EIU Annuitants Association Constitution
EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY ANNUITANTS ASSOCIATION (10/07/2010)
1. This organization shall be known as the Eastern Illinois University Annuitants Association (EIUAA). It is a chapter of the State Universities Annuitants Association (Illinois (SUAA).
2 The purpose of the Association shall be to promote the individual and collective interests of its members.
3. Membership in the Association shall be open to all persons eligible for e State Universities Annuitants’ Association.
4. The affairs of the Association shall be administered by an Executive Committee of 12 members, four elected at each annual fall meeting of the Association for three-year terms beginning the following January 1. No member shall be elected to serve continuously for more than two consecutive terms.
The Executive Committee shall elect from its own membership a president, a vice president, a secretary, a treasurer, a membership chair and a newsletter editor. These officers shall serve in the same capacity for the Association. The term of office shall be two years; it will be one year if the officer’s current term as a member of the Executive Committee expires in one year. The member elected to serve as Vice President shall succeed the member elected to serve as President at the end of the current term of service. In subsequent elections, a new Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer shall be chosen. In addition, the immediate past President and Newsletter Editor may be appointed as ex-officio members of the Executive Committee.
Vacancies on the Executive Committee shall be filled, for unexpired terms, by vote of the members of the Committee. .
A majority of the membership of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum.
5. The Executive Committee shall appoint such committees as will further the work of the Association and shall arrange an annual spring meeting of the Association and such other meetings as shall be deemed desirable. At each meeting of the Association the Executive Committee shall report its activities and the activities of the other committees of the Association since the time of the last Association meeting.
6. Two members of the Association shall be chosen as directed by the Executive Committee to serve as members of the Board of Directors of the State Universities Annuitants Association. Members of this Board shall be elected for a term of three years, and no member shall be elected to more than two consecutive terms.
7. Each year prior to the annual fall meeting of the Association, the Executive Committee shall appoint a Nominating Committee to select candidates for the Executive Committee positions that are vacant or that will be vacated the following January 1 and to nominate these persons at the annual fall meeting of the Association. Additional nominations from the floor shall be invited.
At the close of the annual fall meeting the current president shall convene the persons who will constitute the Executive Committee beginning the following January 1 for the purpose of electing officers for those positions being vacated on that date.
8. Consultants may be invited to attend meetings of the Executive Committee or of the Association.
9. The dues for membership in the Association, which includes membership in the State Universities Annuitants Association, shall be set by the Executive Committee.
The financial records of the Treasurer shall be audited annually by a special committee and reported at the annual spring meeting of the Association.
10. Amendments to the Constitution, or a revised constitution, may be proposed by the Executive Committee or by more than 15 members of the Association. They may be adopted at any regularly called meeting of the Association by a two-thirds vote of the members present. Notice of the meeting and its purpose shall be given to members at least one month in advance of the meeting.
Approved September 1, 983. Par. 7 amended June 20, 1984. Par. 9, dues, amended June 20, 1985. Par. 9, complimentary membership, amended June 20, 1988. Par. 9, dues, amended June 7, 1989; Par 3 - Membership - Amended June 13, 2003; Par. 9 - Dues --, amended June 17, 2002; Par. 4 - officer succession - amended January 15, 2006-amended June 12, 08. Par. 4 and 7, amended October 7, 2010, date change of Executive Committee terms of service and meeting dates amended to reflect dates consistent with fiscal year beginning January 1 ending December 31. Par. 9, dues amended consistent with the State University.