Vince Gutowski, Ph.D.
Curriculum vitae (In Adobe PDF format)
Principal Teaching Interests
- ESC 1400G - Weather and Climate
- GEL 3420 - Principles of Geomorphology
- GEG 3800 - Introduction to Cartography
- GEG 3850 - Advanced Cartography
- GEG 3875 - Field Studies in Earth Science
- ESC/GEG 4430 - Undergraduate Research in Earth Science/Geography
- ESC 3020 – Natural Disasters: Causes and Effects
- ESC 3550 – Surface Water Processes and Resources
Principal Research Interests
Special Advanced Earth Science Field Experience for Teachers - Summer 2001
- Watershed Management
- Pleistocene Stratigraphy
- Lakeshore Erosion/Reservoir Restoration
- Environmental Controls on Atmospheric Particulates
2004 DiNaso, S. M., Sweeney, M. M., Gutowski, V. P., Henson, H., Gorny, J.R., Dove, D., “Total Station and GPS Methodologies Aid Surface Mapping of Archaeological Site”, Point of Beginning, Vol. 29, Num. 11, pp. 26 – 27.
2004 Gutowski, V. P. and Obia, G. C., “An Evaluation of Landowner Attitudes Towards the Landscape and Conservation Efforts: Hurricane Creek Watershed, East-Central Illinois”, Papers and Proceedings of Applied Geography Conferences, Burrell Montz ed., V. 27, pp. 100-110.
- 2002 Mundell, J. A., Beyer, G. B., Henson, H., Gutowski, V. P., and Dove, D. E., “The Use of Geophysical Surveys For Archaeological Excavation Planning at the Mitchell Springs Ruins in Cortez Colorado”, in Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems, Las Vegas Nevada, Feb. 10-14, 2002, Proceedings: Denver, Colorado, Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society, 10p.
- 2002 with D. Osterman, “Hurricane Creek Watershed Implementation Plan”, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Resource Conservation, Springfield, IL, 70 p., http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/watershed/case studies.html
- 2001 with K. L. Baumann, “Distribution of Fine Atmospheric Particulates: Central U.S. 1994-1998", Papers and Proceedings of Applied Geography Conferences, V. 24, Graham Tobin ed., Ft. Worth, TX, pp. 65-73.
- 1999 with K. L. Baumann " Seasonal Patterns of Airborne Dust in Illinois", Papers and Proceedings of Applied Geography Conferences, V. 22, Andrew Schoolmaster ed., Charlotte, NC., pp. 282-288.
- 1999 with A. K. Hansel, R. C. Berg and A. C. Phillips, "Glacial Sediments, Landforms, Paleosols, and a 20,000-Year-Old Forest Bed in East-Central Illinois", Illinois State Geological Survey Guidebook 26, Champaign, IL, 31p.
- 1998 with S. M. DiNaso, and Gary Dorch, "Streambank Erosion Evaluation: A GIS Project on the Embarras River, East-Central Illinois", Papers and Proceedings of Applied Geography Conferences, V. 21, Andrew Schoolmaster ed., Louisville, KY., pp. 88-93.
- 1996 "A Grassroots Watershed Management Association: Problem Perception Before and After a Basin Study", Papers and Proceedings of Applied Geography Conferences, V. 19, Andrew Schoolmaster ed. Kansas City, MO, pp. 25-30.
- 1993 "Benefits and Problems Using a Side-Channel Reservoir Configuration", Papers and Proceedings of Applied Geography Conferences, v. 16, J. W. Frazier ed., Toronto, pp. 8-16.
Technical Reports Written for External Grants
- 2006 with Don Dove, et. al., “Topographical Mapping Geophysical Studies and Archaeological Testing of an Early Pueblo II Village Near Dove Creek, Colorado”, Colorado Historical society Assessment Grant, Project No. 2004-AS-014, 152 p.
- 2004 Gutowski, V. and DiNaso, S., “Land Use and Conservation Implementation Tracking Database in Muddy Creek Watershed”, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Conservation 2000 Program Grant #ER-012-01, 8 p.
- 2003 Obia, G., and Gutowski, V., "Social/Decision Making Characteristics of Landowners/Operators in the Hurricane Creek Pilot Watershed Area", Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Conservation 2000 Program Grant #ER-008-00, 12/6/03, 13 p.
- 2003 Gutowski, V., and Fischer, R., "Response of Channel Characteristics and Fish Population to the Installation of a Bendway Weir Field: Embarras River near Greenup, Illinois", Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Conservation 2000 Program Grant #ER-007-99, 10/27/03, 29 p.
- 2002 Gutowski, V., and Osterman, D., "Hurricane Creek Watershed Implementation Plan", Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Pilot Watershed Program, Pilot Watershed Coordination Grant, 5/17/02, 69 p.