Soon after the Construction Concentration was developed at the School of Technology, Eastern Illinois University, a group of students expressed their wish to start a “club that would be an extracurricular venue for construction students to grow and prepare for joining the construction industry work force.”
In 1998, the humble start soon became a Recognized Student Organization within Eastern Illinois University and Dr. Wafeek Wahby served as the faculty advisor to the club. The first fruit of the Construction Club was the development of a Construction Laboratory at Klehm Hall for the School of Technology.
Successive generations of students served as President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer, leading members towards achieving their career goals through technical and communication skills’ training sessions, as well as field trips to construction sites and plants.
On November 6, 2007, the Construction Club invited the EIU community and interested Charleston residents to participate in the First Construction Club Hands-On Training offered in Klehm Hall’s Construction Lab, KH 1118, and Production Lab, KH 1126. All majors and non-construction/non Technology students, including graduate students, and others were welcomed to the two simultaneously held training sessions: bricklaying and plumbing/pipe fitting and welding. Hands-on training was presented by 12 trainers from Lincoln Land Building and Construction Trades Council of Effingham and Champaign.