Local Emergency Assistance for Students. In the event of an emergency, students abroad should first contact the on-site staff at the host institution or their faculty director. This is usually the best source of information and assistance in a foreign country. You can also contact the nearest U.S. Embassy and Consulate.

Visit Emergencies and Crises and Get Help in a Foreign Country to find out what to do in a variety of circumstances (i.e., lost/stolen passport, financial assistance, arrest/incarceration, etc.)

  • U.S. Department of State Switchboard: 1-800-877-8339 (from overseas: 1-202-647-4000)
  • Oversease Citizens Services: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444)
  • After Hours Duty Officer: 1-202-647-1512
  • Lost/Stolen Passports: Call 1-877-487-2778
  • Embassies/Consulates (varies by location)

Families in the United States whose U.S. citizen relatives abroad may be directly affected by the crisis can contact the Department of State through our Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management at (202) 647-5225.

Medical Assistance/Health Insurance. All students who study abroad through EIU are enrolled in an HTH International Health Insurance and Emergency Assistance Plan. For detailed information about this plan and securing help in the event of a medical emergency, click here. Much more than a typical insurance plan, members have a great number of benefits available to them, including Doctor Search, CityHealth Profiles, Security Profiles, News, Drug Translation Guide, Medical Phrases and Terms Translation, and Travel Health. What to do if you get sick while traveling.

  • Inside the US, call toll free 1.800.257.4823
  • Outside the US, call collect +1.610.254.8771

Eastern Illinois University. To reach the University in the event of an emergency, please call the EIU Police Department at (217) 581-3212. This information is detailed on the emergency card you received at pre-departure orientation.

Other important university phone numbers:

  • Dean of Graduate Studies, International Programs - (217) 581-6652
  • Counseling Center - (217) 581-3413
  • Health Service - (217) 581-3013
  • Housing Office at EIU - (217) 581-5111
  • Records - (217) 581- 3511
  • Financial Aid - (217) 581- 6405
  • Student Accounts - (217) 581- 3715
  • Registration Office  - (217) 581- 3831

Faculty Director Handbook: Emergencies Abroad