Senate meeting to discuss Summer School.

B. Future Agenda Items.

1. Status of University Fund-Raising and Lobbying Efforts. Jill Nilsen will meet with the Senate September 22, 1998.

2. EIU Foundation-Jon Laible will meet with the Senate September 29, 1998.

VI. Adjourn at 3:40 p.m. (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy D. Marlow, Recorder