Godson Chintuwa Obia
Department of Geology/Geography
Currently: Associate Dean, College of Sciences
Research Interests (with main focus on Africa):
World Regional Geography (GEG 1200G) Cultural Geography (GEG 1100G) Human Impact on the Environment (ESC/GEG 3200) Economic Geography (GEG 3600) Geography and Culture of Africa (GEG 3050) Spaceship Earth (EIU 4101G) Survival of Humanity (CSC 3001) Quantitative Methods (GEG 3885)
Population, Resources, and Environmental Issues Rural Land Use and Agricultural Policy Rural Development and Poverty Alleviation Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Development Socio-Economic Issues in Watershed Management (an Illinois study) Minority Earth Science Initiative
Association of American Geographers (AAG) National Council for Geographic Education (NCGE) Association of Third World Studies Sigma Xi, The scientific Research Society
- 2004 Vincent Gutowski and Godson C. Obia. “An Evaluation of Landowner Attitudes Towards the Landscape and Conservation Efforts: Hurricane Creek Watershed, East-Central Illinois.” Papers of the 27th Applied Geography Conference, Volume 27, Pages 100-110.
- 2002 Godson C. Obia. "Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa." Chapter 13 In: Aryeetey-Attoh, Sam (ed.) Revised Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa. Englewoods, NJ: Prentice Hall Publishers.
- 2002 Godson C. Obia. “The African Great Lakes.” In: Zeleza, Paul Tiyambe and Eyoh, Dickson Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century African History. London, England: Routledge.
- 2002 Godson C. Obia. “African Environmental Movements.” In: Zeleza, Paul Tiyambe and Eyoh, Dickson Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century African History. London, England: Routledge.
- 1998 Godson C. Obia. "Strategies for Improving the Delivery of Local Community Infrastructure." Proceedings of the 12th Conference on the Small city and Regional Community, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.
- 1998 Godson C. Obia. "Some Misconceptions of Agricultural Production, Population, and Land Resources in Africa." In: Adjibolosoo, Senyo (ed.) Beyond the Veil: Some Misconceptions About African Development. New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
- 1996 Godson C. Obia. "Improving Health and Well-Being in Sub-Saharan Africa." Papers of the Applied Geography Conferences, Volume 19, Pages 245-252.
- 1996 Godson C. Obia. "Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa." Chapter 10 In: Aryeetey-Attoh, Sam (ed.) Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa, pages 286-324. Englewoods, NJ: Prentice Hall Publishers.
- 1993 Godson C. Obia. "The Physical Environment of the Platte River." In: Jenkins, Allan (ed.), Platte River Atlas. Fall 1993, pages 8-12.
- 1992 Godson C. Obia. "Brain Drain and African Development: A Model of Potential Benefits." Journal of Third World Studies, Spring 1993, Volume X, No. 2, pages 74-97.
- 1989 Godson C. Obia. "Survey Finds Nebraska Farmers Satisfied with Chapter 12 Bankruptcy." Small Farm Advocate, Volume XI, Number 2 (Fall), Pages 9-12.