Faculty Senate Minutes
for September 21, 1999
Vol. xxix, No. 5

The Faculty Senate agenda is posted weekly on the Web, at 2504 Buzzard, and at 315K Coleman.

  1. Call to order by Bonnie Irwin at 2:05 p.m. (2504 Buzzard Building)
  2. Present: J. Allison, R. Benedict, J. Best, J. Coons, C. Eberly, P. Fewell, B. Fischer, G. Foster, B. Irwin, G. Lockart, N. Marlow, J. Tidwell, M. Toosi, L. Walker, B. Young. Guests: T. Abebe, K. Bielenberg, J. Maholy, S. Skala, M. D. Wohlrabe.

  3. Approval of the minutes of September 14, 1999
  4. Motion (Fischer/Lockart) to approve the minutes of September 14, 1999.

    Corrections: In Section III.H. (Communications) the University Union Board needs two faculty members. In Section IV.B. the original motion was omitted: Motion (Walker/Foster) to nominate Bailey Young to be the Senate’s liaison to the Library Advisory Board.

    Yes: Allison, Benedict, Best, Coons, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Foster, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Young.

  5. Communications
    1. 9-2-99 CAA Minutes. Dr. Lasky gave a report on the Honors Program. The main item of business was a discussion of a draft mission statement for General Education.
    2. 9-17-99 e-mail from Shirley Stewart regarding the Distinguished Faculty Award plaque. This will go before the Union Advisory Board, whose first meeting is scheduled for October 4.
    3. 9-7-99 CGS minutes. BIO 5380, Landscape Ecology was unanimously approved. A number of changes in course titles and descriptions were completed over the summer through executive action. Other discussion items included statistical consulting on campus, textbook rental policies for graduate students, and support for international programs.
    4. Copy of letter to Governor and Senate resolution regarding BOT.
    5. Copy of Presidential Inauguration Symposium Calendar and Calendar of Other Inauguration Events on campus.
    6. Copy of proposed memo from Irwin to Surles regarding October 12 meeting.
  1. Old Business
    1. Committee Reports
      1. Executive Committee. They will meet this Thursday with the President and Provost. The committee met last week to talk about their initial impressions of the survey data and other matters. Chair Irwin attended the CUPB meeting on Friday as the Senate representative. The executive committee was elected: Bock, Hine, Wall, Schnackel, and Weidner. The bulk of the meeting concerned the distribution of planning dollars. Each vice president made a report. There was a total of $506,000. The President took $100,000 for external relations because this is an area in which Eastern is far behind. At the meeting a question was raised about that sum of money. The President responded that we need to invest in the institution to get a return later on. Chair Irwin was requested to have the Executive Committee ask why that number ($506,000) was so small when more than $1 million was appropriated to the University. The CUPB meeting schedule was set for the year–1 per month through April. The planning process appears to be top-down, but it is not intended to be so. It is organized around the President’s goals but she wants to draw on initiatives from individual units. Most of the CUPB work takes place at the advisory committee level. The CUPB will be consulted throughout the planning process–earlier in the process than it has been before. VPAA Abebe explained that the State allocated more than $506,000, but at the top they had to exclude personnel services and deferred maintenance mandated by the State. This left the $506,000 in new money for new planning and initiatives. This was dispersed proportionately according to the base budget. Academic Affairs received $284,000. In terms of planning, the President made some observations about the campus, collected her thoughts, and then she set her six goals. Using those goals the vice presidents will make their planning statements. These will be distributed to the colleges and they can determine where they fit. In the past plans came from the departments and they became documents for disappointment. The University as a community began to question the entire planning process.
      2. Elections Committee. A conversation with the chair of COTE confirmed that the Dean of the COS will name an individual for the Senate’s approval from Area 1 of COS for a 1-year appointment. They also discussed election by areas. An examination of the by-laws indicated that these are areas with colleges not across colleges (as was the case with UPC). This is a teacher education forum and there are certifying issues within the different areas.
      3. Nominations Committee. There were seven committee/board vacancies. There were no volunteers for the Apportionment Board, IBHE FAC alternate, and Union Advisory Board. The committee recommends the following appointments: Environmental Health and Safety–Karen Ketler; Intercollegiate Athletic Board–Yunus Kathawala and Rick Seitz; Parking Advisory Board–Allen Davis; Student Publications Board–John Kilgore.
      4. Motion (Eberly/Lockart) to approve those nominations.

        Yes: Allison, Benedict, Best, Coons, Eberly, Fewell, Fischer, Foster, Irwin, Lockart, Marlow, Tidwell, Toosi, Walker, Young.

        The committee also recommends that we send out another call to fill those that are still vacant. Chair Irwin will also see that this gets into the Newsbits and Newsletter as well.

        Faculty are encouraged to volunteer to serve on the following University committees/ boards: Apportionment Board (2 positions) , IBHE Faculty Advisory Committee, alternate (1 position), and Union Advisory Board (2 positions). Please contact Lankford Walker (School of Business) by Friday, October 8.

        It was also noted that neither Walker nor Wandling had received any volunteers for the Child Care Committee. This is a voluntary committee.

        Faculty interested in serving on the Child Care Committee should contact Lankford Walker (Business) or Richard Wandling (Political Science).

      5. Faculty-Student Relations. The committee decided that it might be better to ask students to meet with the subcommittee once a month. When items especially pertinent for students will be discussed at Faculty Senate meetings, they could be informed so they could attend those meetings. Likewise, when items the are especially pertinent for faculty are on the agenda at Student Senate meetings, the faculty on this committee could be informed. They are still seeking names of interested students. They also recommend having some type of reception for members of Faculty Senate, Student Senate and Staff Senate. The committee will bring recommendations on the student code of conduct to Faculty Senate next week. Senators received a copy of the conduct code and a letter from Kohanzo that was sent to the campus. This will also be on next week’s agenda.
      6. Faculty-Staff Relations. At their October 14 meeting the Staff Senate will determine other members of their committee that is the counterpart to this committee.
      7. Search Committee for Graduate Dean. They will be scheduling their first meeting for the latter part of this month or the early part of next.
      8. Search Committee for University Counsel. This committee meets tomorrow (Wednesday).
      9. IBHE FAC. The committee met Friday, September 17 at Rockford College. Discussion centered on the role of the IBHE–which serves to mediate between the legislators and the University. Subcommittees were determined, and the meeting schedule was announced. Approved minutes for this group are on the Web site (linked to the Faculty Senate site).
      10. Presidential Inauguration. The mural project is set for October 7 and 8. There are four faculty hours; all faculty will be invited to participate on Thursday, October 7 from 1-2 and 4-5 and on Friday, October 8, from 11-12 and 2-3. Eighty faculty members are needed.
    2. Survey Results. A discussion of the faculty survey results included the following:

Allison, Benedict, Eberly, and Irwin volunteered to serve on the Drafting Committee to examine the documents and to develop 4-5 specific issues for the forum. They will try to have a report in two weeks.

    1. President’s Visit to Senate. Senators suggested some modification to the topics for the President’s visit to Faculty Senate. The Faculty Governance issues should be discussed first, then the President’s six goals. There was some question about the wellness issue although it is certainly timely.
  1. Adjourn at 4:10 (Walker)

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy D. Marlow, Recorder