Basics For Partner Programs

Steps to Successful Study Abroad at EIU

Step 1. Choose a Program
Step 2. Application/Registration
Step 3. Passport
Step 4. Visa
Step 5. Financial Aid and Billing

Step 1 - Choose a Program

Students are welcome to make an advising appointment with the Office of Study Abroad. This is a great way to speak to someone who can help you find the program that is the best fit for you. The Office of Study Abroad is located in Blair Hall 1207 and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We can be reached at (217) 581-7267 or

Students are also encouraged to attend a general info session for additional information. Sign up online.

Step 2 - Application/Registration

You will need to fill out and print both the host and OSA application/registration materials on your chosen program information page, and turn them in to the Office of Study Abroad (1207 Blair Hall) before the application deadline. After submitting your application and materials, you will be waiting for your acceptance letter/package from your host institution. This will contain information for your program including housing, arrival/departure information, and your academic course work. Do not purchase your airfare until you have received your acceptance package because it will contain specific instructions about arrival information and orientation.

Once you complete your application, you are required to schedule a free Travel Consultation with Health Services. Call (217)581-3013 to schedule your appointment. You will need to bring a copy of the Travel Consult confirmation letter, signed by the individual who examined you, to our office.

Step 3 - Passport

If you do not have a passport, you will need to apply for one. While expedited service is available at an extra cost, regular processing can take up to 4 months. If a visa is required for your program, you will need to have a passport first, so don’t wait too long.

If you already have a passport, be sure that it does not expire within 6 months from your depature date (regardless of the length of your trip), or else you may not be allowed to board the plane.

Please refer to this form for more information on how to obtain a passport.

For more information, go to and click on passports.

Step 4 - Visa

A visa is your formal permission to be in a specific country for a specific amount of time. You may or may not need a visa depending upon your host country’s requirements and the length of your stay in that country (if one is required, it is usually a "student visa"). Visit Foreign Entry Requirements for general information on visa requirements and for more specific information about applying for a visa in your host country. Just click on “Visa Services” and it allows you to search a country's entry requirements, culture, travel conditions, economy, etc.

Wait for written confirmation of your admission status, and then follow the instructions to apply for your visa. Students are responsible for acquiring their own visas. The Office of Study Abroad only provides general information, as visa regulations and procedures are constantly changing.

Step 5 - Financial Aid and Billing

Take care of your EIU financial aid early! In order to qualify, you must have filed a FAFSA. Visit FAFSA On the Web for more information. Federal grants and loans can be used for study abroad and a number of EIU scholarships may also be available for study abroad purposes. If you indicated on your EIU Application Materials that you have financial aid, the Office requires you to meet with someone in the Office of Financial Aid. If you have questions about your financial aid package and how can it be applied to your study abroad program, call or visit The Office of Financial Aid.

An electronic bill is issued once a month around the first of each month. A notification is sent to each student's PantherMail letting the student know that a statement has been posted on the PAWS account. Students should pay prior to the due date, which is provided on the statement, in order to avoid a 1% finance charge. Students should look for their first bill for the Fall semester around August 1st, and December 1st for the Spring semester.