International Studies Abroad

Locations: Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, the Domnican Republic, England, Mexico, Peru, and Spain

What is the ISA-ELAP Program?

ISA is a third-party provider that arranges internship programs for students. EIU has a partnership with ISA which means EIU students can participate in an ISA study abroad program and earn EIU credit. With each ISA program, EIU students will pay their study abroad program fees directly to ISA. Your EIU student account will only be charged for the $300 EIU study abroad administrative fee. You will not pay EIU tuition or regular fees for the term(s) you are interning abroad.

ISA offers internship programs all over Latin America. 3-4 semesters of Spanish and junior or senior status are required for admission. For detailed information about program offerings, courses, dates, and fees for each program, go to ISA's volunteer / internship web site.

Examples of internship placements available:
*Orphanage in Costa Rica
*Women's shelter in Mexico
*Center for the blind in the Dominican Republic
*After-school programs in Argentina
*Medical clinic in Chile
*Labor law workshops in Peru
*Gardens in Cusco, Peru

ISA's mission statement:

ISA's mission is to provide high quality education abroad opportunities to American and Canadian college students at an affordable price. We recognize that we play an important role in the worldwide effort of international educators to increase individuals' awareness of cultures and societies outside of their own national boundaries. Our programs are designed to maximize our participants' learning abroad, and we understand that most college students need support and expert guidance before, during and after their time abroad. ISA is a Global Partner of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, and supports NAFSA's efforts to advance international education and exchange.

How does applying through a third-party provider like ISA work?

If you are interested in applying for an ISA program, you must fill out the EIU Study Abroad Application Materials and all ISA application materials as well as the internship applications for the program in which you are interested. You also need to submit a résumé in Spanish. Don't worry--your Spanish doesn't have to be perfect! All ISA application materials are located on their web site, and the application can be submitted online. Please make a copy of your online ISA application and turn it in, along with your EIU Application Materials, to the Office of Study Abroad (1207 Blair Hall) by the deadlines listed below.

Application Deadlines:

  • Fall, Summer, Academic Year: March 1st
  • Spring: October 1st

For EIU application materials, click on the links below:
EIU Application Materials
Also, please complete your Travel Consultation (as indicated in your EIU Application checklist).
Course Approval Form

Foreign Entry Requirements

To enter any of the ISA program countries, you must have a valid passport. If you are a U.S. citizen and do not currently have a valid passport, or if your passport will expire during the time you will be overseas, please go to the U.S. State Department web site for information on how to apply for/renew your passport.

A visa is your permission to enter a particular country for a specific amount of time. To find out if you need a visa for the country you plan to study in, please visit the U.S. State Department's web site. By contacting the Embassy of the country in which you plan to study, you will be able to determine what you must do to enter and remain in the host country during your study abroad experience.

Travel Document Systems (TDS) can also provide you with helpful information on every country, including entry requirements, cultural information, travel conditions, economy, and more.

You are strongly encouraged to read the U.S. State Department's Consular Information Sheet on the country where you plan to study. It will provide you with a great deal of information on your host country and will help you prepare for your trip.

**Please be aware that you are responsible for obtaining the most up-to-date information on the entry requirements for the country where you plan to study. The Office of Study Abroad only provides general information, as visa regulations and procedures are constantly changing. Please consult the Consulate for the host country for more information. **

Please note that EIU does not own, operate, or sponsor this program.