Link back to main EIU page
A to Z IndexApply Online with EIU
Alumni and Friends Parents Faculty and Staff EIU Students
Eastern Illinois University - Charleston, IL

EIU Logo

Auto Accidents While Driving a University Vehicle

Insurance Coverage

Auto insurance for employees driving vehicles on University business is provided by the State of Illinois through the Department of Central Management Services.

Under the plan, liability coverage is provided for:

  • State Officers;
  • EIU employees acting on behalf of the University in the course of employment; and
  • Any other person using any vehicle with written University authorization , provided the actual operation or use is within the scope of such authorization. Refer to the Internal Governing Policy entitled "University Fleet and Vehicle Services" for more information.

Note that students (unless they are student workers) are not covered under the plan unless specifically authorized to drive a University vehicle prior to doing so . Complete the University Vehicle Student Approval Request Form to gain authorization for a student driver.

Insurance Reporting Requirements

If you have an auto accident while on University business, please follow these procedures.

  1. Obtain an police report from the officer at the scene of the accident. It is important to obtain a police report in connection with all accidents except those that involve only damage to the University vehicle (no other property damaged) and/or accidents in which no injuries were sustained. It is very important , however, to obtain a police report in the case of an accident involving injuries .
  2. Notify your supervisor immediately.
  3. Notify the Vice President for Business Affairs (VPBA) Office immediately by calling (217) 581-2921. A detailed voice mail message, including a phone number where you can be reached, is acceptable. Please provide a full description of the accident and the following information:
    • Your social security number, job title and campus phone number
    • Was there property damage? (To a University or other vehicle, sign post, etc.)
    • Was anyone injured?
  4. Complete the accident report form (SR1) immediately after the accident. You may use the police report as a reference since all of the information required on the SR1 form is contained in the police report. Complete both sides of the SR1 form (including the drawing), sign it, and submit it to the VPBA Office, 1140 Old Main.
    • A blank SR1 form will be in the glove compartment of University vehicles.
    • Will be available from the police officer at the scene.
    • If you are out of town on an extended business trip, please FAX the completed SR1 form to the VPBA Office at (217) 581-3290.
    • If there is no SR1 form available, the damage involved only the University vehicle and there were no injuries, obtain the form from the VPBA Office, 1140 Old Main, upon your return to campus.
  5. In the event of an accident resulting in serious bodily injury or death, every effort should be made to speak to VPBA Office staff as soon as possible.
  6. In an emergency, please call 581-2899; or contact John Sigler at 348-7793 or 549-1804; Randy Good at 581-7225 or 345-5186; or Ed Arndt at 581-7574 or 234-3379.
  7. If you are driving your personal vehicle on business and have an accident, notify your personal insurance carrier and complete steps 2 & 4 listed above.

We sincerely hope these procedures will not be necessary. However, if you are involved in an accident, please make reporting a priority. According to Central Management Services regulations, failure to report accident information within 7 days of the date of the accident could result in forfeiture of coverage.

Handling Repairs While On The Road

Should a University vehicle develop mechanical problems while away from the Charleston area, drivers should take the following actions:

  1. Take the vehicle to a garage that handles the make of vehicle you are driving.
  2. If repairs will not exceed $150, proceed with repairs and request that billing, for services not covered under any warranty, be sent to Eastern Illinois University, Motor Pool, 600 Lincoln Avenue, Charleston, IL 61920.
  3. Request that billing be prepared in duplicate and that all services and parts be itemized on the invoice, including all work done under warranty.
  4. After verification of all charges, sign both copies, writing your full name and including the name of the department in which you work.
  5. Retain one copy of the billing and turn it in to Motor Pool personnel at the end of your trip.
  6. In the event the service shop will not extend credit, the driver may pay the bill and submit it to the Motor Pool for reimbursement. The traveler's request for reimbursement must be supported by an itemized, receipted invoice and a letter explaining the problems encountered.
  7. Drivers of assigned vehicles who experience mechanical difficulties or need repairs made amounting to more than $150 should call the Motor Pool at (217) 581-2899 if they are unsure as to how to handle the situation. After regular working hours, call Mr. John Sigler at 348-7793 or 549-1804.
  Eastern Illinois University :: 600 Lincoln Avenue :: Charleston, IL 61920-3099 :: 217-581-5000 :: Contact Us :: Maps & Directions :: Text Only
Privacy Statement :: Confidentiality Statement :: Mission Statement :: Federal and State Mandated Information