Recommendations for the Student Teaching Experience in Driver Education
Department of Health Studies
The purpose of this document is to outline the recommendations for a productive student teaching experience in Driver Education.
Supervising teacher – Same as other discipline areas of supervision. Recommend that the teacher have an endorsement in Safety and Driver Education.
Cooperating teacher (CT) –Person should hold current teaching certificate with endorsement in Safety and Driver Education.
Student Teacher (ST) – must have received a grade of C or better in HST 3310 Introduction to Driver Education and HST 3320 Advanced Driver Education. No exceptions.
Sequence of Skill development for Classroom teaching
-same as any other classroom teaching in the other disciplines
Sequence of Skill Development for Behind the Wheel (BTW) instruction
NOTE: It is critical that the school confirm that the ST possess a valid Illinois driver license in good standing (as per section 252.40 Driver Education Personnel Requirements) and that the principal inform the insurance carrier for the School District and that a ST will be involved in the instruction of BTW phase of Driver Education. ST should not teach alone until the school has received approval from the insurance carrier. (The insurance carrier may require the CT to be in the vehicle at all times.)
1. Customary arrangements for the student teacher.
2. Student teacher will observe BTW instruction for a minimum of five lessons to assure that ST is familiar with curriculum content.
3. ST will familiarize themselves with instructional routes used by the school in conjunction with the CT.
4. Cooperating teacher will directly observe ST for a minimum of one week before allowing the ST to teach on own. The CT should determine a minimum level of acceptable teaching performance in:
- Vehicle control
- Error Identification
- Error Correction
- Procedural and Perceptual development
4. Once the Cooperating teacher is confident that the ST can handle the BTW instruction there should be agreement with the Supervising teacher that the ST is adequately prepared for BTW instruction.
5. The CT should evaluate the ST’s BTW instruction a minimum of three times.