Knowing how much you can afford to pay, and whether or not living off-campus will be cheaper than living on-campus, is perhaps the most crucial information you need to know.
Make sure you've considered the following:
- Where will my money come from? Will I pay my rent from student loans? A job? Parents?
- Do I have enough cash up front to be able to pay a deposit and (possibly) first and last month's rent?
- What will it cost me to commute? Park on campus? Buy my own food? Do I need to keep my on-campus meal plan?
- How much will my utilities cost? Find out from landlord if they are included in monthly rent or not.
- How much can I afford to pay for rent?