|1999 marks the centennial of Old Main's completion and the beginning of classes a the Eastern Illinois Normal School in September of 1899. Normal schools prepared students intellectually and socially for teaching in township schools and city school districts. They embraced a core set of values regarding useful and practical learning, and promoted a democratic culture and a populist vision of teacher training.||
Old main as Icon. Students "hanging out" in front of Old Main. c. 1950, EIU Archives
Old Main's reflection in Lake Ahmoweenah.
|The one hundredth anniversary is an opportunity to reflect on the origins and growth of Eastern Illinois University, and the architectural and historical significance of Old Main. Like other art forms, architecture reflects conditions and attitudes of its time. Old Main developed from late nineteenth-century architectural, social, political, and educational values. The campus architecture is a road map of the history of the institution.|
Old Main. View from northeast corner.
c. 1900 from the collection of Gary Brinkmeier
"Their Beauty Strength and Grace are
|The first fifty years of campus architecture drew heavily on the Gothic Revival style. Gothic architecture had been associated with higher education ever since the founding of the Sorbonne University in Paris in the thirteenth century. Eastern's architects drew on the popularity of "Collegiate Gothic" in the normal school's early years.||
Booth Library is an example of Gothic architecture.
The Physical Science Buliding is an example
|Art Deco hit campus in the 1930s, by which time Eastern Illinois State Normal School had become Eastern Illinois State Teachers College. Ahistorical Modernism dominates the last fifty years of campus building, corresponding roughly to the school's existence as a university.|
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Union is
an example of Modernist architecture.
1996, EIU Archives
Copyright © 2000 by Localités/Localities, all rights reserved.
This work may be copied for non-profit educational use if proper credit is given to
Localités/Localities and/or Coles County Legal History Project.