Department Chair Review
- To serve as the initial, administrative contact in the formal grade appeal process; and
- To facilitate a resolution of the grade appeal issue that is mutually agreeable to the faculty member and student including changing the grade.
Upon timely receipt of the Grade Appeal Request, the department chair will:
- Verify that the student and faculty member completed the required informal conference. If the informal conference has not occurred, the chair will postpone any further action until that conference is completed or until the chair determines that the faculty member is not available for an informal conference.
- Provide written acknowledgment of the Grade Appeal Request to the student and written notification of the Grade Appeal Request to the faculty member.
- Provide a copy of this Grade Appeal Policy to the student and faculty member and address any questions raised by them.
- Schedule a Chair Review Meeting with the student and faculty member at a mutually convenient time. If the faculty member is unavailable for a meeting, the department chair will request that the faculty member provide documentation of the basis of the grade and may appoint another faculty member in the department to serve as a representative for the faculty member who assigned the grade.
- Conduct the Chair Review Meeting providing an opportunity for both parties to explain their positions orally and/or through written documents.
- Prepare a written summary of the meeting that, at a minimum, includes the following:
- a statement of whether any of the grounds for an appeal were valid,
- a statement of whether the grading issue was resolved to the satisfaction of the student and faculty member; and
- a statement of whether the student and faculty member agreed to a change of grade.